PDA

View Full Version : DOHC ZC compatible with the B20A??

bullard123
05-27-2008, 03:54 PM
It seems like the ZC engine is very close to the B20A. When I had my hatch in the shop they swore up and down it was a ZC engine. I hear the DOHC ZC only makes 130 hp which makes the B20A still better

carotman
05-27-2008, 04:55 PM
The ZC DOHC is as close as the B20A as it is from the B18A.

The only thing that makes them look similar is the valve cover configuration.

The 86-87 ZC DOHC share the same distributor/cam sensor flange mounts

AccordB20A
05-27-2008, 07:10 PM
also aparently alex found out the big end bearings from the ZC is the same as the B20A lol
gearboxes arent tho. they are close but not quite. u can use a ZC clutch plate on most A20A's

bullard123
05-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Yes I think they are very similar. I wouldn't be suprised if engine importers confused them with B20A's

bullard123
05-27-2008, 08:25 PM
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/5296/zcpic1ib1.jpg
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/7642/zcpic2ns0.jpg

mykwikcoupe
05-27-2008, 08:30 PM
wow chek out the window in that top block pic. You can see the mountains with that view. Hope its not yours

TWOLOUDNPROUD
05-27-2008, 08:33 PM
I wonder if the valve springs and retainers from DOHC ZC will work in the B20a?

AccordB20A
05-27-2008, 09:52 PM
i think the valves are the same size too from memory. those ZCs are the blacktop varity from 1988 onward the 84-87 ones have a brown covers and the rocker cover bolts are in the center

MessyHonda
05-28-2008, 12:32 AM
did anyone notice the hole in the block in the first pic?

evil88accordLX
05-28-2008, 07:15 AM
^^^ I Did! I Did!

bullard123
05-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Yeah that hole is huge...It looks like the mounting points are the same as the B20A too

Ichiban
05-28-2008, 03:11 PM
wow chek out the window in that top block pic. You can see the mountains with that view. Hope its not yours

Gotta keep those block windows closed or your connecting rods will get out when you're not looking and you'll never find 'em.

mykwikcoupe
05-28-2008, 06:04 PM
I wonder if the valve springs and retainers from DOHC ZC will work in the B20a?

Ill check a reply i got from rjudgey but he was saying the H23 retainers work but he needed to check and see if the reliefs are in the same spot or not.

AccordB20A
05-28-2008, 07:44 PM
theres nowhere to bolt the front mount on. the mount on the sides the same on every honda nearly.

GraniteLXI
05-29-2008, 11:40 AM
I believe the ZC puts out 150 hp if i remember right....I mean i did own a ZC civic for a short period of time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWScNJNxoJ4
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff14/GraniteLXi/1990CivicHatchZCengine.jpg

I liked the config the guys had on my ol civic... (except the water for coolant in the middle of winter) The engine had great accelleration and the tranny was perfect. And many times i have thought B20's were ZC's The ZC is a 1.6 i think compared to the 2.0 B20.

I'm not sure on their compatibility, i only had that car for 3 or 4 days til it froze up. Hope the info may help in some way :)

rjudgey
05-29-2008, 11:28 PM
ZC are 125-130bhp depending on if it had a CAT or not or if it were the early ones with the gold tops.
Good little engines heads were a bit porous though, the gearbox's on the early ones in tegs and CRX mk1 are the same as A20 apart from the bellhousing but the ratios are much higher due to the extra revs the little engine use to pull.

The cluitch plate on the early ones is the same as carbed prelude and 2G accord but as far as i know doesn't fit A20 engines but the later ones might from the balck top D16's.

And yes looking into using H23 reatiners Valves and Valve guides, they seem to be a fit for the B18A as well so i'm hoping that they will drop into the B20A as well, the valves are too big for B18A but looking at the dimensions H23 inlets could be used on B20A inlets they are only 1mm shorter which could easily be rectified with caps on top of the vlaves or by machining the seat a little deeper for the new valve either way 1mm is bugger all so i can't see why it won't work. Either that or get SI Valves to make them in 34mm seems odd they don't offer an oversize when all the rest of their range does!! But the exhaust valves i have made from the 33mm inlet valves will work nicely whoever said that exhaust valves are different in size to inlets is hugely mistaken the stem diameter and collet location is exacly the same so it's very easy to remachine a quality aftermarket inlet valve and reduce it's head size to 30mm for use as a exhaust valve.

Hoping to use the crower valve train set for the H23 also looking into cams will the B18A crower cams fit out B20A engines as well or do they need some kinda of modding??? BTW won't be using the cam sensor as will be using Weber Carbs on this build for mine.

bullard123
05-30-2008, 06:53 AM
I believe the ZC puts out 150 hp if i remember right....I mean i did own a ZC civic for a short period of time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWScNJNxoJ4
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff14/GraniteLXi/1990CivicHatchZCengine.jpg

I liked the config the guys had on my ol civic... (except the water for coolant in the middle of winter) The engine had great accelleration and the tranny was perfect. And many times i have thought B20's were ZC's The ZC is a 1.6 i think compared to the 2.0 B20.

