PDA

View Full Version : Possible Starter or Solenoid Issue

DBMaster
06-19-2008, 10:39 AM
This should be a basic question and I think I already know the answer, but I wanted to run it by the experts here. A few months ago I had a rebuilt distributor die on me which also shorted the coil as well. Until I got it figured out I cranked the engine with the starter more than I ever have before in the life of the car. Now I get intermittent occurrences of the starter barely cranking the engine. I thought battery at first since my Optima Red Top is almost six years old, but it tests OK from a voltage standpoint. I am thinking I either need to get a proper battery load test, or that I damaged the starter or solenoid by running it too long.

Opinions?

Muchas gracias, amigos!

Oldblueaccord
06-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Most likely its worn or heat scored brushes. To test it hot cranking it should read a certain voltage like 10 volts or what ever the book says. If it reads higher like on my old Dodge it read 11 volts then the brushes were not passing the current like they should be.

wp

DBMaster
06-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Well, I figured since I had time I took it to Sam's and they hooked up the tester. The battery was only putting out about 200 CCA. That's about 25% of the rated capacity. I had an Optima Red Top that was just a few months short of six years old. So, it did last twice as long as a conventional battery. I have changed batteries a number of times in 19 years.

Here's the good part. Regular batteries would give me just a couple of weak starts and then they wouldn't start the car at all and I would have to jump it. The Optima battery still started the car even when it could barely turn the starter. So, needless to say I bought another one today. The old one came out of the car looking nearly as clean as the new one. I can't recommend these batteries highly enough and when you figure that they last twice as long they are worth the extra cost.

Peace.

AccordB20A
06-19-2008, 02:06 PM
well all i can say is i have driven my car 1km on the starter motor and it still works to this day. But my gfs car when i start it allways sounds like the battery is dieing so maybe one in a few starter motors dont like being heated up that much

bobafett
06-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Ugh, I killed 3 red tops in as many years. Now I have an Odyssey battery and I love it.

I think Optima batteries USED to be really good, but I heard somewhere they are using shitty materials now, and the batteries just don't last like they used to, and once they die it is a lot harder to bring them back.

Hopefully you don't have bad luck now with the newer Optima batteries... sounds like your old one was a trooper. :-)

DBMaster
06-20-2008, 06:57 AM
For $140 it better be as good as the last one. Funny thing is that when I bought the last one I was not sure I would still have the car when it reached the replacement point. So, I would say the CAR is a trooper, too!