PDA

View Full Version : cooling fans

oscwrestler
06-14-2008, 08:16 AM
are there any radiators that have different sensors for the fans? i've gone through 2 radiators trying to get the fans to work.

Bass Man
06-14-2008, 08:32 AM
My fans never worked, so I just wired up a relay to a switch and it works awesome! I took my thermostat out, though, so it never really even gets above the cold line (on my temp gauge it doesn't even move it unless I am idling for 20+ minutes)

2oodoor
06-14-2008, 09:30 AM
My fans never worked, so I just wired up a relay to a switch and it works awesome! I took my thermostat out, though, so it never really even gets above the cold line (on my temp gauge it doesn't even move it unless I am idling for 20+ minutes)

advise not to do that, this isn't a 66 chevy you keep running by using popsicle sticks, rubber bands and duct tape.
Running without a thermostat never lets the oil get to operating temp, makes uneven temps throughout the motor, prevents the coolant from staying in the radiator long enough to actuall make a heat exchage, shit I can make a whole list of why it's unhealthy. Im not surprized you had oem carb issues galore like that as well.

Bass Man
06-14-2008, 10:48 AM
My carb is finally running right! lol

I knew I needed to get a new thermostat, but it got to about 230 degree's one day and I said screw that! Maybe I will get a new thermo this weekend :S

oscwrestler
06-14-2008, 12:09 PM

so you just did a switch and turned it on when the car got warm?

turabaka
06-14-2008, 12:11 PM
yeah thermostats are cheap and easy to replace. I did mine two days ago because it was stuck open like yours is. I put a new o-ring between the housing and the block too. less than 20 bucks for all the parts.

87newb
06-14-2008, 08:04 PM
where exactly is the housing for the thermostat? ive never changed one and i have no idea about them. and i cant find any pictures cuz my google isnt working. can anybody post pictures. sry not trying to thread jack.

and also about your cooling fans, i couldnt get mine to work either, turns out, half of my fuse box was burnt and blown. u might need to replace it. what i did was replaced it, then my brother (my electrical man) ran a wire from my relay to i think my starter or something, but they come on and stay on as soon as i turn my car on, and turn off when i turn my car off, works very well though. if i was wrong about where it was ran to, please correct me, as i did not do the wiring.

i also had to replace radiator cuz of it.

turabaka
06-14-2008, 08:09 PM
The thermostat housing is directly behind the distributor. The upper radiator hose runs right into it. I don't have a pic but hopefully you get what I'm talking about.

87newb
06-14-2008, 08:13 PM
the side running into the block or the side running to the radiator?

turabaka
06-14-2008, 08:15 PM
The thermostat is on the side connected to the hose, but there's a rubber gasket ring on the block side that you should replace at the same time.

oscwrestler
06-14-2008, 09:45 PM
and also about your cooling fans, i couldnt get mine to work either, turns out, half of my fuse box was burnt and blown. u might need to replace it. what i did was replaced it, then my brother (my electrical man) ran a wire from my relay to i think my starter or something, but they come on and stay on as soon as i turn my car on, and turn off when i turn my car off, works very well though. if i was wrong about where it was ran to, please correct me, as i did not do the wiring.

i also had to replace radiator cuz of it.

i didnt even think about that... but they worked the last time i drove my car so idk. the sensor didnt click when i put it in so i bet that was it.

Bass Man
06-14-2008, 09:57 PM
If they used to work and suddenly stopped in the middle of a cool-down cycle, then it is most likely a fuse. If it worked like normal one day, and doesn't the next day, then it is most likely the relay.

Either way, check all the fuses and check the relays designated "Fan 1 and 2(if you have A/C)"

BTW, the starter has 2 hot wires going to it, one is your battery-starter. It's always hot. Second is your "Switch" wire that tells the starter to start for as long as you are holding "Start", then it turns off... There is no constant ignition to the starter.

It could be connected to your ignition on your key... That's one of the many that are on at "Ign"

87newb
06-14-2008, 10:54 PM
ya, as long as i have my key turned at least to the notch right before crank, my fans are on. i think its neat.

are there any sealants or anything i need to replace thermostat?

LX-incredible
06-14-2008, 11:21 PM
With the key in the run position, try jumping the pins of the 2 wire connector at the bottom of the radiator. If the fans come on the sensor is bad or the radiator isn't getting up to temp. The fans should also come on with the AC compressor, provided you're holding a charge... Other than that check the fuses, relays, and the fans themselves.

oscwrestler
06-20-2008, 06:18 PM
so i got em to work. i just needed to wiggle the damn connector. so no more worries i can drive again for the first time in 6 months tomorrow