PDA

View Full Version : M/T will not engage "HELP"

nswst8
06-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Okay, I believe that its the clutch that has gone out. (Its an Autozone "Fenco")

Drove to the store fine no problems what so ever. Came out started the car, went to shift into gear the shifter will not go into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th. Reverse is not grinding but it acts as if the gear is spinning and won't let the shifter into reverse.

When the car is off, the shifter will go into all gears. When starting the car in 1st gear, it pulls foward.

Clutch cable is intact. again I blieve its the clutch that has gone bad just want to confirm.

russiankid
06-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Is the clutch adjusted correctly? If so, then possibly the clutch is gone, but wouldn't it make some type of sound? Are you sure the cable didn't break anywhere?

russiankid
06-02-2008, 04:43 PM
I had this issue when I was coming off the highway, I tried to downshift into 4th and it wouldn't let me. I tried all other gears and nothing. It ended up working after double clutching and work fined since. I drained the transmission to check for metal shavings and no shavings, it was clean. So maby you have or had a synchro act up?

Civic Accord Honda
06-02-2008, 04:48 PM
is the clutch cable broken?
if u have the clutch in when starting in frist and it pulls forward it sounds like the clutch is not engaging

Oldblueaccord
06-02-2008, 05:12 PM
See if the cable is popped out of its holder near the trans fork.

wp

nswst8
06-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Is the clutch adjusted correctly? If so, then possibly the clutch is gone, but wouldn't it make some type of sound? Are you sure the cable didn't break anywhere?
Clutch cable is intact.

russiankid
06-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Have someone push the clutch pedal and see if the release arm moves.

Dr_Snooz
06-02-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm inclined to think the clutch is fine. I'd expect a crummy clutch from AutoZone to chatter, make noise, come out of adjustment but not to do what you are describing. My first thought is that something has moved and ruined the adjustment. I'd start by checking the adjustment. Failing that, I'd open the clutch back up to look for missing parts, extra parts, or anything that doesn't look right. If the clutch checks out, I'd open the trans.

Clutches go bad slowly, over time and rarely in one go. Unless something happened that you didn't mention (like a nitrous-fueled drag race en route to the store), I'd say this is a simple adjustment or a problem with your clutch cable (broken or stretched).

Good luck!

LxAcc510
06-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Dude i had this same problem awhile back. It's not the clutch cable. You need a new clutch...

russiankid
06-02-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm inclined to think the clutch is fine. I'd expect a crummy clutch from AutoZone to chatter, make noise, come out of adjustment but not to do what you are describing. My first thought is that something has moved and ruined the adjustment. I'd start by checking the adjustment. Failing that, I'd open the clutch back up to look for missing parts, extra parts, or anything that doesn't look right. If the clutch checks out, I'd open the trans.

Clutches go bad slowly, over time and rarely in one go. Unless something happened that you didn't mention (like a nitrous-fueled drag race en route to the store), I'd say this is a simple adjustment or a problem with your clutch cable (broken or stretched).

Good luck!

If he is going to go through the trouble to pull the clutch out might as well throw in a good name brand clutch in there. Maybe an Exedy?

nswst8
06-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Have someone push the clutch pedal and see if the release arm moves.
Clutch cable intact!

I used a stick wedged in between the seat and clutch pedal and clutch arm was fully engaged.

nswst8
06-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Dude i had this same problem awhile back. It's not the clutch cable. You need a new clutch...
I have a exedy clutch set ready to go in with one of Phrenology lightened flywheels

nswst8
06-02-2008, 07:16 PM
If he is going to go through the trouble to pull the clutch out might as well throw in a good name brand clutch in there. Maybe an Exedy?
I was surprised too, I'd expect some noise as well but either way I have to drop the tranny.

I'm betting its the clutch.

LxAcc510
06-02-2008, 07:17 PM
I have a exedy clutch set ready to go in with one of Phrenology lightened flywheels

DO IT :naughty:

russiankid
06-02-2008, 07:30 PM
You won't be disappointed in the Exedy clutch. I have it in my car and it is a nice clutch.

2oodoor
06-03-2008, 03:54 AM
Clutch cable intact!

I used a stick wedged in between the seat and clutch pedal and clutch arm was fully engaged.

you are looking at this backwards, if the clutch is not fully disenguaged you can't shift. Most likely adjustment is out.
if the clutch was shot you would be able to shift fine but it would slip and not pull
if the pressure plate or release mechanisms were broke you would not be able to fully disenguage the clutch from the motor (same with adjustment)
Dr. Snooz pretty much nailed it from my viewpoint

nswst8
06-03-2008, 04:59 AM

Good luck!
I'm trying to figure this.

When engine in not running, I can shift into all gears I'll have to see if the clutch pedal is depressed, when I engaged the gears.

Its only when engine is running that I can't shift into any gear.

Starting engine in gear car lunges foward even with clutch pedal depressed.

Lil Mike
06-03-2008, 06:33 AM
you should see if the fork or whatever it is called is moving, just follow the clutch cable till the transmission and you might be able to see it move if a friend presses the clutch pedal, it might be different on the newer honda's but on mine and my buddy's i can see the fork its under a rubber cover, that you can see move when pressing the clutch.

nswst8
06-03-2008, 08:00 AM
It is the clutch cable, it just backed itself out of adjustment. I'll have to inspect it alittle closer to ensure that lock tab hasn't broken away.

But anyway clutch cable is easier in this hot weather and now I can wait until it cools down for the clutch.

Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated.

MessyHonda
06-03-2008, 11:33 AM

get to it phil.....you will love the set up...i wanted to go that way but then i was like i dont think i would be happy with a slipping clutch after 20k...so i went stage3 with a 9 pound fly...the clutch grabs hard...even my 205 falken tires cant grip

i remember when my trans went out...i changed the fluid with Honda fluid and let it cool down...and the syncros freed right up