PDA

View Full Version : idleing bad again and backfireing

Civic Accord Honda
06-12-2008, 05:00 PM
ok so my car used to idle like crap at like 400 rpm then i fully advanced the dizzy replaced the spark plugs with ngk Vpower got NGK wires and a accel superstock coil and she has been running great and at 1100 rpm idle
today after driving it for about 30mins around town on our way home it was making a weird popping sound
so i get home check the oil its full start the car look at it notice its idling extremely low and walk behind the car and i here it lightly backfiring like twice every 5seconds

anyone know wtf is worng with it?

Ichiban
06-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Maybe your fully advanced timing burnt up all pistons but one, and that backfiring is actually the one functioning cylinder achieving a proper combustion cycle?

russiankid
06-12-2008, 05:54 PM
I told him that being fully advance can cause serious damage.

Civic Accord Honda
06-12-2008, 06:03 PM
its only been fully advanced for a week =/ and has good compression between 145-155 at all the cyls also the plugs still look good =/ im really wanting to kill myself over this car =(

russiankid
06-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Fully advance can cause pre-ignition and detonation. Also, it causes more heat inside the cylinders which can cause damage. Back off the full advance and find out what the real problem is.

Ichiban
06-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Detonation can destroy an engine in a matter of seconds, and not even be audible.

Edit: Use a timing light, and set your initial timing to the proper factory spec, using the proper procedure, and fucking leave it there. If it won't idle right, you have other problems. Fix those instead.

Edit edit: Some things to check:

-Your haynes manual. I know Lostforawhile made you buy at least that. Look up "idleing bad again and backfireing"
-Your spelling
-Your throttle plate adjustment.
-Your timing (which can't be right)
-Your compression again
-Your new plugs for proper gap, yes new plugs come gapped wrong, some don't even work. It happens.
-Your computer for codes
-Your fuel pressure
-Your sensors/solenoids/motors for being actually connected
-Your intake for ineffective ricer ideas.

Civic Accord Honda
06-12-2008, 07:40 PM
heres some know problems with my car

- i have a chilltons manual not a haynes chiltons is epic fail..
-my Air intake control valve is fucked
- i have a cluster without VSS and thats the only code im getting
-my valves arent adjusted right
-cat is clogged more then a 40year old constipated man

and i have never adjusted the timing on the belt it has been the same since 90Kmiles and now has 172Kmiles but ill check it anyway
just tested the compression today and it was in the 145-155 renge
plugs are gapped to 0.44 as i did check them before installing
idk how to check the fuel pressure
everything is contected
idk how to use a timing light

and btw this is off topic my headlight motor died today soo now there stuck up this car likes giving me a hard time =(

russiankid
06-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Detonation can destroy an engine in a matter of seconds, and not even be audible.

Edit: Use a timing light, and set your initial timing to the proper factory spec, using the proper procedure, and fucking leave it there. If it won't idle right, you have other problems. Fix those instead.

Edit edit: Some things to check:

-Your haynes manual. I know Lostforawhile made you buy at least that. Look up "idleing bad again and backfireing"
-Your spelling
-Your throttle plate adjustment.
-Your timing (which can't be right)
-Your compression again
-Your new plugs for proper gap, yes new plugs come gapped wrong, some don't even work. It happens.
-Your computer for codes
-Your fuel pressure
-Your sensors/solenoids/motors for being actually connected
-Your intake for ineffective ricer ideas.

I thought you would hear a sound like a hammer hitting a piston if you had detonation?

Ichiban
06-12-2008, 08:36 PM
I thought you would hear a sound like a hammer hitting a piston if you had detonation?

Not necessarily, detonation can bugger up a rod bearing before you even hear it. Pistons rings can be broken, along with the ring land on the piston, valve damage and the piston crown may be damaged. The best indicator is reading the plugs, but even then it's often too late. I suppose a better indicator would be an A/F ratio gauge, as well as an EGT gauge.

greentee76
06-12-2008, 08:38 PM
-cat is clogged more then a 40year old constipated man

fix this. The engine can't breathe correctly.

Civic Accord Honda
06-12-2008, 09:09 PM
yeah i orderd a test pipe off ebay a week ago still waiting for it to get here :rant: !

russiankid
06-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Not necessarily, detonation can bugger up a rod bearing before you even hear it. Pistons rings can be broken, along with the ring land on the piston, valve damage and the piston crown may be damaged. The best indicator is reading the plugs, but even then it's often too late. I suppose a better indicator would be an A/F ratio gauge, as well as an EGT gauge.

Oh, never knew that. I knew it would cause all that damage but I thought you would hear it first. My plugs have a grey tan to them which from what I've read is normal.

Civic Accord Honda
06-12-2008, 09:59 PM
if its not a timing problem and the stright pipe dosent fix it im going to start saving up for another 3gee or mayby another car =/

Civic Accord Honda
06-13-2008, 12:53 PM
ok
car is running fine again :)

turabaka
06-13-2008, 01:23 PM
^^ what'd you do to fix it?

Civic Accord Honda
06-13-2008, 01:38 PM
put gas in it :|

Oldblueaccord
06-17-2008, 08:11 PM
If its just a little pop,pop out the exhaust at idle mine does that.If is a big bang like a gun shot then theres a problem somewhere.

Since you checked your plugs I bet its a plug wire end is bad or just flakey.

wp

lostforawhile
06-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Detonation can destroy an engine in a matter of seconds, like the person fixing it who had a thing for reving the shit out of it and doing useless burnouts?

