PDA

View Full Version : Koni Red settings

carotman
05-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Ever since I've installed my Koni Red struts, I felt that the car was a little too bouncy for me. I liked the way the Tokico blues rode but the fronts were way too soft. I have Neuspeed Sport springs so the struts don't have to be that stiff to work properly.

The 1st time I installed the Konis, I set both the front and the rear halfway in the adjustment range. The ride wasn't that bad but sometimes the car felt like I was riding a horse hahahah.

I kept this setting for 2 years (I only use the car in the summer anyway) because I was too lazy to take everything apart and readjust them.

A friend of mine had the same exact setup on his Integra. He set the Konis at 1/4 turn from full hard. The ride was nice and firm but not bouncy.

I tried the same with my konis... that was a bad Idea. Wile the "horse riding" effect got a bit better, the ride was harsh and I really hated it.

I re-adjusted them today. I set the front at 1 turn from full soft and the rears at 1/2 turn. I have yet to ride them for a while but so far I got my comfort back! I have yet to see if the front is bouncy like it was with the tokicos but I would be really surprised it it was.

So, the best comfort setting I have found so far for Konis/Neuspeed Sport is the 1 turn front, 1/2 turn rear.

I'm posting this here because the Koni Red struts need to be taken out of the car to be adjusted, which is really time consuming and a trial/error adventure.

In a somewhat near future, I'll send them back to Koni to have them converted to a Koni Yellow SP3 spec. My girlfriend has these struts on her 98 Accord and they're just great!

rustlude87
05-26-2008, 08:06 PM
how long have you driven on them? The need some wear in time

mykwikcoupe
05-26-2008, 09:39 PM
konis in my opinion have a lot stiffer stock setup than any other manufacture strut Ive ever had. I believe on my sprint springs its setup as 3/4 turn hard from full soft and 1 1/4 turn from full soft for the rears.

I had the same issues when I ist did mine. I had them set from full hard to soft in the same settings as per Gordon at Koni and it literally rode on the frame. Like the suspension has comprised of welded suspension and wagon wheels. It was terrible. I havent had it weight balanced lately since I stopped autocrossing the car.

AccordB20A
05-26-2008, 09:57 PM
i have my koni yellows on half way on the fronbt. my rears arent installed so i am running on stock 280,000kms shocks. handles good but bodyrolls in the rear but no bouncing up front. Maybe set your fronts to 1/2 and your rears on min to 1/4 ? I aint no expert. i am running with King Springs BTW

frantik
05-26-2008, 09:58 PM
i've been running on i think 1/2 turn from full stiff which is what the instructions say to start at and then adjust to taste. when i first had them they were super harsh but once they broke in they ride nice. still a bit stiff but i like it. i run koni reds in front tokico in back with sportline springs

MessyHonda
05-27-2008, 12:43 AM
this is good news for me because i am running the same neuspeed springs that are 1.5 inch drop. i plan on sending my konis in so they can convert them to yellow....what is the difference between regular yellow and SP3 yellow?

carotman
05-27-2008, 03:27 AM
The SP3 has additional grooves for the spring seat. 1 stocker 2 higher and 2 lower. You can lower the car by changing the spring seat location. It's like having fixed height coilovers (without the threaded sleeve). The regular Yelows have only 3 grooves

knarg
05-27-2008, 04:39 AM
you mean the sp3 yellow has 3, the original yellow has only one?

or that the sp3 yellow has more than 3?

carotman
05-27-2008, 05:25 AM
The SP3 has 5 grooves, the Yellow usually has 3, the red has 2

knarg
05-27-2008, 05:47 AM
i didn't notice that on my koni reds... is it stock and lower?

carotman
05-27-2008, 07:15 AM
No... stock and higher :(

The Yellows have high, stock and low
The Yellow SP3 have 2 high, 1 stock, 2 low

They're sold through the Neuspeed website (not for our cars of course).

MessyHonda
05-27-2008, 01:44 PM
so your saying that the spring can be moved up and down...here is a pic of my stock konis
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/DSCF3085Medium.jpg

1GEN
05-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Those are some dirty ass shocks Messy.

/derail

carotman
05-27-2008, 03:26 PM
yes, remove the spring seat and you'll see a circlip that can be moved

AccordB20A
05-27-2008, 04:59 PM
my yellows have a clip and ring but no other settings to move the spring

88Accord-DX
05-27-2008, 08:07 PM
I don't know about settings, but mine are so stiff it knocked out the rubber mounting on the top of the strut. (on one side)

MessyHonda
05-28-2008, 12:16 AM
Those are some dirty ass shocks Messy.

/derail

lol...i got them at the junkyard yo....they are still dirty till i get money to send them in and get everything done to them. im looking at like 900~1100...i was saving but i got rims instead...next time i wont be so tempted

88LXi68
05-28-2008, 02:11 PM
my converted konis definitely do not have any additional grooves

fogged
05-28-2008, 04:02 PM
I have a set of H&R springs. No struts as of yet. Still looking to find the best set I can get. My ? is. What Konis do I have to get, and how much is it to convert them to SP3? Which sounds to be the best strut so far.
My lil bro has a set on his teg with the same H&R springs I have. I just couldnt get the SP3s for my car.

carotman
05-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Hmmm, I guess you have to ask for the extra grooves then :(

AccordB20A
05-28-2008, 05:18 PM
ill be doing that when i get my rear shorted so i can "try" and get my ride height level. but lower than stock

knarg
05-28-2008, 06:10 PM
my ride height is definitely not level

im suspicious that my rear koni's are on the higher perch

although i think that the sprints are intended to be slanted

EricW
05-28-2008, 06:47 PM
I have my Koni's adjusted to 3/4 of the way to full stiffness for use with my ground control coil overs.

If you use the higher settings on the strut when you lower it the car won't be lowered as far but there will be less chance of the strut bottoming out.

88Accord-DX
05-28-2008, 09:03 PM
I remember asking about this years ago & now remember looking at these instructions pointed out to me by a member here. (dug this link up from the archives)

http://www.koni-na.com/comp.html[/QUOTE]

markmdz89hatch
05-29-2008, 03:48 AM
awesome link. thanks for posting it.