PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket Woes

fungy1977
06-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Hello

Tonight I am running into issues, I am assuming its a head gasket. I rebuilt 1989 a20a3 engine. I used an aftermarket head gasket new head bolts and torqued it in two steps. the engine now has 10,000 miles on it and is been low on coolant. There is no leaks under the car so I pressured tested the cooling system it holds pressure. but when the car sits over night it sounds like the engine is flooded with gas. then after a few minutes it goes away. There is also blak stuff on the dipstick (Rust?) when the egine is cold open the radiator cap and crank the engin it blows bubbles. I juess the question is just put a new honda head gasket and new headbolts and button it up? or send the head and block out to be cleaned and checked again.

Thank you for your input

Frankie

nswst8
06-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Pull the head and have it inspected and pressure tested. And yes I would always agree use OEM honda gasket and seals. I've learned this lesson the hard way as well.

2oodoor
06-04-2008, 06:01 AM
there is a small coolant line (about 12mm, or 3/3 hose) on the transmission side of the coolant bar that goes under the intake. Take off that hose and plut it off and see if the problem persists.