PDA

View Full Version : 89 accord AC compessor leaking ( R-12)

1989accordaz
06-17-2008, 08:09 PM
My AC ( R-12) does not work, I had the system tested and it's the compressor that is leaking, it's empty as of right now. I was told that there is a kit to rebuild it etc.. so the estimated quote is around $1,400 dls. ( $900 dls for the kit! )

Now, is it me or these guys want to retire early? That seems to me to much to pay to repair the AC, but what do I know.

My question is, can I just replace the compressor myself and have it tested for leaks and then fill it up with new R-12? What else do I need to change other than belts?

I live in Tucson, AZ. And not having AC is a form of suicide around here during the summer months. So I would like to fix it before its starts raining, otherwise it will be like driving in a crock-pot.

Oldblueaccord
06-17-2008, 08:23 PM
You can buy a rebuilt and put it in yourself. As far as the R-12 since it is not being made that might be where all the cost is as far as that estimate goes.

I myself converted to R-134A about 12years ago. Its about 9$ a 12 oz can. I am happy with it. Theres some post on here if you search about.

wp

Dr_Snooz
06-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Take it to another shop. I got a similar quote on my '93 Accord. I took it to another shop and they had it fixed for just the diagnosis cost. If the same thing happens to you, you'd do well to write a complaint to your state Bureau of Auto Repair or whatever you have there in Arizona. Typically, the state agency will log your complaint and investigate. They probably won't do much, but there will be a complaint on record that will be reported to other motorists who inquire about the shop. You'd be doing your fellow drivers a real service by complaining about a crooked shop.

It doesn't sound like you are real familiar with A/C work, so I'd advise you to leave the work to professionals.

MessyHonda
06-18-2008, 06:00 PM
on ebay they sale compresors for like 115 bucks...you can install it and have a shop fill it up with r-12...but i heard it cost alot of money...or you can take it to mexico...my aunt took her car to TJ and they charged her like 150 to fix her AC...and it worked...till she junked the car.

Pico
06-18-2008, 06:09 PM
like oldblueaccord said just convert to r134.
I believe there are two model of compressors for the accord one is'nt worth a damm if you switch over and the other one will work just fine.
Make sure you also change the condenser if you switch over to r134.
I did a change over on my Legend and I am happy with the results.

Dr_Snooz
06-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Make sure you also change the condenser if you switch over to r134.

The Keihin compressor is rubbish. But do you maybe mean that he should change the filter, not the condenser?

Pico
06-18-2008, 08:07 PM
The Keihin compressor is rubbish. But do you maybe mean that he should change the filter, not the condenser?

I meant the receiver drier,
Thanks for catching that :)

88accordlxcarb
06-19-2008, 03:55 PM
You can put es-12a in your car without changing anything(except a new compressor). I've had it in my car for 5 years now. Nothing works as good as R-12, but it works fine when you are moving.

http://autorefrigerants.com/co00033.htm

Check out my how to for details.

1989accordaz
06-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the tips and pointers!

What I decided to do is to buy a rebuilt compressor and dryer and I will install it myself. I don't mind paying the higher cost of R-12 becasue that thing was blowing ice cubes when it worked. I found the "how to" here on the forums: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19188&highlight=convert+R134

So I am gonna give it a shot and replace it myself. I'll post how it goes!. :nervous:

I'll check the es-12a option as well!

Zwolfe
06-19-2008, 07:35 PM
It was blowing ice cubes because the freon level was low. Doing that for too long will lead to failure.

I know, I thought frost flakes and an icy mist and the cubes and such meant your A/C was the shit as well. Well, it ain't. It's gonna die, just give it time.

Low and high freon levels have the opposite effect that someone originally think would occur backwards.

If the freon level is too high, it won't cool as good.
If the freon level is too low, it'll be more cold than over charged.

Either case is bad. It should be within specs.

My wife had an 89 Mercury Cougar once and that damn thing just threw icy mist all over the damn place. I thought it was rockin' as far as A/C went. She cracked the block in that car before the A/C system finally failed.

1989accordaz
06-20-2008, 04:51 PM
When I said that it was "blowing ice cubes' I didn't mean it literally. I just meant that it was always blowing ice cold, compared to cars with R134. So I prefer R12 vs R134 from personal experience. my car has 220k on it. I am expecting it to last until 300k at least, the engine is strong. Tranny is running smooth. So I am going to look at the least expensive option. The conversion would have been worth it a few years back, not sure is cost efficient right now since I am just gonna fill it up one last time.