Dr_Snooz
06-17-2008, 09:41 PM
idk how to use a timing light

If you don't know what you're doing, you might avoid tinkering with the timing?

lostforawhile
06-17-2008, 09:43 PM
If you don't know what you're doing, you might avoid tinkering with the timing?na,he tortured it now it's trying to die.

Civic Accord Honda
06-17-2008, 09:55 PM
If you don't know what you're doing, you might avoid tinkering with the timing?
lol i only messed with the dizzy timing lol im to afird to take the belt off

Ichiban
06-17-2008, 10:15 PM
like the person fixing it who had a thing for reving the shit out of it and doing useless burnouts?

No, I was actually thinking of an engine tuned to produce +400 whp running 20 psi of boost and nitrous, encountering a slight fuel starvation issue, leans slightly and burns up in the matter of one drag run.

Not exactly CAH's case I know, but possible. I had visible rod bearing damage on one of my 22R engines and an obliterated #4 piston, due likely to detonation that I never heard. Oh, and most of my engines died through blatant abuse, so there.

Civic Accord Honda
06-17-2008, 10:22 PM
If its just a little pop,pop out the exhaust at idle mine does that.If is a big bang like a gun shot then theres a problem somewhere.

Since you checked your plugs I bet its a plug wire end is bad or just flakey.

wp
wires also be new and yeah its just a light pop pop sound and u can barely here it unless u put ur face by the muffler lol i guise i just never noticed it before :toilet:

russiankid
06-18-2008, 05:08 AM
lol i only messed with the dizzy timing lol im to afird to take the belt off

Messing with the distributor can still cause damage especially if you don't know what you are doing.

Oldblueaccord
06-18-2008, 10:43 AM
wires also be new and yeah its just a light pop pop sound and u can barely here it unless u put ur face by the muffler lol i guise i just never noticed it before :toilet:

Normal ..... let it roll.

Look down the end of the wires always. I got an Accel new that the sparkplug end was turned inside so it would make contact but would not snap on the plug. It was vulcanized that way.

Now on my old 77 Lebaron if I 4 barrel it and let off quick hell yeah its a sweet backfire.:devil:

Theres a spot over by the projects where these crackheads hang out all day on this bench. I was with a buddy rolled past there let off and it ripped a good one.You should have seen those dope heads move.

:bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:

we still laugh about it whenever we ride in that car.

wp

lostforawhile
06-18-2008, 03:35 PM
are we talking about the car backfiring or cah backfiring? if it's you cah,lay off the oxygenated fuels,dorritos beans and NOS drink.

Ichiban
06-18-2008, 06:49 PM
I wonder how well cah runs on whiskey? Think he'd explode all over the place?

Dr_Snooz
06-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Theres a spot over by the projects where these crackheads hang out all day on this bench. I was with a buddy rolled past there let off and it ripped a good one.You should have seen those dope heads move.

:bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:

we still laugh about it whenever we ride in that car.

:rofl:

Old Blue, you are the MAN!

lostforawhile
06-18-2008, 09:02 PM
I wonder how well cah runs on whiskey? Think he'd explode all over the place?
he's crazy enough already,he runs on those NOS drinks.

1987AccordLx-i
07-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Fully advance can cause pre-ignition and detonation. Also, it causes more heat inside the cylinders which can cause damage. Back off the full advance and find out what the real problem is.

so the distributor being off can detonate a motor? damn i should have had mine timed before i ran it and threw another rod.. time for motor number 3

Demon1024
07-07-2008, 04:05 AM
don't feel to bad man i'm on
motor #3 and hatch #2

1987AccordLx-i
07-10-2008, 07:17 AM
don't feel to bad man i'm on
motor #3 and hatch #2

yeah it sucks.. i couldnt afford to do the third swap myself so a friend of mine is doing it for cheap.. will porting/polishing a head for our engines be a good idea? i have the head from the old motor sitting in my garage.. i looked at it yesterday and it has nothing at all wrong with it.. perfect shape.. i thought it would be a good idea to do some mods to the head.. what do you think?

MessyHonda
07-10-2008, 07:42 AM
if you can get it ported and polished for cheap or free its worth it...i would get the head checked first tho...they do pressure test at any machine shops

lostforawhile
07-10-2008, 07:44 AM
ok so my car used to idle like crap at like 400 rpm then i fully advanced the dizzy replaced the spark plugs with ngk Vpower got NGK wires and a accel superstock coil and she has been running great and at 1100 rpm idle
today after driving it for about 30mins around town on our way home it was making a weird popping sound
so i get home check the oil its full start the car look at it notice its idling extremely low and walk behind the car and i here it lightly backfiring like twice every 5seconds

anyone know wtf is worng with it?cah you need to beat that car on camera for all of us when you junk it,maby the legend willl be a lot better. i hope it will be for you,that car has been kicking your ass as long as i've know you. sometimes a dead horse is just a dead horse. you have learned a ton about working on cars from it what to do and what not to do,so it was worth it. just beat the crap out of it before junking it and tell it to kiss your ass and send it to the crusher. you should be able to get an interior for that legend pretty easy,lots of them have nice interiors. if you lived here i could chain it to a tree and pull that back end somewhat back into shape for you.
do you want a legend book? as soon as i can afford to ship it i have the haynes integra and legend book here somewhere.

A18A
07-10-2008, 07:52 AM
thats 1 thing I love about hondas :) thousands of $ worth of frame damaged fixed for free with a tree & rope/chain & a hammer

1987AccordLx-i
07-10-2008, 11:31 AM
if you can get it ported and polished for cheap or free its worth it...i would get the head checked first tho...they do pressure test at any machine shops

sweet.. ill look around for some deals but first ill see if the head will pass the pressure test..