PDA

View Full Version : noob question

canadian357
06-11-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm fairly new to doing anything mechanical (i used to renovate a lot) and i just installed a new starter when i noticed my cv boot is split. How hard is this to fix? I know, i'm a noob.

russiankid
06-11-2008, 02:26 PM
It depends on which boot it is. If it is the inner boot, you will just need to undo the lower ball joint and pull the CV-joint apart and replace the boot. If it is the outer boot, you will need to take the axle off, take apart the inner CV-joint and then from that side slide the new boot on. This is because the outer joint cannot be taken apart. Best thing to do is to get new axles as you probably have dirt already in the joint. Even a little bit of dirt will eat away at the joint.

Dr_Snooz
06-11-2008, 08:24 PM
The boots can be difficult to find and fairly expensive when compared to the price of a new axle. The job is a huge mess and more work than simply replacing the axle. You'll most likely need a beefy impact gun to get the spindle nut off the axle.

If you still want to do it, use ether (starter fluid) to clean out the old joint. Then put in clean CV grease, use the special tool to crimp the clamps on (or use zip ties), put it all back together and hope that the grease doesn't squirt back out because you didn't get the clamps on right or because you overfilled the boot.

Personally, I've got a leaky boot and don't care. I'm going to wait until it goes clackety clackety around corners and replace the entire axle.

Hope that helps.

gfrg88
06-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Best thing to do is to get new axles as you probably have dirt already in the joint. Even a little bit of dirt will eat away at the joint.

yup, he said it. just replace the whole thing. If you know how to use tools and can read a repair manual, then it shouldnt be too dificult

:welcome:

MessyHonda
06-12-2008, 12:01 AM
if you live around here il give you a hand...i have done it 3 times already...i went with rebuilt axles the first time and i didnt like them so i just went to napa and bought brand new axles...they are so nice.