PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Ford

oscwrestler
06-08-2008, 05:48 PM
so i was driving my girlfriends 4.6 t bird and i got on it think nothing of it. well she looks in the mirror and its smoking like none other. thank god we're 2 sec away from my house and i pop the hood HOPING for the radiator to have bisted. no such luck. thePLASTIC intake manifold cracked. fucking ford...

oscwrestler
06-08-2008, 05:50 PM
and on top of that fiasco i went to the JY to find a mani and i guess thats a relatively rare motor... and i found a bad ass 3g hatch lxi with a 5 speed but some ass hole broke the hood latch so i could steal any goodies!!!!

Civic Accord Honda
06-08-2008, 06:27 PM
that sucks :(
imports FTW

A18A
06-08-2008, 06:34 PM
they actually make manifolds out of plastic? lol

lostforawhile
06-08-2008, 06:50 PM
and on top of that fiasco i went to the JY to find a mani and i guess thats a relatively rare motor... and i found a bad ass 3g hatch lxi with a 5 speed but some ass hole broke the hood latch so i could steal any goodies!!!!
pull off the front bumper then you can unbolt the hood latch bolts

Lil Mike
06-08-2008, 07:48 PM

yup gm is a fan of plastic intake manifolds

lostforawhile
06-08-2008, 09:02 PM
bio degrading cars ,degrade when you drive them off the lot. fords logic: hey no one else makes plastic manifolds,lets try that!! other manufacturers logic: plastic manifolds don't last,lets sell the idea to ford for 100 million dollars.

Vanilla Sky
06-08-2008, 09:18 PM
The composite manifolds are fine if they're designed properly. LS1s don't have an issue with them.

Composite manifolds are lighter, don't conduct heat worth a damn so that you don't have to deal with heatsoaking, and most importantly for the manufacturer, cheaper than aluminum.

Also, what year is that car? I'd be willing to bet a manifold from just about any 4.6 can be made to work just fine.

2oodoor
06-09-2008, 03:24 AM
A T bird with a 4.6 has to be pretty old, hey wrestler check your Ford dealer they were replacing those for free, it was a non expiring recall. They will look up the VIN and if it has not already been done they will do it free one time. Otherwise most of the upgraded versions do not have that issue, but do crack from improper torque on the thermostat housing.
Everybody is using composite intake manifolds now days. Nothing wrong with them IMO.

GM V6 intakes are the worst, they warp, crack, and take out engines at random.. but GM never attempted to make it good for out of warrenty vehicles. Also GM used silicone RTV as the entire gasket for them. :rocket:

gp02a0083
06-09-2008, 06:55 AM

yes they have been doing that for a little while now , as far as i know the fords and some of the gm's are like that (Pontiac, buick , ect)

i wouldn't bee surprised that Saturn (if i remember right also a division of GM) has plastic engine components , i mean those cars ARE plastic themselves?!

Vanilla Sky
06-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Personally, I'm surprised that companies still make manifolds from aluminum. The price difference is huge, and the weight penalty can be significant.

2oodoor
06-09-2008, 08:33 AM
yes they have been doing that for a little while now , as far as i know the fords and some of the gm's are like that (Pontiac, buick , ect)

i wouldn't bee surprised that Saturn (if i remember right also a division of GM) has plastic engine components , i mean those cars ARE plastic themselves?!

Add BMW, Mercedes, to that list

bank2me
06-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Yea some fords are ok but most are like wtf :werd:

markmdz89hatch
06-09-2008, 11:46 AM

and which yard would that be? I might just have to take a field trip and treat myself to an early fathers day on Sat if it's worth while.

Let me know.

2oodoor
06-09-2008, 11:53 AM
and which yard would that be? I might just have to take a field trip and treat myself to an early fathers day on Sat if it's worth while.

Let me know.

wrong state !

markmdz89hatch
06-09-2008, 12:05 PM
wrong state !

haha. shit. I swear he was in CT at one point. ...oh well, got my hopes up only for Guy to crush them like a bug.

Anyway, about these manifolds....

...are any aftermarket intake manifolds, that are made for applications using composite from the factory, made in composite as well? (Basically asking if any aftermarket companies have jumped on the composite bandwagon too.)

