PDA

View Full Version : making a custom shortshifter? designs

mykwikcoupe
06-17-2008, 12:45 PM
So I dropped mine off at a buddies house to be welded. What I asked hm to do is add a 1 inch section to the bottom side of the ball thus adding distance making the shifter a shorter throw.

I then asked him to remove 2 inches of materal to the top section from the angled portion of the shifter and rewelding back in the threaded section and smooth out the relief. what do you think of the thoughts? Im going for a super short BMV/VW type handle.

Im not sure how to fix the boot afterwards but Ill figure something out

markmdz89hatch
06-17-2008, 01:15 PM
the boot should be no issue either way. ...but instead of having him re-weld the threaded part back on, just get yourself a die, and cut new threads on the top of the post left behind. As long as the outer diameter is damn close to the threaded diameter you're all set. Hell, if you like a certain shifter from another car that's threaded differently than our stock one, you can just die cut the new post with the thread you need.

mykwikcoupe
06-17-2008, 01:27 PM
I thought the 2 inches off the top was a little excessive but I also thought I can make up the height in a shifter knob. I think Ill end up havinf someone restitch the boot to accomidate the shorter boot. The super loose boots look like ass.

MessyHonda
06-17-2008, 06:20 PM
here is a pic of mine
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/car/DSCF2126Small.jpg

fogged
06-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Just use a 2g teg boot. They are shorter than our boot, and dont have the gay ass snap on ring at the top.