I'm not sure on their compatibility, i only had that car for 3 or 4 days til it froze up. Hope the info may help in some way :)

Nice! So what happened to it? It overheated due to lack of antifreeze?

bullard123
05-30-2008, 06:55 AM
ZC are 125-130bhp depending on if it had a CAT or not or if it were the early ones with the gold tops.
Good little engines heads were a bit porous though, the gearbox's on the early ones in tegs and CRX mk1 are the same as A20 apart from the bellhousing but the ratios are much higher due to the extra revs the little engine use to pull.

The cluitch plate on the early ones is the same as carbed prelude and 2G accord but as far as i know doesn't fit A20 engines but the later ones might from the balck top D16's.

And yes looking into using H23 reatiners Valves and Valve guides, they seem to be a fit for the B18A as well so i'm hoping that they will drop into the B20A as well, the valves are too big for B18A but looking at the dimensions H23 inlets could be used on B20A inlets they are only 1mm shorter which could easily be rectified with caps on top of the vlaves or by machining the seat a little deeper for the new valve either way 1mm is bugger all so i can't see why it won't work. Either that or get SI Valves to make them in 34mm seems odd they don't offer an oversize when all the rest of their range does!! But the exhaust valves i have made from the 33mm inlet valves will work nicely whoever said that exhaust valves are different in size to inlets is hugely mistaken the stem diameter and collet location is exacly the same so it's very easy to remachine a quality aftermarket inlet valve and reduce it's head size to 30mm for use as a exhaust valve.

Hoping to use the crower valve train set for the H23 also looking into cams will the B18A crower cams fit out B20A engines as well or do they need some kinda of modding??? BTW won't be using the cam sensor as will be using Weber Carbs on this build for mine.
Good info rjudgey. So it puts out only 130 hp? Wow thats pretty low for a DOHC engine. Well if its only a 1.6L engine Honda had fuel economy in mind

GraniteLXI
05-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Nice! So what happened to it? It overheated due to lack of antifreeze?

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63152 a thread that started on a very good note....

rjudgey
06-27-2008, 02:17 PM
Acutally for the time it was very powerfull one of the most powerfull 1.6 you could get in 86 if you think what else was out at the time it was very good. Yes later on in 89 onwards other cars had 2.0l engines and were producing more power and torque a typical engine was a Cosworth with DOHC and 16 valves which were making 150bhp stock but then Honda brought in the Vtec B16A which had more bhp combined with better economy plus the ultra high revs from the Vtec cams. But to be honest you only had to breathe on a D16ZC and you would seriously improve power output if you look at the mugen engine kits they would improve power output to around 160-170bhp which is more than the Vtec. But in general all honda engines are able to be improved upon considerably but maybe the non vtec ones benefit the most.

2oodoor
06-27-2008, 02:41 PM
this is probably better suited on a new thread but anyhow, if an aluminum plate was cut to modify the B20A block to accept another tranny, which tranny would be closest in configuration.
I have been looking at some jeep and toyota adapters, it seems like this can be done.

stat1K
06-28-2008, 08:08 AM
if you're going to make adapters i would just make an adapter to the d-series trans since they are a dime a dozen and super cheap. i picked up 2 si cable trans for d-series one for 40 another for 20... the one for 40 had a broken fork... the one for 20.... haha was fine... but why would this thread ever be a discussion as far as the original post? Is the b20 compatible with a D16a1/8/9/ZC it's just ridiculous.

2oodoor
06-28-2008, 08:20 AM
if you're going to make adapters i would just make an adapter to the d-series trans since they are a dime a dozen and super cheap. i picked up 2 si cable trans for d-series one for 40 another for 20... the one for 40 had a broken fork... the one for 20.... haha was fine... but why would this thread ever be a discussion as far as the original post? Is the b20 compatible with a D16a1/8/9/ZC it's just ridiculous.

I am guessing it was meant to be a feeler thread for parts compatability. Transmissions, valve train parts, experiences and discoverys. Nothing wrong with that.
My post was a feeler for any observed comparisons to the physics and bolt locations that would be more favorable for the most simple and durable adapter configuration.

rjudgey
06-30-2008, 01:28 AM
My Old man had a Civic SI with a ZC inside came as stock in U.K. and although they look similar on outside theres nothing inside that is compatible, the valve springs are smaller, valves are smaller, and the rockers are different i think as well, if anything they might be the same but i doubt it. The B20A was just a much bigger beefed up version of the D16ZC, bigger pistons, bigger, valves, bigger valve train, bigger rods. After getting all the parts for my B20A buildup did a parts check and the H23 Crower rods with B20A5 forged pistons are exactly same dimensions as the stock items, also the B18 crank is the same as well although i couldn't find my vernier gauge to 100% check but the length of crank and everything else looked the same when i put them next to each other. Next up is to fit the crower rods and to see if i need to notch the bottom of the cylinders for them to clear hopefully i won't need to the bottom part is no bigger than stock but the neck of the rod is quite a bit thicker than stock so that maybe an issue i will have to find out later. Just need to work out if i can use the B18/H23 bronze valve guides has anyone tried these in a B20A or have the B20A stock guide dimensions handy??

2oodoor
06-30-2008, 02:37 AM
:toilet: