PDA

View Full Version : 86 LXi Caliper pin stuck, also 12 blink error code

bobbyang1
05-31-2008, 09:50 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum and had some questions for those in the know:

1) Front caliper pin is stuck (can't rotate the caliper on the pin, and the bracket can't slide on the pin to center the pads). I tried forcing it open with a c-clamp, but I ended up just bending the c-clamp itself. Does anyone have ideas for how to free up the pin? I've tried soaking in pb blaster, freeze off, but it doesnt budge.

2) Also, I have a 12 blink error code on the ECU, and it's not listed in the service manual (although error code 11 and 13 are listed...) Does anyone know what this means? The car drives fine as well (no obvious problems with the engine at all), and the light would come on at totally random times, but usually it would only come on after 10 minutes of driving or so.

Thank in advance everyone! It's fun to drive, but such a pain to work on when everything is rusted.

Pico
05-31-2008, 10:00 PM
:welcome:
not sure about the caliper pin but here's a link to the ecu codes
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showpost.php?p=850664&postcount=2

Oldblueaccord
06-01-2008, 08:23 AM
You may have to take the entire caliper bracket off with the caliper and work on it like that. Its the 2 big bolts on the inside of the hub. It may take heat/cooling to break it free which could ruin the caliper but there not very expensive. The pins are also replacable and are important in letting the caliper float back and forth.

good luck

wp

russiankid
06-01-2008, 08:32 AM
You may have to take the entire caliper bracket off with the caliper and work on it like that. Its the 2 big bolts on the inside of the hub. It may take heat/cooling to break it free which could ruin the caliper but there not very expensive. The pins are also replacable and are important in letting the caliper float back and forth.

good luck

wp

I was going to suggest using a torch to heat it up. However, make sure you don't have PB blaster everywhere as it is flammable.

bobbyang1
06-01-2008, 07:21 PM
well i managed to bust open one of the front calipers, and upon close inspection it looks like the guy who owned it before me did some real sketchy stuff to the pin. it's got scratches all over it and the ends are badly chamfered (looks like he used an angle grinder on it. Plus, it's rusted to hell. I think I'm just going to bite it and buy a remanufactured one. Better safe than sorry (when my brakes stop working!)

Thanks for the advice!

russiankid
06-02-2008, 07:56 AM
I'd go to a junkyard and get new brackets. Sounds like he screwed some things up.

MessyHonda
06-02-2008, 08:02 AM
well that means you can upgrade to the 88-89 lx-i brake set up...its a inch bigger on the rotors so you will stop faster