PDA

View Full Version : leaking weber

2oodoor
05-30-2008, 05:56 PM
This is a 38/38 weber I recently got, I was prepping it to install. I bought it with known problems. One problem is the tophat is warped, and also has a defect in the casting. I have it back together now with two tophat gaskets, hopefully that will take care of it.
notice how well the top hat fits on either side of this corner yet you can see a gap in the middle. If you invert the top hat when it is off you should see a raised line in the casting that is designed to make contact with the gasket, kinda like a pinch point. This one has the line completely missing about 1.5 inchs.
There is also a place between the venturis and the bowl that was not sealing well. This would cause gas to spill over into the venturi, disturbing the mixture.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/roodoo2/1212193267.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/roodoo2/castingdefectcirc.jpg
[http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/roodoo2/1212193341.jpg

2ndGenGuy
05-31-2008, 08:47 AM
How badly is it warped? Could a machinist mill it down a bit? How does one get warped anyways? Torqued down improperly?

2oodoor
05-31-2008, 04:39 PM
yep, or prying on it with a screwdriver to get the hat off.. this one is not so much warped from tinkering on it as it is just not cast too good. You can see the obvious material missing on the seating surface in the red circle part of the middle pic.
Ive seen Rochester quadrajets the same way, double gaskets usually work but with those you need to trim some to keep the stepper from hanging. It looks like I can use a 32/36 tophat, just happen to have a donar.
I pulled the tophat off that DFEV that I originally had, nothing wrong with it but I was curious what jets were in it since I never really looked at that one.
137/165. The tophat is totally different on those btw, the small gasket I had in a kit when I was asking you 2nd GGuy about that, will fit that one. I think the DFEV and AV are closer to Holley 5200. The bottom part is basiclly the same though as to jets and tubes etc.

2ndGenGuy
05-31-2008, 11:15 PM
You're absolutely correct about the DFEV being close to a 5200. That carb was designed specifically as a bolt in swap for factory 5200 carbs. Doesn't your DFEV have the 5200-style air cleaner shape on the top of the top hat?

Kinda funny, it's a Weber clone of a Holley which is a clone of a Weber.

2oodoor
06-01-2008, 02:43 AM
You're absolutely correct about the DFEV being close to a 5200. That carb was designed specifically as a bolt in swap for factory 5200 carbs. Doesn't your DFEV have the 5200-style air cleaner shape on the top of the top hat?

Kinda funny, it's a Weber clone of a Holley which is a clone of a Weber.

Actually that carb came from redline weber as a kit for a mazda (a real mazda not a ranger) pick up B2000. Yes the top has a diamond oval shape to it so air cleaners would not be interchangeable. I have seen Holley 5200 that had the other shape like a DGV too though, hrmmm.