PDA

View Full Version : My weber?

Bass Man
06-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Hey! I just bought a Weber for $25...
Here is what it looks like:
http://www.webernorthamerica.com/images/22680033bL.jpg

I guess it is a Weber 32/36 DGEV... Was it a good deal?

Bass Man
06-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Well! I just had a look at the stamp on the base, I read:
32/6
DGAV33B D7

Now, I guess it says DGAV, but from the DGEV pictured on the site, and above, I have the DGEV Choke.

Ichiban
06-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Possibly they share a body casting and the choke is an option? I'd say any weber for that price is a helluva deal.

greentee76
06-12-2008, 05:51 PM
I would say that as long as it's in usable condition it was a good deal.
I could be wrong but I believe the third letter in the code designates choke type. Someone maybe converted it to electric?

Now get some adapters and get it on there! You won't be sorry!

Bass Man
06-12-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm looking forward to it!

It's a DGAV that looks exactly like a DGEV, so it must be converted...

I have a couple questions, and I've been looking for quite a while, I guess I will continue searching, BUT.

Here is what I looking for:

Where can I get a VERY cheap Adapter? (I might just have to fab one up if I can't get one for $20 or less around here)

What do I do with the electronic choke? It has 2 connectors and a plug, but I don't have a plug for it... I need to see a diagram for the electronic choke.

There are a lot of gnobs and doo-dads that I need to figure out on this thing.

Bass Man
06-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Hmm!! I have a question... Can I use the Carb Base/EFE Heater as an adapter?! I'm gonna go check.

cygnus x-1
06-12-2008, 06:22 PM
It's likely worth more than that in parts. Good deal I would say. About the cheapest way to adapt it to the manifold would be to modify a stock manifold for the Weber bolt pattern. Fill in the existing mounting holes with JB weld and redrill and tap new holes. The adapter plate kit is about $60 if I remember right. Then you would need some kind of filter.

Roo has an electric choke so he should be able to help you with that.

C|

88Accord-DX
06-12-2008, 06:46 PM
That's a steal for the price. Drill & tap some new studs in the manifold sounds like the cheapest route, I agree. That's a one shot deal, no mistakes. I ran into a problem with one of the studs not coming out & broke off at the manifold, after blaster & some heat. Might consider rebuilding that weber.
The adapter plate runs around $47, rebuild kit about $22 from this site. You have to call about the adapter plate, cause it's not a big turn-over item. http://www.jameng.com/prices/#section_5

Bass Man
06-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Man!! There is something I didn't think about! Thanks Cygnus, again! haha.

I might have to look into that and just port match the intake to carb at the same time.

And THANKS ddude, that makes it a little easier to work on my intake, haha.

I'm hoping I don't have to rebuild this thing, but it is a couple years old and I may have to take the Tophat off and clean the bowls.

Bass Man
06-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Ok... the only thing that is holding me back now is an Air Cleaner and a couple bits of metal for the throttle cable.

greentee76
06-12-2008, 07:17 PM
The easiest thing to do for the throttle cable is to use the throttle cable cam from the OE carb. You have to open up the hole to fit the shaft on the weber and grind off some tangs.
If you don't use the adapter plates this might hit on the manifold without some spacers under the carb.

Ichiban
06-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Fill in the existing mounting holes with JB weld and redrill and tap new holes. The adapter plate kit is about $60 if I remember right.

C|

As long as the holes are covered by the flange and gasket, why bother filling them? Also, if you can measure properly, send me spec's and I'll build an adapter plate for you. You probably want some sort of insulator to keep from boiling the fuel in the float bowl.

Bass Man
06-12-2008, 07:28 PM
What might hit the manfold?

Looks like the accelorator pump and the throttle stop are the only 2 things that hang down below the base. Are those wide enough to clear the intake?

Bass Man
06-12-2008, 07:29 PM
You probably want some sort of insulator to keep from boiling the fuel in the float bowl.

Good point! That is why I wonder about the EFE heater. Maybe I can cut that to match and use long studs!

Ichiban
06-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Good point! That is why I wonder about the EFE heater. Maybe I can cut that to match and use long studs!

Personally, I'd keep the bakelite insulator block, and ditch the EFE heater.

greentee76
06-12-2008, 08:34 PM
What might hit the manfold?

Looks like the accelorator pump and the throttle stop are the only 2 things that hang down below the base. Are those wide enough to clear the intake?

I was speaking of the OE cable cam.

Bass Man
06-12-2008, 08:50 PM
OE? Like OEM?

