PDA

View Full Version : URGENT! stumble then die on low rpms

garfunkle55
06-10-2008, 01:33 PM
This morning I got up started my car let it sit for a bit to warm up all that fun stuff. Drove it to a friend's place, let it sit for maybe an hour and a half or so and now its stumbling from about 2 grand and under till it dies. Looks like the carb is spitting a little bit of fuel out. Checked around the engine for any leaks of anything and it looks good. This just happened and I really need some urgent help on this. Thanks

markmdz89hatch
06-10-2008, 01:42 PM
check out my post on this thread: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63248&page=4

Post #97 in response to Roach's issue which sounds damn near identical to yours.

bottom line, replace the fuel filters first, and chances are your problem will go away (providing this was a spontaneous thing, and there were no glaring 'symptoms' that are not being mentioned here.)

garfunkle55
06-10-2008, 04:00 PM
I read that post you were talking about, but the difference is that my car keeps running, i just can't let off the gas. I was told to check the float so i pulled the fuel line off that goes to it, then sprayed a little bit of carb cleaner in there and it seemed to help but its still having issues. If you still think that it might be the filters i'll give it a shot. Thanks

russiankid
06-10-2008, 04:20 PM
You may want to check the float bowl level. There should be a small glass window on the side of the carb where the fuel line is. The glass should be half full.

markmdz89hatch
06-10-2008, 05:03 PM
or half empty depending on how you look at it. You're such an optimist. (haha)

Anyway, yes, my lessons have taught me to tackle the small stuff first, which are also just standard maintenance items as well. There may be gunk in the float, in which case the filters would have been changed in vain, but it's a great place to start IMO.

russiankid
06-10-2008, 05:08 PM
or half empty depending on how you look at it. You're such an optimist. (haha)

Anyway, yes, my lessons have taught me to tackle the small stuff first, which are also just standard maintenance items as well. There may be gunk in the float, in which case the filters would have been changed in vain, but it's a great place to start IMO.

:wave:

Here is what I would do:

I would go ahead and change the fuel filters and all of the fuel lines as that is just cheap insurance. I would make sure the float bowl is half full(half empty). Next, clean out the carburetor with carb cleaner. Check vacuum lines for any cracks that are visible, then once the engine is running spray carb cleaner on the lines. If the engine smooths out, you can know pin point the lines that are bad. After all of that, I would get new spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor. Then get yourself some fresh gas and a fuel system cleaner!

Ok so maybe I am a bit paranoid about having everything done right, but thats where I would start.

garfunkle55
06-10-2008, 06:59 PM
I checked my fuel filters and they were fine. I replaced them last year. I sprayed some carb cleaner into the carb where the a fuel lines goes straight to the float then I put some carb system cleaner in my car and it seems to be doing alright. I let it warm up then let it sit for a couple hours then let it warm up again and its still fine. So maybe just the float randomly sticking. I'm taking it out on a test drive in a bit though so we'll see what happens.

russiankid
06-10-2008, 07:52 PM
You can pull the top hat and check to make sure its not gunked up.

garfunkle55
06-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Well I took it out on a test drive last night and it only stumbled a few times when i was sitting at a drive through. but other then that it seems fine.

markmdz89hatch
06-11-2008, 08:52 AM
then I'll point my finger at the float now. you might just have some crud chillin out at the bottom of the bowl, and/or the new ethanol is gumming up the jets a lil.

hehe, my car still has pre-ethanol gasoline in it's tank. YAY! (Although it's probably the consistency of maple syrup by now.

evil88accordLX
06-11-2008, 12:18 PM
check for unplugged vacuum lines as well. my car was doing the same thing because the line that connects to the flapper door on the air cleaner came unplugged. as soon as i plugged it back in the car ran fine again.

russiankid
06-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Pull the top hat off and clean everything up. I try to run a fuel system cleaner every month in my tank. Every two months I clean out the carb as much as I can with carb cleaner. So far it keeps it working well(knock on wood).

2oodoor
06-11-2008, 02:03 PM
check that secondary throttle is not hanging open they get stuck.
Also check venturi booster, inside the primary throat, they get loose and dump fuel instead of spray it nicely..

garfunkle55
06-11-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm thinking its just the ethanol cause everything is working fine again. I actually put some ampm gas in the other day, i usually don't so. Maybe that just through it off. I bet the fuel treatment helped though and cleaning the carb was just a good thing to do. I'm gonna start cleaning the carb more and using fuel treatments more often. Thanks for the help. I'll keep this updated if the problem happens again or anything.

russiankid
06-11-2008, 02:29 PM
From the looks of it now, you may just had some bad gas. I know my car acted up when I had shitty gas in there once.

MessyHonda
06-11-2008, 11:33 PM
From the looks of it now, you may just had some bad gas. I know my car acted up when I had shitty gas in there once.

yeah once i thought i blew a headgasket because my car ran so shitty...and it turned out to be bad gas...i went to get 20 bucks of shell regular and i noticed a diff almost immediately....this was after the car had been siting for around 3 months.