AccordEpicenter
06-09-2008, 01:05 PM
honda and many manufacturers have gone to plastic intake manifolds. The difference between honda and everybody else is that youd never ever have a failure like that in the honda

2oodoor
06-09-2008, 01:54 PM
haha. shit. I swear he was in CT at one point. ...oh well, got my hopes up only for Guy to crush them like a bug.

Anyway, about these manifolds....

...are any aftermarket intake manifolds, that are made for applications using composite from the factory, made in composite as well? (Basically asking if any aftermarket companies have jumped on the composite bandwagon too.)

Yes, searching to back up my statement about the German cars I found a lot of aftermarket composites.
Fords are not that bad, they had several batches of bad intake manifolds in the early ninties. Aftermarket has stepped up like Dorman products that are problem solvers kind of like MOOG is with suspension. They have really nice intake kits for GM and Fords that elimnate sealing /cracking issues as well as making parts for many other areas of USDM vehicles.
Thing is all these USDM car makers pay other companies to make the parts to their specs and then they get screwed when that goes unchecked. GM is the worst with problems on 2002 -08 models having Chinese (and others) substandard parts.

oscwrestler
06-10-2008, 10:58 AM
well the car is a 96. i found a 95 with the same motor but in true ford fashon the like to be on the cutting edge every year and change shit up. i swear they get off on using untested ideas.

2oodoor
06-10-2008, 11:10 AM
I would think you could use the intake off a Crown vic 96-97 as long as you get all of it up to the throttle body. The thing I would look for is hood clearance. Make sure you get one that has the alumninum around the thermostat housing. Have you even tried going to a good parts place, not the dealer, to get one new? Did you contact a Ford Service dealer to see if that car got the free upgraded intake yet?

oscwrestler
06-11-2008, 10:28 AM
well its not my car so after the jy i'm not handling any of it yet.

lostforawhile
06-11-2008, 12:57 PM
the only problem now,is when that ford catches fire from eithier A. bad cruise control switch, b. bad ignition switch, or C. other undetermined electrical problem, now you will have to replace the intake manifold with all the other plastic parts that melted

oscwrestler
06-11-2008, 01:35 PM
all i can say is only ford... who else makes cars that are essentially designed as fucking bombs?

2oodoor
06-11-2008, 01:43 PM
phooey last two posts, exploding chevy trucks ring a bell , the biggest class action settlement ever in automotive history?

You are right to not even mess with it though, you will be in way over your head. I would never buy a used intake for a 4.6, it just is not how you do it, like buying a used water pump, used windshield wipers, used sunglasses..etc.

MessyHonda
06-11-2008, 11:27 PM
phooey last two posts, exploding chevy trucks ring a bell , the biggest class action settlement ever in automotive history?

You are right to not even mess with it though, you will be in way over your head. I would never buy a used intake for a 4.6, it just is not how you do it, like buying a used water pump, used windshield wipers, used sunglasses..etc.

haha..its like buying used underwear :hsugh:

oscwrestler
06-12-2008, 08:43 AM
i just neeeded a temp fix. my uncle is still trying to get my to use epoxy glue haha

markmdz89hatch
06-12-2008, 08:45 AM
i just neeeded a temp fix. my uncle is still trying to get my to use epoxy glue haha

if it's heat resistant, I say why not try it. I used high-heat JB Weld as a temp fix for a crack on an exhaust manny on my dad's '78 F100 (I 6) and it worked like a charm for a good 8+ years.

2oodoor
06-12-2008, 09:25 AM
I used that on a 4.6 intake on the right rear side on the heater hose nipple that had cracked. It held up a good six months until it started leaking a little down into a spark plug hole, started misfiring and stinking.
The composite is resiny, so with expansion it breaths somewhat making things not want to bond in it too well.

Ok I own two 4.6, I find it to be a very reliable and tough ass powerplant. I also own two A20A1, another tough ass PP, also a B20A ( I always have to throw that in there don't I)

oscwrestler
06-14-2008, 08:12 AM
i guess it couldnt be too bad if it kept running for 12 years. i just can't believe it cracked from me getting on it though... we've come to the conclusion that the alternator being tightened down too much was why it happened. we could hardly get the damn thing off to see the crack.

