PDA

View Full Version : best/user friendly engine managment for turbo

mykwikcoupe
06-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Im planning crome but have started hearing bad things about them. I have everything for it but need to make sure my stuff stays in check. Basically Im planning 9.5:1-10.0:1 compression B20A with a precision SC34 T3/T4OE stage 3 turbine 60/63 turbo at Im guessing 15+ psi. I need something that is easy to install, programmable to the point Im not worried about missed rev blocks and hopefully less than 1G to get.

I know Rob uses the AEM EMS but has spent mega in tunning and such. Although he said he like the product. Accordepicenter uses crome and to my knowledge was pleased. Im nit sure what tommy is using but a blown headgasket says hes probably not too happy overall. I dont want the B20a turbo curse to get me also. Thanks guys. Mike

EricW
06-09-2008, 06:24 AM
Going Obd1 and using Crome or eCtune will probably be the cheapest route. But there are other options that are full stand alone that will work also. I would just start by finding a good competent tuner in your area and find out what they can tune and go with that if your not going to tune it yourself.

Accordtheory
06-09-2008, 09:53 AM
There are endless threads about this on honda-tech. Rather than plod through them for hours and hours, I downloaded several programs and played around with them. Based on that, I'm getting the hondata s300. I downloaded the neptune rtp program, uberdata (just for kicks), and I can't rememebr what else right now, but the s300 has the best user interface, and just makes the most sense to use, in my opinion. You can get an s300 and lc-1 wideband combo for about $700. Maybe download the SManager from hondata's site and see if you like it too..?

thegreatdane
06-09-2008, 10:18 AM
I would say either eCtune or Hondata s300. eCtune is allegedly the best DIY obd1 management at the moment and the features are very close to the s300.

So I would make my choice depending on whuch tuner is closest if you dont want to tune yourself.

Crome is good, but eCtune is just a tad better. And has more boost features.

mykwikcoupe
06-09-2008, 03:02 PM
the ectune looks great but doesnt have any authorized tuners in my area. Maybe Ill look into the hondata s300 system. Thanks for the info and keep them coming

bobafett
06-11-2008, 08:47 AM
I haven't got any hands on experience yet, but I will throw my system into the mix. I am using an Electromotive TEC-GT engine management system which uses software called WINTEC4 to tune with.

You can download the software and at least play with it a bit from their website: http://distributorless.com/products/wintec4.php

I have read the tuning guide multiple times, and I feel like I have a fairly reasonable shot at a decent tune on my own before I take it out to a dyno and get it dialed it properly.

This system is probably one of the most expensive, but has many benefits. I know on a setup as nice as Robs this would have been another smart way to go.

You are somewhat local to me, so maybe once I get the car going we can meet up and you can check it out. But the software is free to download and mess with, although you can't do anything TOOO exciting without a ECU hooked up to it.

PS my solution was going to be crome pro with neptune rtp. :) until I stumbled upon my current setup...

LiquidIC
06-11-2008, 07:49 PM
I haven't got any hands on experience yet, but I will throw my system into the mix. I am using an Electromotive TEC-GT engine management system which uses software called WINTEC4 to tune with.

You can download the software and at least play with it a bit from their website: http://distributorless.com/products/wintec4.php

I have read the tuning guide multiple times, and I feel like I have a fairly reasonable shot at a decent tune on my own before I take it out to a dyno and get it dialed it properly.

This system is probably one of the most expensive, but has many benefits. I know on a setup as nice as Robs this would have been another smart way to go.

You are somewhat local to me, so maybe once I get the car going we can meet up and you can check it out. But the software is free to download and mess with, although you can't do anything TOOO exciting without a ECU hooked up to it.

PS my solution was going to be crome pro with neptune rtp. :) until I stumbled upon my current setup...

SHUT THE F UP CHRIS... i will kill you... with a nail gun

hahaha you have more money into your EMS then i had in my WHOLE turbo set-up

...but there is something to be said about doing things "right"

i ran crome pro with a civic p06 ecu, wideband and boost gauge for my EMS... although i did have a OBD1 car to begin with:eek5:

ps.boba, lets get your damn car running NOW

guaynabo89
06-13-2008, 10:40 AM
I agree with the previous statments about seeing who will be doing the tuning. Anyone should be able to tune any system as they basicly do the same thing. The differecnce comes into the finer details. While someone will be familiar on how to get a specific result in the software of one ecu it might cause problems when that same person cannot find the correct table/settings etc on a different ecu setup to get the same result.

