PDA

View Full Version : Tensioner bolt

russiankid
05-31-2008, 05:21 PM
I've searched with no luck. This problem I have is bothering me. When I did my timing belt, I most likely tightened the tensioner bolt to more than 31lbs-ft. What I am worried about is I know I didn't strip any threads, I didn't damage the bolt itself. I used an 8inch ratchet and tightened the bolt as tight as I could in that cramp space.

So did I do any damage? I haven't heard of these bolts breaking. I know that the previous shop that did the belt had the bolt on very tight. I used a 12-15inch cheater bar to get that sucker loose. I just don't want the bolt to break and cause serious damage.

Thank for reading, sorry for so many aggravating threads. I rather be safe than sorry.

Hauntd ca3
05-31-2008, 06:38 PM
its safe practice to rplace the tensioner bolt when you do the belt but 30/35 lb/ft dosnt sound excessive to me
31 lb/ft is what the manual says so as long as you didnt go apeshit with the tightening it should be fine

russiankid
05-31-2008, 06:39 PM
its safe practice to rplace the tensioner bolt when you do the belt but 30/35 lb/ft dosnt sound excessive to me
31 lb/ft is what the manual says so as long as you didnt go apeshit with the tightening it should be fine

If I tried harder I could get the bolt even tighter. Since then, I've put 500 miles on the car. I've revved it to 6500rpms quite a few times and everything is still holding up. Thanks for the input.

Pico
05-31-2008, 08:19 PM
I hand tightend mine as much as I could and so far (knock on wood) all has been good, so far over 2000miles

russiankid
05-31-2008, 08:38 PM
I hand tightend mine as much as I could and so far (knock on wood) all has been good, so far over 2000miles

That is good news and I hope everything goes well for your new engine(knock on wood).

Since I did the belt, I've driven 500 miles in very high heat with the A/C on, I also raced my friend Tyler who owns an 86' LX one night. So, lets hope it is all good. ( knock on wood)

To be honest, I think those bolts are hardened steel so to break them you would need a lot of force.

xxxfrankensteinxxx
05-31-2008, 11:33 PM
i actually have a new one sitting in front of me they look pretty strong, my old one the guy lost the nut and it rusted so im swapping it and belt

A18A
06-01-2008, 12:47 AM
i usually just tighten bolts hand tight with a ratchet, wouldnt have a clue how tight that is, but i'm confident it wont loosen itself lol

russiankid
06-01-2008, 07:12 AM
I am sure mine won't loosen itself. Now that I know Pico has his tighter than mine most likely, mine should be ok. Thanks guys!

Oldblueaccord
06-01-2008, 08:15 AM
Russiankid

I would not worry so much about asking to many question really it shows your capacity to think and reason out problems. Nothing wrong with going thru all the pit falls in your mind Just don't let it eat you up.

Sounds like the car is running great!

wp

russiankid
06-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Russiankid

I would not worry so much about asking to many question really it shows your capacity to think and reason out problems. Nothing wrong with going thru all the pit falls in your mind Just don't let it eat you up.

Sounds like the car is running great!

wp

Thanks. I've been out of school for the summer and I don't have anything to do but tinker on the Accord. Well this tinkering leads to me over thinking things. I need to go for along drive and get my mind straight:dunno:

88Accord-DX
06-02-2008, 07:58 PM
It's good investment for a torque wrench if your doing your own work. Snap that bolt off at the block then see what kind of problems you have.

russiankid
06-02-2008, 08:42 PM
It's good investment for a torque wrench if your doing your own work. Snap that bolt off at the block then see what kind of problems you have.

I have two torque wrenches, but how am I suppose to get them into that cramped area?

Dr_Snooz
06-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Gotta do that one by feel, unfortunately.