PDA

View Full Version : Dropping downside...

CARBurn
09-22-2002, 01:28 PM
How do some of you, that have dropped your car, get to work on it? Really, found that after dropping my car, it harder to place a jack underneath when I like to work under my car. How do some of you do it? The only solution I see would be to own a shop and use one of those lifts they have, but that to me is impossible, financially, at least...oh well it not that bad, but just goes to show there is a downside to everything you do.

Jims 86LXI HB
09-22-2002, 03:28 PM
Hey I got a cheap easy solution for you. Get a 2x6 from home depot and cut them into four pieces. Make 2 that are 2 ft long, than 2 that are about 14" long. Place the 2' long one's in front of your front tires and the other ones's in front of the rear tires, but a couple of inches away. Drive your car onto them. That should give you enough room to get the jack under the car. If they're not thick enough, just double them. I know it kinda sound's goofey, but it worked for me:wave:

CARBurn
09-22-2002, 04:27 PM
Thanks, I guess that might work.

But, the thing is my drop is not all that low, I just wonder how people with 2" or more get away with being able to jack up their car when they need to work on it or do they just take it to a shop with a lift? Just thought I'd ask...

Mantis88LX
09-22-2002, 04:41 PM
i use the same idea that Jim has, it works great

bobafett
09-22-2002, 04:43 PM
when i was at 87hybrids, he just had wooden plank "extensions" on his ramps, held in place with bolts, that dropped into teh holes in the ramp, it made the angle less extreme, and i got under my car just fine~ also a cheap solution

CARBurn
09-22-2002, 04:48 PM
Basically, what you are telling me is to be creative...o.k.

89AccordNate
09-22-2002, 06:27 PM
You can use wooded plank extensions on your car ramp or you can use some floor jacks. I have a floor jack that works fine if its in a slight dip in my driveway. But the car sits on the side about as low as the jack on a level surface. Its actually really easy to get a stock jack underneath the car. My car is lowered about 2.25"-2.5"

Nate.

YK86
09-22-2002, 06:36 PM
I use the car jack to raise it enough and then slip the real jack in to raise it up the rest of the way.

pearldrop
09-23-2002, 07:57 AM
I couldn't even get the stock jack under the sides of my car so I would use it to lift up the front of the car a few inches with the tow hooks so I could slip my regular jack under the lift points. The challenge for me was getting it high enough to get the car on jack stands. It always took forever to get it that high.

Site
09-23-2002, 08:23 AM
Where does everyone position your jack stands? Some pics would be helpful. When I lift the front of the car, I've been puttin the jack stands behind the front tires about 6-8 inches inside the car underneath this metal bump with a hole in it. I kinda thought the hole might be for auto lift arms to lock in or something.

bobafett
09-23-2002, 08:26 AM
well i used a small jack, to put the car up a few inches, then used a floor jack with 3 peices of wood to get my car high enough for jackstands, it took a while to figure that out, but once i got the strategy, its no sweat now! :)

1989se-i
09-23-2002, 11:03 AM
I Usually use the jacking points when i jack up my car

Grant2k
09-27-2002, 09:33 AM
when i lowered my car i couldn't get the jack stands out from under the rear, so i used the tow hooks like Pearldrop. i dropped it 1 1/2" so i can get a jack under it with some trickery, but i haven't really had to jack it up other than to change the oil since i dropped it. i am definitly gonna try and put it on planks next time for that extra lfit.
and on the right rear side, where do you guys put a jack stand? it seems that the exhaust is in the way over there.