PDA

View Full Version : Front end rattle

russiankid
06-08-2008, 06:46 PM
I have this annoying rattle in the front left. It only happens when going slowly over bumps. I have replaced the upper control arms, tie rod ends, bushings in the lower control arms, and the lower ball joint has no play at all. I've read it could be the radius arm bushings or the strut bushings. Any advice on how to pin point which is in need of replacement?

Also, if I push on the front left of the car(up and down), I hear a slightly pop sound coming from the upper control arm.Sounds like its binding really. If I put my hand on it I can feel the pop. Can't hear it inside the car, only when intensionally pushing up and down on the left side. Any idea what causes this? I've taken the arm apart before to regrease the bushings but I read that using silicon grease is best. I used mutli-purpose grease.

lostforawhile
06-08-2008, 06:49 PM
I have this annoying rattle in the front left. It only happens when going slowly over bumps. I have replaced the upper control arms, tie rod ends, bushings in the lower control arms, and the lower ball joint has no play at all. I've read it could be the radius arm bushings or the strut bushings. Any advice on how to pin point which is in need of replacement?

Also, if I push on the front left of the car(up and down), I hear a slightly pop sound coming from the upper control arm.Sounds like its binding really. If I put my hand on it I can feel the pop. Can't hear it inside the car, only when intensionally pushing up and down on the left side. Any idea what causes this? I've taken the arm apart before to regrease the bushings but I read that using silicon grease is best. I used mutli-purpose grease.how new is the arm? and if it's not could be the upper control arm ball joint.

russiankid
06-08-2008, 06:52 PM
how new is the arm? and if it's not could be the upper control arm ball joint.

I would say 3-4 years old with maybe 25k on it?

Demon1024
06-08-2008, 06:58 PM
sway arm bushings new too? mine did that slow bump noise when mine where gone

russiankid
06-08-2008, 07:01 PM
sway arm bushings new too? mine did that slow bump noise when mine where gone

Yes they are new as well.

LX-incredible
06-08-2008, 08:01 PM
What kind of bushing kit did you use for the UCA? I used some cheap chinese deal that included everything. Started making noise within a week. I replaced all that crap with the original metal parts and moog bushings. No problems.

russiankid
06-08-2008, 08:07 PM
What kind of bushing kit did you use for the UCA? I used some cheap chinese deal that included everything. Started making noise within a week. I replaced all that crap with the original metal parts and moog bushings. No problems.

Not sure. To my knowledge this arm was bought from Autozone, but bushings were probably bought from Rockauto. The right side doesn't make any sounds. I will check for any play tomorrow. If it is the bushings, is it safe to drive like that?

LX-incredible
06-08-2008, 08:36 PM
I drove on mine for quite awhile. There's a bolt that goes through the bushings, arm and arm anchor bolts, so there's really no where for it to go. I replaced them because it was getting annoying and I don't believe in letting things go like that... I don't think it would be a huge safety issue if you had to drive on it.

russiankid
06-08-2008, 08:43 PM
I drove on mine for quite awhile. There's a bolt that goes through the bushings, arm and arm anchor bolts, so there's really no where for it to go. I replaced them because it was getting annoying and I don't believe in letting things go like that... I don't think it would be a huge safety issue if you had to drive on it.

It has been rattling for the past 6 months at least. I only notice it when I have the music low and I am going slow over bumpy roads. Tomorrow I am going to check the ball joints for play, check to make sure everything is tightened down. If all turns out good, I will just leave it be. Car runs phenomenally, rides smooth, tracks straight.

LX-incredible
06-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Sounds like the upper control arm bushings for sure.

russiankid
06-08-2008, 09:42 PM
If it is the bushings I'll just let it be until it falls apart.

russiankid
06-08-2008, 10:23 PM
I just wanted to ad that it is not my caliper because when I brake I get the same noise.

markmdz89hatch
06-09-2008, 08:29 AM
If it is the bushings I'll just let it be until it falls apart.

one problem, if it falls apart, chances are that'll mean that the thru bolt will have snapped. The bushings not only stop the play and absorb impact, but protect the bolt.

Anyway it could be the strut itself. I had one go on my 300 a few years ago. All of the inner seals were bad.