I took that "Grill" out of that plastic thing under the carb last week. What is the "Bakelite insulator block?" Is that the plastic thing under the carb?

2oodoor
06-13-2008, 03:17 AM
Bass you sound pretty dam excited, calm the F down dude.. LOL
Hit me up if you need anything.
dont forget to plug up that water jacket under the carb base, and if you are going to do any porting take the manifold off to do it, and if you do that take the adjuster rod bolt out of the alternator, remove the belt and then swing the alternator towards the firewall as far is it will go (unhook the battery) so you can access underneath the manifold.
There is absolutley nothing to rebuilding these, you just need a good top hat gasket (can be reused) accel pump diaphragm, and maybe a power valve unless you do the power valve mod. Other than that it is just cleaning and checking your jet numbers. You may be able to buy just the accel pump diaphargm for a 71 capri without getting the whole kit.

Bass Man
06-13-2008, 06:43 AM
Well, I think I am gonna have to clean the whole thing out... I just took the secondary jet out and the end was completely clogged.

2oodoor
06-13-2008, 07:07 AM
try not to use metal things to clean it with, or at least try not to score it anywhere esp idle jets and air correctors.

MessyHonda
06-13-2008, 02:18 PM
cool stuff...cant wait to see it on the car.

2oodoor
06-13-2008, 02:50 PM
there is one for sale in the trading place

Bass Man
06-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Well, I'm gonna go soke this thing in some carb and choke cleaner... It doesn't look toooo bad on the inside, but needs some cleaner.

Bass Man
06-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Holy crap! This thing was a MESS! Almost everything that would come off was caked with old gas... The accellorator pump didn't work untill I took it off and backwashed the port holes. The jets weren't that bad, but I don't know how to read them... I don't think they even had a number.

I'm hoping to put it on tomorrow.

cygnus x-1
06-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Holy crap! This thing was a MESS! Almost everything that would come off was caked with old gas... The accellorator pump didn't work untill I took it off and backwashed the port holes. The jets weren't that bad, but I don't know how to read them... I don't think they even had a number.

I'm hoping to put it on tomorrow.

The numbers are small and sometimes faint, but they will definitely be there.

C|

2oodoor
06-14-2008, 02:47 AM
yep those carbs that have set a while are very hard to get clean, any little bit of debris or residue wil cause a problem later.
You may need a loop or a magnifying glass to see the numbers, they are stamped on the side of some in places you would not expect.
pics? did you find the weber parts breakdown diagram here on the forum?

Bass Man
06-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Ok... I just got some gasket material, so I think I am ready to put this thing on!!

Bass Man
06-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Sweet! I just made a gasket that looks almost store-bought!

Now I have to figure out how to seal up the coolant feed to the carb.

turabaka
06-14-2008, 06:23 PM
^^ I used jb weld to fill it in, but I think A20A1 used quiksteel. Either of those should do the trick.

Bass Man
06-14-2008, 06:50 PM
If the manifold is still hot, the JB weld just runs down the pipe!!!
I got it sealed, though, after the 3rd time mixing...

Update: 7:40, I have everything ready to bolt down. I drilled one of the holes a little crooked, so I had to modify the weber to make it work... I used a 3/8 drill with no sudden stop on it... Well, lets just say something grabbed and now my index finger is in some pretty good pain:beat:

At the moment, everything fits. The primary barrel has about 1/4 of the hole blocked off by the Carb base and intake manifold. I made sure the secondary was completely smooth ;)
I think right now, I am just gonna buy another manifold from the JY and just portmatch that and take the plenum out. My 87 is my only DD, so I knida need to have it running, plus that second to last bottom stud nut is a PITA to get off usually.

turabaka
06-14-2008, 06:53 PM
yeah you have to be a bit carefull with that stuff. I let it tack up a bit first, and then applied it to the manifold to fill the hole.

cygnus x-1
06-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Definitely worth getting a spare intake to work on. For the 32/36 you probably don't need to take out the plenum divider since it's a progressive carb like the stock one. Removing the divider makes more sense for the 38/38 because it's a synchronous carb and the barrels need to be drawn from equally. You can try it though. Don't think it would hurt anything.

C|

Bass Man
06-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Cool!

I have a spare head and I am gonna try to get a spare manifold (although, I think I might need that head really soon, cuz I couldn't get all the aluminum shavings out like I should have...)

I'm pretty disappointed... I even cut a rag in half and stuffed it perfectly. I think it would have been more beneficial to just leave the rags out, cuz the shavings would have gone straight down instead of rolling down the rag when I pulled them out.

