PDA

View Full Version : Cleaned my "Idle control valve"

nswst8
05-29-2008, 05:13 AM
Well yesterday, after much research to my question. I found that a number of people were cleaning their Idle control valve (EACV).

I removed it (Do Not Remove Valves) cleaned with throttle body cleaner to remove all the carbon, opened the coolant port, to my surprise it was coated with rusty, coolant sludge.

I used a air compressor to ensure that everthing dried completely.

Reassembled useing blue RTV to coat the coolant port gasket and copper coat to coat the valve port gasket.

And today it was not trying to stall out with the A/C engaged when stopped or coming to a stop.

This is a must do if you have low RPMs under A/C load.

2oodoor
05-29-2008, 06:14 AM
Use O2 sensor safe RTV on this if you have to use RTV. I am sure you need to use very much and careful not to have excess.

nswst8
05-29-2008, 07:37 AM
Use O2 sensor safe RTV on this if you have to use RTV. I am sure you need to use very much and careful not to have excess.
Not really, the coolant chamber is completely isolated from the valve chamber.

I only used a thin coating to only fill any gaps the gasket couldn't because of age.

2oodoor
05-29-2008, 08:08 AM
ahhh I see, says the blind man :tongue:
sorry for the confusion, I just wanted to note that about using RTV on the intake side. As long as it is isolated in the coolant side it is not really an issue.

bank2me
05-29-2008, 08:14 AM
I should clean mine, it goes to low rpms if the lights go on or if the fans kick on :squint:

nswst8
05-29-2008, 08:34 AM
I should clean mine, it goes to low rpms if the lights go on or if the fans kick on :squint:
I would have your alternator checked, a weak RF signal is the #1 check for electrical load low RPMs.

But it would do any harm cleaning the EACV (Idle Control Valve)

nswst8
05-29-2008, 08:35 AM
ahhh I see, says the blind man :tongue:
sorry for the confusion, I just wanted to note that about using RTV on the intake side. As long as it is isolated in the coolant side it is not really an issue.
Good point.

Civic Accord Honda
06-01-2008, 10:34 AM
im going to be cleaning mine out aswell (Y)