Ichiban
06-14-2008, 08:18 AM

I own one of those Chevy trucks, and any other machine with saddle tanks is just as safe (or unsafe). They only really explode like that if you use modified rocket engines, like CNN did. Man did they get sued by GM.

Civic Accord Honda
06-14-2008, 09:11 AM
haha i used epoxy to glue my thermostat housing back together after i tried to get it too tight and snapped it in 2

2oodoor
06-14-2008, 09:37 AM
I own one of those Chevy trucks, and any other machine with saddle tanks is just as safe (or unsafe). They only really explode like that if you use modified rocket engines, like CNN did. Man did they get sued by GM.

I never saw one explode other than on tv, I have seem them in the JY all burned up. Usually those trucks will snap in two from the rusted out rockers, firewall, rear cab, and rear wheel quarters before they get a chance to burn. Unless of course the paint peels off in sheets and the surface panels rot off first.
Good old trucks otherwise :) simple to work on

Ichiban
06-17-2008, 10:17 PM
I never saw one explode other than on tv, I have seem them in the JY all burned up. Usually those trucks will snap in two from the rusted out rockers, firewall, rear cab, and rear wheel quarters before they get a chance to burn. Unless of course the paint peels off in sheets and the surface panels rot off first.
Good old trucks otherwise :) simple to work on

Uh, body rust aside, I'm pretty sure my truck has a frame underneath which holds itself together despite the paint falling off and massive rust issues.

2oodoor
06-18-2008, 07:11 AM
:lol:
Uh, body rust aside, I'm pretty sure my truck has a frame underneath which holds itself together despite the paint falling off and massive rust issues.

Yes I know, that was a stretch, I like old chevys. And yes ford has put out plenty of junk too, 1980 to about 89 the ford trucks are total junk, not much better after that until around 2001 when dodge introduced the new body and they had to tighten up.

Ichiban
06-18-2008, 06:47 PM

Yes I know, that was a stretch, I like old chevys. And yes ford has put out plenty of junk too, 1980 to about 89 the ford trucks are total junk, not much better after that until around 2001 when dodge introduced the new body and they had to tighten up.

Yeah, I wouldn't own a new GM if you paid me. Love the '84 High Sierra 2500 though.

Civic Accord Honda
06-18-2008, 08:15 PM

yeah id rather have a old chevy over a old ford but id rather have a newer ford over a newer chevy haha

Yeah, I wouldn't own a new GM if you paid me. Love the '84 High Sierra 2500 though. haha yeah my nabours have a 04 i think silverrado truck and GD that thing pours oil out like nothing other makes the tiny leaks under my car look like nothing haha it also takes like 5mins to start i love the old chevy trucks tho

2oodoor
06-19-2008, 03:33 AM
^^I love old Ford trucks too 65-79 models are awesome vehicles. My first swap was in a 68 F100. Swapped it in my parents driveway while they went on vacation, they woulda shit.. :ugh: Went from a 6 cyl 3speed on the columm to a 351W pro stock motor with a C4 auto.

Dr_Snooz
06-19-2008, 05:29 AM

Yeah, the trucks never caught fire. The only reason they caught fire on TV was because some enterprising reporter in dire need of a good story rigged the truck with incendiary devices to light the leaking gas on impact. It was all baloney. It was a huge fiasco and really damaged the network's reputation.

Ford, on the other hand, seems to have a history of designing cars that kill their owners. The magically rolling-over Ford Explorer fits this category, as does the genuinely fire-prone Pinto. I'd never own a Ford. I don't know how they stay in business.

2oodoor
06-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Yeah, the trucks never caught fire. The only reason they caught fire on TV was because some enterprising reporter in dire need of a good story rigged the truck with incendiary devices to light the leaking gas on impact. It was all baloney. It was a huge fiasco and really damaged the network's reputation.

Ford, on the other hand, seems to have a history of designing cars that kill their owners. The magically rolling-over Ford Explorer fits this category, as does the genuinely fire-prone Pinto. I'd never own a Ford. I don't know how they stay in business.