As of 8:50, the carb was on, my throttle cable was hooked up, and all I have to do is run a fuel line and put the filter on top! I came in because I remembered about the Mountain Dew I had in the freezer. Caught it just perfect! One of the best Dew's I've ever had!

Bass Man
06-14-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm starting to think, for all the work I did to the manifold to get that thing to fit, I should have just bought the kit...

Well! I started it up at 9:25! Took about 8 revo's and no pumping of the gas and fired up like a dream! I was surprized how easy it started consitering I basically rebuilt it.
Idle was good. Stayed right about 1200, so I rev'd it up and kicked the secondaries to find out the secondaries really like staying on :angry: So I tore the return spring from my Nova and put it on the weber, started it back up, had about 30 minutes worth of problems with the Keihin linkage binding with the return spring... So I finally got it started and running right and noticed my coolant was leaking... Needless to say I hot-stepped it out of there before something got broke. But all-in-all, I am glad I did it, and it only took me 4 hours.

Either later tonight or early tomorrow, I will be taking it ALL back off and sealing the damn port up. Thank you turabaka for the JB tech ;)

Ok... 11:08 Update...
I took the carb off and JB'd the hole. Tore the carb gasket I spent and hour making... NOT worth the frustration, plus I spent $5.02 on a roll of rubber fiber, but I had the carb off and dry to make it, so I think I am just gonna buy a new gasket tomorrow.

If all goes well, it will be ready to race tomorrow ;)

2oodoor
06-15-2008, 02:29 AM
seems like I remember someone suggesting taking the manifold off to do the tooling on it. hrmmm :rolleyes:
sounds like you are having fun with it, you should go ahead and remove that small coolant line under the intake that feeds that hole, cut it short at the coolant rail put a bolt in it with a hose clamp. Yes the auxilary return spring, for the main linkage, I use them on both my weber installs. For the secondary there is one made on the carb, they rust and tend to get lost though.
On the electric choke you can just a female blade terminal, spread it out a little so it slides on the peg terminal of the choke , put a spot of silicone rtv over it to keep it from vibrating/sliding off, make sure it fits snug first though.
PICS??

Bass Man
06-15-2008, 08:41 AM
OH! Sweet!! I didn't know there was a hose feeding that port!
I might be able to get pics after all... I forgot my dad had his computer home from work, so I can probably take a couple snaps with his camera and upload.

Bass Man
06-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Hmm... I'm acually pretty disappointed with the weber. It feals like my Keihin was faster, but this is also an untuned weber, and it has a LOT of vacuum leaks.

I had to get a new gasket, so I went to Napa (closest around) and got a gasket that fit. Now here is the problem... It's not a divided gasket, and the EFE Heater base thing is a little more narrow than the weber, so there is a pretty damn big gap... Idles nicely, though, if the carb was sealed it would be at 1k, but since it isn't, it's at 3k... SOOOO... I have to wait till tomorrow to buy the right gasket. Looks like I get to drive the 2 cylinder metro to work tomorrow!

Bass Man
06-15-2008, 12:01 PM
seems like I remember someone suggesting taking the manifold off to do the tooling on it. hrmmm :rolleyes:

Well, I would have just done a LOT of work to the manifold if I wanted to take it off, but I'm pissed as it is, so I don't want to break my crowbar (inside joke... It's hard to break a crowbar) when I can't get that damn nut off the underside... I love my ratcheting 12mm wrench, but it doesn't have any curve to it.

2oodoor
06-15-2008, 12:43 PM
VACCUUM leaks will kill it
Give yourself to some time to take off the manifold, trust me, ask..

how many turns out is the air mixture screw?
Did you ever see any numbers on the main jets, air corrector jets, emulsion tubes, accel pump jet, and idle jets.
disappointed is one word you will NOT use if its half ass right, do it over and do it right when you get time no joke

I have a whole box of misc adaptors for other cars an a big piece of billet alum, if you know somebody that can weld them on, you need some space and it need to port match or it is going to leak gas eventually.

Bass Man
06-15-2008, 01:13 PM
I can Tig weld, I just don't have a welder handy, but there are quite a bit of shops I know who might have one.

I can't see where the numbers even are on these jets... If you got a list of the correct jets for all of them, I could sure use 'em, cuz I can't afford $55 for a jet set.

The weber ran fine with the gasket I made, but I ripped it and didn't want to reuse it.

Is it fine just to put the weber straight on the manifold with only the gasket between it?

