PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Advice

hiptech
05-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Greetings Guys,

Haven't posted here in a while (or anywhere else actually) but I could use a little help with selecting a fuel pump for my wife's '93 SE. I realize it doesn't qualify here as a Gen 3 but I was hoping you might make an exception since I previously owned an '89 SE-i
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54696

Anyway the car has trouble starting only first thing in the morning, not when it's warmed up - only once per day. Took it to an independent Honda mechanic and he diagnosed it as a failing fuel pump. BTW, he tried replacing the fuel pump relay and did a soak down test (whatever that is) but it didn't help.

To replace the fuel pump will run about $600 if he does it. Since I have more time than money right now I thought I'd give it a shot. I have the Helm manual, tools and would like to give it a try. I know I will need to drop the tank to get access so I have been running the gas out and soon will be ready to go.

I found a dealer in PA who can sell me a Honda OEM fuel pump assembly for $264.22 without S&H if I order before the end of May. I've seen aftermarket fuel pumps without the assembly for anywhere between $30-$150, this site seems to have a good selection:
http://www2.partstrain.com/store/index.php?Ntt=Fuel%20Pump&N=1631+10605+4294967005

Since I've only used Honda parts in the past I was wondering if anyone had any experience with another brand of fuel pump? More importantly, is the quality as good? The last thing I want to do is go through the trouble of dropping the tank, replace the pump and find I need to do it over again in 6 months because some cheapo pump died.

Thanks, any advice or help would be appreciated.

Oldblueaccord
05-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Look for a hatch on the floor to access the pump from the top. I hear pretty good things about Walbro pumps. Try to get one that has more or less stock specs esp in the pressure department.

I would also look at your main relay if you have not replaced it already. Your symptoms dont sound like thats the problem but its easy to jump out to test.

wp

hiptech
05-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Look for a hatch on the floor to access the pump from the top. I hear pretty good things about Walbro pumps. Try to get one that has more or less stock specs esp in the pressure department.

I would also look at your main relay if you have not replaced it already. Your symptoms dont sound like thats the problem but its easy to jump out to test.

wp

Thanks for the reply and advice on the Walbro pump but according to the Helm manual the Gen4 Accords need to drop the fuel tank to access the pump. Wish it was the same as the Gen3s, that would be so much easier.

Since the mechanic kept the car for over 4 days and replaced the main relay with no luck it pretty much looks like the pump is it. According the Helm manual, the pump has a check valve to keep the pressure from dropping and after 15 years it looks like this one is starting to let go.