Oldblueaccord
06-09-2008, 01:03 PM
I just wanted to ad that it is not my caliper because when I brake I get the same noise.

thats what I was going to add is the caliper pins might be worn. You can load the holes with grease maybe see if it goes away.

if you roll your right window down you might hear the rattling too. I think I have changed mine 2 x's and these are 3 with the type r brakes.

wp

russiankid
06-09-2008, 01:56 PM
The upper control arm ball joint is tight, no play at all. I am leaning more towards the strut than the upper arm bushings.

Oldblue, I do not hear any rattling that could be associated with the calipers. If it was the caliper causing this rattle, whenever the brake is depressed it would go away for that time being. This sound does not go away with brakes.

LX-incredible
06-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Even the slightest amount of play in those bushings will make noise. I had to have a finger behind it while pushing in on the arm to detect any movement. It wasn't clearly visible until several months later. Not trying to prove myself, I just had the exact same symptoms and it was driving me nuts trying to figure it out... Good luck with whatever you find.

russiankid
06-09-2008, 04:09 PM
I don't have the time right now to change out the bushings. When I get the time I will get some and change them out and see if that helps.

russiankid
06-10-2008, 12:40 PM
I went ahead and checked the bushings for any play. I pushed the arm side to side and in&out. I didn't notice any play, so now I assume its the strut bushings that are causing this.

Dr_Snooz
06-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Welcome to old car hell. Old cars like to come up with random noises that make you nuts. I've driven old beaters for the better part of my life and have one and only one rule: do nothing. An obscure noise will do one of three things: 1.) Remain the same 2.) Get worse 3.) Get better. If it remains the same and you have no driveability issues, you have no problem. If it gets worse, you will eventually find it. If it goes away, you haven't wasted any money.

Just what I've learned from hard experience and a lot of money wasted chasing irritating noises.

:burn:

russiankid
06-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Welcome to old car hell. Old cars like to come up with random noises that make you nuts. I've driven old beaters for the better part of my life and have one and only one rule: do nothing. An obscure noise will do one of three things: 1.) Remain the same 2.) Get worse 3.) Get better. If it remains the same and you have no driveability issues, you have no problem. If it gets worse, you will eventually find it. If it goes away, you haven't wasted any money.

Just what I've learned from hard experience and a lot of money wasted chasing irritating noises.

:burn:
This car just drives so perfect it annoys me. I guess I will just keep the music louder.:flash:

Dr_Snooz
06-11-2008, 08:40 PM
"Rattle" implies something fairly small and lightweight flopping around freely. Most of the important suspension members will make clunking, groaning or other noises, but not rattles so much.

I'd look for something obscure like the 10mm bolt that holds the brake line to the strut or one of the screws that holds the rotor dust shields backing out.

Try not to go too crazy.

russiankid
06-19-2008, 08:18 AM
"Rattle" implies something fairly small and lightweight flopping around freely. Most of the important suspension members will make clunking, groaning or other noises, but not rattles so much.

I'd look for something obscure like the 10mm bolt that holds the brake line to the strut or one of the screws that holds the rotor dust shields backing out.

Try not to go too crazy.

Once I get a chance I will check it all out. I did notice if I push on the front left gently, I can hear a faint pop sound. Its not loud, it sounds more like something gets stuck and if pushed more it pops into motion. I put my hand on the upper control arm and I can feel this pop.

russiankid
06-29-2008, 05:27 PM
I took a video today. Hard to hear it but it doesn't sound normal going over bumps. I checked everything, ball joints, bushings, I can't find the problem!!!!!!
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/?action=view&current=S6301464.flv

markmdz89hatch
06-30-2008, 06:20 AM
holy shit that sounds terrible if you're talking about the noises heard in the first 5 seconds of the vid.

ok, so I'll help you as soon as you remove that forsale sign from the windshield. Lemme know when it's off....

russiankid
06-30-2008, 07:22 AM
holy shit that sounds terrible if you're talking about the noises heard in the first 5 seconds of the vid.

ok, so I'll help you as soon as you remove that forsale sign from the windshield. Lemme know when it's off....

