PDA

View Full Version : anybody like flat paint?

lostforawhile
06-14-2008, 02:17 PM
not sure yet, but i am hopefully going to paint my car summer quarter, it's kind of up in the air,my autobody teacher just retired after 35 years, so i don't know who is going to fill his shoes yet, but if everything goes allright i will try to paint it. i was thinking of going with a flattening agent in the paint, to make both the white and the black a flat color,well more of a satin, my car is done in the rat rod style,even if it' sa japanese car, and i think that look would look good. looking for opinions is all.

2oodoor
06-14-2008, 03:02 PM
I like the satin black but not flat white, I would just use BCCC white and maybe one coat of clear, not gobs of gloss depth to the white but not light absorbing either. I have seen some interesting color line breaks lately, seems to be getting more popular. I have been taking some interest in the Foose style color breaks. I like the way he studys it and graphs it out in pencil, studys the body lines and creates unique look.
You going to tech for AP&B? I went to Augusta tech three evenings a week for five years while working a body shops during the day. Also worked graveyard shift at the mill during that time.

knarg
06-14-2008, 03:31 PM
i would go with an OEM color rather than the flat, but that's me

Pico
06-14-2008, 03:33 PM
I like the idea lost, I toss around the idea of painting my Legend that way just to be different.
I say do it.

lostforawhile
06-14-2008, 03:37 PM
well i have the oem color,i was using single stage, but it's factory greek white. you add a flattening agent to the paint and it gives you the flat color. my car is so far from stock in so many ways it might be nice to do it different. they sell an entire line of polishes and everything for flat cars now.

mykwikcoupe
06-14-2008, 04:07 PM
flat looks great on a motorcycle but never seen it on a car before unless its one of the old greaser style retro rods

2oodoor
06-14-2008, 04:52 PM
I guess it gives a fleshy look, like baby seals or something.. j/k with the seals part.
How about a tribal graphic template to separate the flat white/black like a tatoo.
Lostforawhile I may be doing something like this too with the silver car, it has hail damage now, tiny dings everywhere.

Vanilla Sky
06-14-2008, 08:30 PM
I think it would flow with your car. Go for it.

Civic Accord Honda
06-14-2008, 11:34 PM
would fit ur car

88ctlxi
06-15-2008, 08:32 AM
i personally live the flat look i see it on all kinds of show trucks with all the body damage oi have on the driver side of my 3 g ill be switching the metallic black i have to flat back all around then im going to do a tribal pattern in like satin or semi gloss so i say go for it i love the look:cool:

knarg
06-15-2008, 08:36 AM
you should add machine guns and missile launchers first

lostforawhile
06-15-2008, 08:38 AM
you should add machine guns and missile launchers first:idea:

88ctlxi
06-15-2008, 09:06 AM
you should add machine guns and missile launchers first

hahaha thats a pretty good idea for bad traffic conditions hahaha people would move out of your way thats for damn sure

lostforawhile
06-15-2008, 10:10 AM
i'm checking into the flattening agent for cross fire paint compatibility . i believe i can mix the entire gallon with it, then i have extra for touch ups. it doesn't react with the paint itseld i believe it's mainly silicon dioxide.

2oodoor
06-15-2008, 11:19 AM
all you need is some blending clear and el cheapo laquer thinner.. :lol:

I painted a Saab once at someone else's shop in the middle of the night, I had some overlaps that needed attention, the Saab has that long slope hood and no fenders , I needed a fog coat so all I could find was some blending clear and what I thought was acry enamel reducer (wrong! somebody must needed a can for thinner out of the drum) so I mixed it up and did my thing. It was very slick and holding on, and the metalic was spacing out nicely. Hell I cleaned up the guns, and got everything ready to close up and it still looked awesome. Came back the next afternoon and it looked like primer it died back so bad, Very very uniform tone and color though:rolleyes:

Strahan
06-16-2008, 06:24 AM
I saw some pics once of a car with flat black, it looked awesome. A quick Googling turned up:

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2008/02/porsche_carrera_gt_flat_black.jpg

If it comes out nice like that, should look cool.

markmdz89hatch
06-16-2008, 06:39 AM
it would take a hell of a lot more than a can of paint to make it look like that.....

anyway, i say go for it. for a year or so (back in like 2000 or 2001) it was pretty common to see chalk-board paint on show-cars in the import circuit. You don't see it that much, but it's very similar to the flat or satin paints you're talking about.

Honestly Tim, you break the mold with your car when it comes to mods, etc, (aviation lights, custom tails [i know you don't have them on now], rustang scoop, etc) and although a bunch of people have said they're not so sure about it, for the most part the mods looked good. If you think the flat will look good, have at it. Worst case, you don't like it, so you respray the car again. I had a friend who had a show car that he repainted every year or two for the better part of 10 years. It got very expensive for him, but he was addicted to trying new things on the same car.

2oodoor
06-16-2008, 07:03 AM
Well stated Mark (as usual :squint:) I agree 110 percent
I think the F-22 bomber (stealth) looks good too :cool:

89T
06-16-2008, 07:15 AM
hey lost, i think the flat looks bad ass,
and some red and white pin striping would really set it off.
that was the plan for mine but as you can tell all i got done was the flat black.
if you are going to do it the right way from what i was told, you add the satin additive to the clear and not the base.
they were telling me that you can do it with a single stage but it was not recommended.

either way i cant wait to see what you come up with.

good luck bro.

lostforawhile
06-17-2008, 03:10 PM
hey lost, i think the flat looks bad ass,
and some red and white pin striping would really set it off.
that was the plan for mine but as you can tell all i got done was the flat black.
if you are going to do it the right way from what i was told, you add the satin additive to the clear and not the base.
they were telling me that you can do it with a single stage but it was not recommended.

either way i cant wait to see what you come up with.

good luck bro.you can do it with single stage,hot rod guys do it all the time. they sell the paint already made up like this,but since i have the paint need to flatten it is all.