PDA

View Full Version : How to replace leaking throttle cable bushing?

jdmaccordnut
06-06-2008, 11:43 AM
My mechanic called, and the bushing on the carb where the throttle cable is leaking, or something along those lines. He said get a new carb, but they're insanely expensive. So.... ideas? It's a daily driver, and I drive it in the winter, so I really don't trust the Weber unless you guys can convince me. :| So can I replace these bushings? Or no?

turabaka
06-06-2008, 12:05 PM
here in Boise we're about 2600 ft above see level, and in the winter it drops below freezing on a regular basis. I put my 38 weber in when it was probably 30 degrees F, and it ran perfectly. I didn't even have to let it warm up in the mornings. I did though cause otherwise I would've frozen my ass off on the way to school.

greentee76
06-06-2008, 12:08 PM
The weber has a choke and the heated intake manifold is retained, so there should not be a problem in the winter. I have not gone through a winter with mine yet but I do not anticipate any problems. A user on here "conoco" I believe his name is has had his on through the wintere and actually reported that the engine comes up to temp more quickly than with the stocker.
If you do not have emissions where you live the weber is definately in my opinion the way to go.
Hopefully some other users will chime in on this.

turabaka
06-06-2008, 12:11 PM
^^ yep with the electric choke it brings the car up to temp pretty quickly. Even if you have emissions you can still get it to pass with a weber. The only problem would be if it was California emissions. Here in Idaho, we don't have any visual inspections so as long as it passes a tail pipe test we're all good. I intend to cheat mine, by leaning it way out, and retarding the timing a lot.

2oodoor
06-07-2008, 03:28 AM
You can get a water choke on the weber too, why wouldnt you "trust" a weber now that's crazy talk :nuts::lol:They are a hella lot more reliable and simpler to deal with than OEM carb any day.

sounds like the mechanic is saying throttle shaft bushings are worn out, not cable bushings.

jdmaccordnut
06-09-2008, 05:59 AM
Alright, so which is better? Water or electric choke? Which requires less screwing with to get it right? If you guys say it really runs well, I'm down with getting one, but I need to know what to get, exactly, and also a How To would be HUGE. Has someone done a how-to yet?

2oodoor
06-09-2008, 06:21 AM
Alright, so which is better? Water or electric choke? Which requires less screwing with to get it right? If you guys say it really runs well, I'm down with getting one, but I need to know what to get, exactly, and also a How To would be HUGE. Has someone done a how-to yet?

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38161 there is a link to the thread
The kit that is sold "for the Accord" has an electric choke carb since that is what kind of choke comes on them OEM. You can get the water choke seperatley, if it were me I would try the electric one first untill (if and when) you see issues with extreme cold climate driving.
It takes about five minutes to swap the choke heater out, then you would need a tee , reducer , and a couple pieces of hose to run the plumbing part.

turabaka
06-09-2008, 05:02 PM
yeah. I've got an electric choke on mine, and no problems at all in below freezing weather.