I gotta say Snooz I always agree with what you say except on this one :tongue:. GM would have never had to settle on the class action suit where they issued 2000 dollar credits to all original purchasers of chevy trucks for almost a 20 year span of year models if there was nothing to it, dont you think? True the report may have been dramatized as a reinactment no bones about it.
Yes any time you slam into a car so fast it makes another part puncture the gas tank, yes it may well go out in a ball of flames. The Explorer, was Firestone tires. and on that point I can take any S-10 format chevy blazer and flip it in the parking lot by running it up to about 40 mph and cutting the wheel right then full left suddenly. It is the nature of that type of vehicle. That is why most all mini SUV use independant rear suspension now.
OK now the Ford Cruise control switchs thing, yes an engineering fault. All of them do not catch fire though. How does Ford stay in business? by being a world class companythat has been succuessful, so much they were number one selling automotive brand for years and years. until Toyota recently took the crown.

Ichiban
06-19-2008, 09:46 PM
I'd say most automakers are guilty of major sins. Ever driven a straight axle toyota shortbox in winter? They'll go out of their way to kill ya.

Oh, I never got a 2000 dollar cheque from GM for owning a 73-87 GM truck. Neither did my dad, who bought it new. It must have been an American thing, just like Honda's recall on the alternator wiring on the 79-82 Accords. Canadian wires still fried, but there weren't enough in the country to justify a recall. Figure that bullshit.

2oodoor
06-20-2008, 03:35 AM
true sins by all, agreed

the most dangerous car Ive driven was a 280Z Datsun, you can not take your eyes off the road for even a half second or you will be on the shoulder or worse, not that it pulled any direction either.

paul
06-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Ok I own two 4.6, I find it to be a very reliable and tough ass powerplant.

+1 love the quad-cammed 4.6's, very tough engine; always been a 5.0 guy though...

Dr_Snooz
06-21-2008, 09:01 PM
How does Ford stay in business? by being a world class companythat has been succuessful, so much they were number one selling automotive brand for years and years. until Toyota recently took the crown.

LOL, I see you're a Ford man. Okay, no problem. I won't claim that side saddles were a great design, and I certainly won't say that Chevys are great cars. However, the tanks were in compliance with US safety regulations at the time (not to rupture at collisions up to 20 mph). They certainly weren't as bad as Dateline's fiery crash video led everyone to believe. To get the footage, the testers had to help ignite the fuel by placing model rocket engines on the tanks. I guess they were looking for a Pinto-like scandal, but it just wasn't there without some additional help (ie: model rocket engines). Anyway, they ended up having to issue a public apology.

According to the NHTSA, these GM trucks were only slightly less safe overall than Fords (and a lot more safe than Dodges). The NHTSA also calculated the risk of dying by fire in a side impact collision in one of these trucks to be 50% greater than in an equivalent Ford, but still quite small.

Sorry for the shot at Ford. It just seems that Ford has a car every decade or so with a demonstrated propensity for killing people (don't really buy the tire argument). lf you like Fords, rock on. You know a lot more about cars than I do, so I'll respect your opinion.

:welcome:

What I don't respect is you making me spend the last hour researching side saddle tanks on the web!

2oodoor
06-22-2008, 03:39 AM
its ok Snooz, knowledge is good. I am not so neccesarliy a Ford fan as I am keeping the brand bashing ball in the same court.
I recently had 99 silverado, up until now it was the best vehicle I ever owned. Other than an annoying cold engine knock and the rear diff self destructing because of a 12 dollar crush sleeve, which I did not discover until way too late. Thing is Ford, GM and Dodge are having similar problems with thier diffs. So even though I have an even better truck 04 Ford, love it, it stands a good chance of the same thing happening to it. Ford is using the same set up on the front spindle, and I have already had to replace a rotor (nothing wrong with the rotor surface though!) , which comes with the bearing in it, crush sleeve, and one time use axle nut. The axle nut torque is 285 FT LBS.. ever heard of such? this is two wheel drive too! Most wrenchs only go to 250 unless you go 3/4 drive:chainsaw: the crush sleeve allowed play even though everything else was in spec, this caused the rotor to contact the caliper when I made turns. So yeah a little Ford hating there.. lol

Dr_Snooz
06-22-2008, 07:11 AM
Thanks man. If you're ever in CA, we have to get together for beers. We can talk about all the dumb design in cars out there. We could go for days and not run out of examples. I have a few stories, but I'll bet you have a lot more.