PDA

View Full Version : 92 Bird Ticking

bank2me
06-09-2008, 10:37 AM
So my dad took his 92 firebird 305 v8 in to have the intake manifold gasket replaced. While he was replacing that he gave it a tune up plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter. He also changed the oil. Well my pop drove it today and when he started it, it was ticking. Some old lasy owned the bird before my pop and she used mobil 1 synthetic. Well when my dad came back from a drive he checked the oil and it was over full. And I'm not sure what oil the mechanic used in it. Any ideas why it would be ticking. Wasn;t sure what to put this thread under. Thanks.

2oodoor
06-09-2008, 11:02 AM
So my dad took his 92 firebird 305 v8 in to have the intake manifold gasket replaced. While he was replacing that he gave it a tune up plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter. He also changed the oil. Well my pop drove it today and when he started it, it was ticking. Some old lasy owned the bird before my pop and she used mobil 1 synthetic. Well when my dad came back from a drive he checked the oil and it was over full. And I'm not sure what oil the mechanic used in it. Any ideas why it would be ticking. Wasn;t sure what to put this thread under. Thanks.

If the intake was changed the oil was supposed to be changed because antifreeze spills over into the cyl, lifter valley.. mixing with the oil.
If the job was done sloppy it could be pieces of the old gasket inside one of the lifters too unless that car has a valley cover under the intake.. some do some don't. Over full oil is not good either.
Ticking could be a spark plug wire too.

Oldblueaccord
06-09-2008, 01:06 PM
how many miles are on it?

If the guy working on it might have tried and adjusted the valves and ones too loose is possible.

Its 10w40 oil motor too they might have put 5w30 in it instead.

wp

bank2me
06-10-2008, 06:37 AM
The bird has about 130k miles. Alls the old lady used was 5w-30 synthetic. The mechanic is checking it out again this friday I was just curious to see if the exhaust fumes where getting to his head or what. :bong: