PDA

View Full Version : 2 whole cars. easy swap?

devo
05-27-2008, 05:18 AM
i ve done some searching. and i cant find the info i need. ive read its hard to swap back and forth from efi to carb and vice versa. i have one 89 accord lxi with 84000 on the clock but the transmission and body are in bad shape. i have also found an 88 accord (i dont know the badge) but its carbureted and the transmission supposedly works and its in PA and they have a thing about rust. so i need to know if i have both whole cars, im assuming it wont be that hard? if it is i can still swap the transmission yes/no? thanks for reading, thanks for the help.:dunno:

carotman
05-27-2008, 05:25 AM
If you have both cars, this will be alot easier to do the swap. That's how I did mine.

jdmaccordnut
05-27-2008, 05:33 AM
Seems like the hardest part is the interior... you have to remove everything... columns, pedal box, etc.

devo
05-27-2008, 05:44 AM
i just want to swap motors, not the interior.

jdmaccordnut
05-27-2008, 07:15 AM
i just want to swap motors, not the interior.

Yes, but to go from carb to EFI = removing the entire dash. The interior wiring harness is different, so ALL of the interior needs to come out. Plus the ECU for the engine is under the passenger seat. Read the how to. The interior really is a lot of work.

oscwrestler
05-27-2008, 08:54 AM
and everyone says just swap to efi haha. with how much work it is why not just buy an lxi with a 5 speed?

jdmaccordnut
05-27-2008, 09:47 AM
and everyone says just swap to efi haha. with how much work it is why not just buy an lxi with a 5 speed?

1. Hard to find.

2. Even harder to find in decent condition.

devo
05-27-2008, 10:22 AM
ouch. ok, so not so easy. that sucks cause my body is shot and it needs a tranny. i went to look at the carby and it looks so much better and it has a working transmission. ah fooey!

levon2008
05-27-2008, 04:10 PM
i Did this the other day. The interior is a nightmare Took me 16 hrs to rewiret the whole car. Have fun with the airconditioning box the heater core and the fan to blow it all. This will give you a head ache. If thats not enough wait until you get under the steering colum and try to remove the pedals, drop the colum or you will bang your head against it and curse like no other. Once you get it all removed and put back together it might not look as good as you expected. Just the heads up, Take your time and remove everything slowly. My buddy messed his car up, haha well good tip practice at the junk yard first.

Levon

levon2008
05-27-2008, 04:12 PM
durr forget last post a bit tired thought you said you were swapping the interior man time for bed.

Civic Accord Honda
05-27-2008, 04:13 PM
i swaped my interior (Went from maroon to brown) it wasent that hard took about a day

carotman
05-27-2008, 04:57 PM
i swaped my interior (Went from maroon to brown) it wasent that hard took about a day

Hmmm. I think of all the interiors available for the 3G, brown is the worst :p Maroon isn't great either (esp if it's from a JDM Coupe). Gray and blue are not too bad, Black is the best.

Civic Accord Honda
05-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Hmmm. I think of all the interiors available for the 3G, brown is the worst :p Maroon isn't great either (esp if it's from a JDM Coupe). Gray and blue are not too bad, Black is the best.
yeah i kinda agree i just hated maroon (Dont like the maroon on anything tbh) dont like brown to much ether but i like it better then maroon lol
i think from worst to best is maroon brown blue black grey tan/black tan/black leather grey leather lol

russiankid
05-27-2008, 05:42 PM

My doo-doo brown looks decent. Anyways, I stripped my whole interior minus the dash in about 4 hours. So give or take two days to get it all done.

A18A
05-27-2008, 07:04 PM
swapping the gearbox into the lxi would be the easiest, but since it has a bad body i would just swap the carbed one to efi.

AccordB20A
05-27-2008, 07:08 PM
yeah i agree with matt

the best interior colour is "off black" eg what i have. a real dark grey

devo
05-27-2008, 09:29 PM
guy only wants 300 for the carbed car so im gonna pick it up if not just for parts/transmission as i need a master cylinder as well.

MessyHonda
05-28-2008, 12:29 AM
yeah the efi to carb swap might take up to a week to do....i took apart my interior off my dx in 2.5 hours with the help of my friend...the best thing to do is to buy a new carpet...they are only 115 but its better than trying to wash and paint the old one

jdmaccordnut
05-28-2008, 05:39 AM
yeah the efi to carb swap might take up to a week to do....i took apart my interior off my dx in 2.5 hours with the help of my friend...the best thing to do is to buy a new carpet...they are only 115 but its better than trying to wash and paint the old one

Who said anything about the carpet being bad?

MessyHonda
05-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Who said anything about the carpet being bad?

most 20 year old carpets dont last that long...mine was ok even after i washed it

devo
05-28-2008, 10:03 PM
can i get a replacement lower control arm bolt anywhere? i had the nut on the end but it still got a little chewed and i cant get the nut back on.

MessyHonda
05-28-2008, 11:09 PM
i think i paid like 40 bucks for all new bolts in the front end suspension...would rather be safe than sorry...cuz my car sees 110mph daily