Haha, there is no sign. I am keeping the car for another month or two for sure. I am still thinking about investing into a paint job and keeping it.

And yes the first 5 seconds shows it a lot.

P.S. I checked everything over last night. I tugged the shit out of everything and it didn't budge.

markmdz89hatch
06-30-2008, 07:31 AM
check the upper strut bushings. There's supposed to be a very thick steel washer at the bottom and top of the whole thing to keep the tops from pushing through, or getting sucked into the wheel-well.. Also a steel sleeve to go over the piston and the big rubber bushings around them. I have a sneaking suspicion that there's something missing, assembled a little wrong, or just plain very worn out.

That or it could be something as simple as a blown strut, which would make that exact noise too. (Trust me, I know all too well about that one, I blew a rear strut on my 300Z back in the day, and it was not a cheap replacement.)

Any pulsation or vibration under heavy braking?

EDIT: Also mentioned already, but check not only the end-links on your swaybars, but the mounting bushings where they affix to the chassis too.

russiankid
06-30-2008, 07:49 AM
check the upper strut bushings. There's supposed to be a very thick steel washer at the bottom and top of the whole thing to keep the tops from pushing through, or getting sucked into the wheel-well.. Also a steel sleeve to go over the piston and the big rubber bushings around them. I have a sneaking suspicion that there's something missing, assembled a little wrong, or just plain very worn out.

That or it could be something as simple as a blown strut, which would make that exact noise too. (Trust me, I know all too well about that one, I blew a rear strut on my 300Z back in the day, and it was not a cheap replacement.)

Any pulsation or vibration under heavy braking?

EDIT: Also mentioned already, but check not only the end-links on your swaybars, but the mounting bushings where they affix to the chassis too.
I get vibration while driving above 50mph but that is do to crappy tires which are getting replaced very soon. I checked the sway bar end links and they seem to be snug, I can move them slightly but they are rubber so thats explainable. I do not get any vibration while braking or acceleration, this noise is still present while braking. I will check the bushing/washers and get back to you. If it is a blown strut, I may just get some KYB's to replace these worn out stockers.

Oldblueaccord
06-30-2008, 01:33 PM
How did you make it to PA? You will get a lot of rattling on those suck ass roads for sure.

wp

russiankid
06-30-2008, 02:10 PM
How did you make it to PA? You will get a lot of rattling on those suck ass roads for sure.

wp

Made it alright. Been driving a lot here. I am more out in the country than the city, so I see a lot of highway miles. To be more exact I've put on 1500 miles in two weeks just going to stores and back. I am getting 35mpg here:naughty:

As far as the rattle goes, I checked the top portion of the bushing by removing the dust cap. I did not see any cracks or anything of that sort on the bushing. So I am leaning to either the other end of the bushing being worn out or the whole strut is blown.

I am going to replace the tires soon with some Kumho Solus KR21. After that I can pin point more issues.:)

Oldblueaccord
06-30-2008, 07:54 PM
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/4278/strutbearinghr5.th.jpg (http://img530.imageshack.us/my.php?image=strutbearinghr5.jpg)

Strut bearing. although it is not a bearing in anyway. Foam and rubber pieces I think.

OK i seen some of the posts of your move. Just to warn you to late PA is the Alabama of the north.

wp

russiankid
06-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Is it possible to remove the 3 nuts holding the upper portion of the strut and just lower the strut a bit to check it?

Oldblueaccord
06-30-2008, 08:04 PM
himm dunno about that I think maybe the suspension would droop enough to do it. But your 50% there the other bolt is that long one through the bushings and its out.Brakes line bolt and its done I think.

wp

russiankid
06-30-2008, 08:23 PM
himm dunno about that I think maybe the suspension would droop enough to do it. But your 50% there the other bolt is that long one through the bushings and its out.Brakes line bolt and its done I think.

wp

I just need to check the bushing so I know if I need to replace it or not. I don't want to remove the strut completely to just check a bushing.

russiankid
07-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Update.

I checked the bushing today. It seemed to be in ok shape. I didn't see any visual cracks, but it does not look the best either. The 3 bolts holding the top hat( I believe so) to the body were very easy to loosen. I tightened them down and the rattle dissipated a little bit.