Bobba has like the Cadi of stand alone systems (which I like) while others have to settle on a comprimise. (AEM) lol

Accordtheory
06-15-2008, 05:35 PM
I
Bobba has like the Cadi of stand alone systems (which I like) while others have to settle on a comprimise. (AEM) lol

Caddys are junk, I used to own one..don't doubt the legitimacy of the s300..
And what is up with the aem not switching maps with vtec, how do you find the vtec crossover point with that?
With the honda based systems, since they all have 2 maps, you tune both maps, then do 2 runs, 1 with vtec set low and one with it set high, plot them over each other, where they intersect is where you set the engagement, how do you do that without the 2 maps?

guaynabo89
06-15-2008, 06:18 PM
As far as the AEM goes and vtec its there. I havent even looked at the AEMpro software in over 6 months so I dont remember exactly how it goes.

Thats where what I said comes into play. While you know how to get the desired result with the hondata you are a little baffled as to how to get the same result with the AEM.

I'm not doubting the Hondatas abilites. All systems basicly do the same thing. (alter fuel and timing maps) Some systems just have more features than others and one might be better at handling one thing than the other. Its a matter of preference just like many things. What do I want, what do I need, how much money can I spend. ;)

mykwikcoupe
06-18-2008, 08:39 PM
along with the same line of thoughts, I have a HKS EVC4 new in box and am debating using it as a boost controller or using the ectune controller or the boost controller that goes along with whatever system I chose. What do you think sell the one Ive got and use the one for the system or stick with the one Ive got as itll do the same thing in the end

guaynabo89
06-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Depends on what system you gget really. Again preferences also. Like I am using the AEM and it has a pretty detailed boost control. So I just purchased a boost solenoid and let the ecu control.

Hold onto it until you decide which way to go and if its not needed then sell.

mykwikcoupe
05-06-2009, 06:58 AM
if im using ectune or crome just to start and run aNA obd1 swap for my b20a can i use the cheaper version without the plug ins. Is it really alllt aht important to have the pro or dealer versions?

MessyHonda
05-06-2009, 08:12 PM
i would find some one who is familiar with ectune....the hard part is just getting the obd1 running and once you have it...any obd1 computer should run the engine

RobT5580
05-07-2009, 06:05 AM
Im actually looking into hondata i did find a local preludepower member that tunes so i might look into that route. Its all about what you want and if you have a tuner capable of properly setting up and working with the particular unit.

The AEM was expensive but after seeing the features its really not bad considering you save money from buying other things like a boost controller. I would use the AEM again providing i have a tuner local to me. My tuner was in NC and he was amazing and highly recommended and if he was closer i would hands down use the AEM because of him as a tuner.

So i would not buy any unit until you see what tuner your using preffers. My problems stemmed from many areas and none were from the AEM or tuning. I had issues with my machinist, myself (LOL), and my last build i used stock bore forged pistons and was told afterwards they didn't make rings that were strong enough for boost. Eitherway that motor burned oil so a rebuild had to come so i beat the motor until i blew it from a boost control failure.

mykwikcoupe
05-10-2009, 03:08 PM
well for a budget solution Ive got a guyy about 75 miles from me (all the tuners are 50-75 miles from me) that works at a dyno shop and tunes with almost all the honda software hacks. Im going to be going with uberdata to start with only because Im super broke and unemployed. i want my coupe on the road for the June 20 meet in portland. will this work. im thinking i can have a chip set to me from xenocron for $20 with a basemap and this guy can tune and set it up. its only a Na B20a chip set so it should be easy right. I dont need to buy a wideband, chip burner or ostrich since itll be tuned and set there and i should be able to forget about it after that. Doies this sound correct

mykwikcoupe
05-19-2009, 10:47 AM
found a good map or bin drop location. im sure everyone knows about it but olong these same lines what would be a good engine choice as a basemap so i can start converting it over to my P06 ecu

bobafett
05-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Are you gonna have LEED tune your car? I think he is in seattle or everette or something like that. I pm'ed him a while back but didn't get a response lol.

Rendon LX-i
05-19-2009, 11:14 AM
i yet need to do this...your lucky that to a tune shop that close...we have a guy that tunes but he street tunes...dones one hell of a job...AND he backs his word...he says if he blows it up while tuning he well rebuild your motor for free...he hasnt had a problem yet...I need to convert to obd1...its hard when im not good in that area...wish i had some help.......BUT sorry for thread jacking...That should work...even with a basemap youll be ight..just dont boost as high...

mykwikcoupe
05-28-2009, 12:32 AM
Are you gonna have LEED tune your car? I think he is in seattle or everette or something like that. I pm'ed him a while back but didn't get a response lol.

same, no responce. theres a shop in tacoma and puyallup that seem to be pretty good. Ive talked with the guy from tacoma on the phone and hes willing to work with you but dont ask a stupid noob question or hell ramble for hours. I need greatdane to send me the basemap so i can have it burned onto a chip and Ill be set. Help greatdane

thegreatdane
05-28-2009, 01:44 AM
I've already emailed it to you. Sent it to your comcast email 2 days ago.

mykwikcoupe
05-28-2009, 07:34 AM
OMG thats what I get for not checking all my accounts. Thank you so very much. Once again I greatly appreciate it.