Bass Man
06-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Teaser pic!!
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/3208/dsc00019fe9.jpg

I'll get more pics in a while... I also have an exhaust and system clip.

turabaka
06-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Nice looking valve cover. I like the color a lot.

For jetting there's no for sure jet sizes to use, but there's a thread that other members posted their weber jet sizes in that's a good starting place to use. Just remember to take altitude into consideration when jetting. Most people seem to be using 50 or 55 on the idle jets, and I have to run 40 on mine because I'm up in the mountains.

cygnus x-1
06-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Yeah, you really need to get it setup right before making any judgments. The right jetting will make a big difference. You should be able to put the carb directly on the manifold with no issues, except for maybe linkage clearances or such. I don't think heat will be a problem.
And why don't you just cut out another gasket? The base gasket is really simple.

C|

Bass Man
06-15-2008, 09:33 PM
I might just make me another gasket if I can;t buy one for $2.50 tomorrow.
The valve cover is "Metalcast Blue" from Napa. I put about 6 coats on it and sanded down the raised portion. It's really dirty right now... I haven't cleaned it for a week!

Anyways... MORE PICS!

Bass Man
06-15-2008, 10:22 PM
I gotta cut the hood supports out to fit this filter... I'm fine with that... less weight ;)
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/3324/dsc00020fn7.jpg

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/8059/dsc00021um4.jpg

2oodoor
06-16-2008, 05:08 AM
come on you can do better than that on the return spring, OMG
Make sure your throttle butterflys on the bottom of the carb are not contacting anything when they are wide open, posslbly an overlooked clearence issue with bolting streight to the manifold.

Bass Man
06-16-2008, 06:28 AM
That would have been one of the issues if I did bolt it straight to the mani.. I'll have to rework a spare one later to fit.

Bass Man
06-16-2008, 09:56 PM
Lol!!! I bought 2 gaskets for $1.90...

I got the gasket on and everthing tight, fired it up, ran pretty nice! I got a lot more power from sealing the damned thing! lol

From what I can tell, my Idle jet is WAAAAAAY too big. I'm running WAY too rich at idle... The Primary jet looks fine; maybe a little bit too big. The secondary jet is probably too big as well! lol

My dad said just buy a kit and get it over with. But $55 for a kit sounds like a lot of money, and the import (VW Buggy tuner) guy said he had a bunch of used jets I may trade for my old ones.

Bass Man
06-16-2008, 10:20 PM
I don't know where I could mount the return spring if I get one that looks better.

cygnus x-1
06-16-2008, 11:01 PM
You can goof with the idle screw to try and lean it out. You want to adjust for the highest vacuum at idle. And when you do this, turn down the idle really low, 600RPM if you can get it that low.

C|

2oodoor
06-17-2008, 03:23 AM
I don't know where I could mount the return spring if I get one that looks better.

look at my pics, and you can rob springs off 80's model ford v8 and dodge v8, to get a better size.

Bass Man
06-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Well, I just had a local shop re-port the jet to about 50. The one in it is a 60 and it's VERY rich. The solder lasted for 5 minutes and it started getting rich again... It was fast for a second! But I think I am just gonna buy a kit.

Bass Man
06-17-2008, 09:40 PM
MAN!! I AM SOOOOO pissed off with this thing... I just spent 1/2 an hour trying to get it started after I dropped a buddy off at his house...

Flooded out and STAYED flooded! It's probably flooded right now... There's no doubt I'm gonna go get a jet set now... I can't stand that crap!

2oodoor
06-18-2008, 11:08 AM
sounds like a float /needle issue

Bass Man
06-19-2008, 07:32 PM
WELL! After 2 days of trying to figure this damn thing out, I noticed I was getting plenty of flow into the Regulator, but nothing out!

I spent $25 on this thing!!! I can't afford another one... So, I'm a little pissed about that, but at least I know what the problem is now, I can go try to fix it.

2oodoor
06-20-2008, 03:39 AM
Regualtor? you dont need it really, it is optional if we are talking about the same thing

Bass Man
06-20-2008, 06:38 AM
Fuel Pressure Regulator.

I fixed it! I just put a couple washers inside of it and it works great now!

2oodoor
06-20-2008, 09:15 AM
fixed what?

Bass Man
06-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Hmm.. I thought I fixed the regulator, but I guess not...

Where can I find floats and needles?

Bass Man
06-22-2008, 06:53 PM
WELL!!!

I finally figured out the problem...

One of the floats had a hole in it and kept filling up with gas!
I just cut that float off and it worked AWESOME! I can't believe it's finally running!

Now I need to start taking care of my jets :ugh2: