PDA

View Full Version : OBD1 Upgrade Q? not using internal igniter

mykwikcoupe
06-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Im using a 93 teg LS dizzy and it has an internal igniter. If I decide not to use the internal igniter and use the external coil pack that comes with the accord, will it harm the dizzy itself? Is anyone not using the internal igniter. the reason I ask is my bros car burns through dizzys because his internal coil shits out on him every other year or so. Id like to run a msd 6AL and Blaster coil thus not using the dizzy's. Is this ok?

mykwikcoupe
06-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Ok Ive been reading about this for 3 hours and Im official confused as all hell. The accord stock dizzy has a biult in igniter and also uses and external coil. The 93 Teg LS dizzy I have has a biult in igniter but no coil tower. Im not sure how to say it but WTF do I do?

I know that I can get a cap with a coil tower on it but for wiring purposes? Help Im confused. thanks Mike

2oodoor
06-17-2008, 03:57 PM
I believe MSD makes an adapter dist cap that does away with that dreadful internal coil headache. With it you can use the Blaster and 6al. I think you still retain the OEM ignitor in any case though.
I can't find it in summit to get you the part number, I will have to get it from another source at work tommorrow

2oodoor
06-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Not an Integra expert, but how can the dist not have a secondary voltage source hence coil tower or a way for the secondary voltage generator to get to the spark wire terminals in the cap? the coil would have to be inside and you are saying it is not so I am confused too. I know I am in elementary basics here , not trying to be insulting just trying to sync with your question.

mykwikcoupe
06-17-2008, 04:08 PM
I believe MSD makes an adapter dist cap that does away with that dreadful internal coil headache. With it you can use the Blaster and 6al. I think you still retain the OEM ignitor in any case though.
I can't find it in summit to get you the part number, I will have to get it from another source at work tommorrow

thanks but what Id like to know is if I have a 7 pin dizzy and I want to run the external coil, do I hook it up the same as listed in the definitive OBD1 conversion and run the 2 pin connector black/yellow and blue to the coil as well as a coil tower wire

2oodoor
06-17-2008, 04:11 PM
The biggest killer of the internal coils is moisture. If I were using one I would make a boot for the cap and do some sealing.

MessyHonda
06-17-2008, 06:37 PM
i thought the 90-91 used the internal coil and the 92-93 used the external just like the 4th gen accords? mine uses a external coil...but mine is for the 4th gen....ask tooloud what he used.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
06-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Just remove the internal igniter and coil and use a igniter from 88-91 lube it would be just like useing the OBD-0 setup but it OBD-1.