PDA

View Full Version : dynamat or alternative?

POS carb
09-22-2002, 02:11 PM
I've seen all sorts of dynamat but on ebay theres all this alternative shit like fat mat and everything, anybody try one of these? Do they work? I don't want to pay for the name, I just want some sound deadening...

shepherd79
09-22-2002, 04:29 PM
i have dynomat in my trunk.
it did wonders for me.
i used to have bad rattle somewhere in the trunk. after i putt dynomat it went away. my sub sounds a lot better.
yeah, there are few thing on the market you can by to sound proof the car, but i would say go with dynomat. everybody use it and no one never said anything or at least i haven't heard anything bad.

GreenMachine
09-22-2002, 05:50 PM
I just went to a hotrod store in town and got a roll of car insulation with the silver lining on the one side.
Also a couple of my friends have used this material that is just like dynamat, it is for roofing. Can't remeber the name of the material.

kennycm
09-22-2002, 06:09 PM
i have dynamat and it is ok but it's too expensive. I say that it's not worth it. i wish that i didn't buy it although the black and blue looks nice. I'll probably still buy the imitation stuff and put it on the sides of my trunk.

SQ is the SQUAD
09-23-2002, 06:24 PM
i brought the fat mat off ebat, for 130 shipped you get 100 sq feet, you cant beat that, i havent tried it out yet

89accordlxi
09-23-2002, 07:55 PM
I bought this stuff a while back but don't remember where. It was called acoustical sound damping for like home theature rooms. It is very much like dynamat as I understand it. It is an asphalt based product with a self adhesive side. I was like $10 for like a 24x36 sheet. I bought 4 sheets and it was enough to do the whole floor and my 2 front doors. And it seemed to work very well... It cut out alot of road noise. But that was before I modified the exhaust and intake. So know the engine noise still comes through. But I think it was worth it. About a 1/4 of the price of dynamat.. i will see if i can find out what it was and from what site...

Peace out.

89accordlxi
09-23-2002, 09:05 PM
I found the site. It is www.mcmaster.com. do a searh for sound damping on their site.
It is the Adhesive-Back Damping Sheet Polymeric Mastic,.070" Thk,.7 Lbs/SF, 32" X 54", Black

$ 12.79 Each

From what I've heard, it is basically dynamat with out the brand name. I heard that the dynamat company sometimes uses this product and puts there name on it when they run out. (I have no way of proving or disproving this. It is just what I've heard. So don't quote me on this.)

I recommend having a heat gun if you decide to use this product or apply it on a hot day, letting it sit in the sun for awhile before using it. It is pliable, but warming it up as much as possibel will make the job easier.

Well, that's my good deed for the day..

Good night.
peace..

doug
09-23-2002, 09:09 PM
my alternative solution,
http://87accord.com/sound.html
for your viewing pleasure.
as a footnote, it's been a couple months since I did the work and as it turns out it was better than I expected.

87AccordsterLx
09-24-2002, 08:58 AM
dammmm.... thats really clean man... I bet you cant hear a damn thing in that car... really nice job....

doug
09-24-2002, 01:27 PM
there is noise, it's just attenuated (?) to a more pleasant level.

87pimpsterdocious
09-25-2002, 03:34 PM
alright, from what i've heard, raamat (just like dynamat) is better and way cheaper. http://www.cureline.net/lex/raamsale.htm (on sale too)

POS carb
09-28-2002, 01:10 PM
I was also thinking about buying a gallon of driveway crack sealer, it's like $6 and it would be good to apply in difficult areas. I also need ideas for my rear deck cuz that fiber shit carpet has to go.

POS carb
09-28-2002, 01:11 PM
oh and I asked for a sample of fat mat, it looks pretty thin but with 100 sq ft you can do a lot of layering, and the ebay prices are the same as if you order it direct from the company.

doug
09-28-2002, 01:37 PM
personally, I'd refrain from using any asphalt based products on interior parts ( including trunks ) because they usually seep vapors over the life span, especially in real hot climates such as South Florida, but then if you want to be huffing asphalt vapors every day that's your trip.

SQ is the SQUAD
10-03-2002, 08:40 PM
i just fat matted my galant, i should have my 3 12's hooked up tomarrow so ill let you know how it goes, i only put one layer