PDA

View Full Version : sio my 3g died again

chowder
06-19-2008, 09:09 PM
its been idling really weird and now wont start. i dont know what could possibly be wrong with it again..... i have no money so my parents have spent so much money in the last 2 months cause everything has gone wrong from distributor to timing belts and its still acting up. i dont know so frustrating

Pico
06-19-2008, 09:20 PM
have you check for spark? Are you getting fuel to the Carb?
How do the plugs look?

chowder
06-19-2008, 09:31 PM
the plugs and wires were replaced a month ago. im gonna say its got something to do with my carb because i flipped my lid today and it was running weird so i flipped it back over but it sounds like im probably not getting fuel to the carb so i dont know what im gonna do yet, i dont yet know anything about the cars mechanical componants but im trying to learn but well see

Toneloc5145
06-20-2008, 07:13 AM
You should always look for the cheapest way to fix something before the more expensive things. I would look at changing the fuel filters, cleaning the carb, etc. before jumping to conclusions. Check if your getting spark and fuel before you spend any money on anything, because knowing what your NOT getting is going to point you in the right direction as to what is wrong.

chowder
06-20-2008, 08:18 AM
all the little things that could go bad are new like filters wires plugs etc. the carb hasnt been looked at since ive had it so my best bet with the strange idling ive been having is that its something with the carb

frantik
06-20-2008, 10:50 AM
do you have enough gas? :D

greentee76
06-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Check to see if your venturi boosters are loose. Explained in this thread:http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48568

evil88accordLX
06-20-2008, 12:15 PM
do you have enough gas? :D

good question. my 3gee, when low on gas, sometimes just doesnt want to start. i actually had to buy a gas can and walk across the parking lot for gas at walmart one day, because when i got back to the car to leave she wouldnt start. and i know there was gas in there, the light had just come on as i was parking the car. since then i try not to let it get past 1/4 tank.......

chowder
06-20-2008, 01:02 PM
well i went to it this morning and it started, i dont know. i think i need to work on my carb for the idling issues, also when the lid is flipped does anyone have heating issues with the car running a little hot?

chowder
06-20-2008, 07:35 PM
so now it wont start again i think its issues with my carb, because i flip the lid then has issues and flip it back but its still not starting this is really lame

Dr_Snooz
06-21-2008, 01:29 PM
I freakin' hate carbs. FI is a blessing from the gods.

Anyway, like Toneloc said above, you need two things to start the car: fuel and fire. If one or both of those is missing, you won't start. Begin with fuel. Take a fuel line off the carb and turn the key on. If fuel comes gushing out, floods the engine bay, driveway and gutter before you can get the key off, you know you're getting fuel to the carb. If it doesn't come out, or only trickles, your problem is further up the line near the fuel tank.

When you have eliminated fuel problems, move to fire. The Honda manual has lots of good diagnostic procedures for all of the fire controls (coil, distributor, wires and plugs). The manual is available for download here:

http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html

A preliminary step, though is simply to remove a plug, ground it to the engine block and try to start the car (be sure to unplug the other wires first so it doesn't start). I'll warn you that if you don't ground it right, you'll shock yourself silly. You can also try one of those spark tester tools from Harbor Freight (no chance of shocking yourself). The spark should be good and strong. If it isn't you know there's a problem with the distributor or coil or wires.

That's the quick and dirty version. A much more complete discussion is available here:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/us1296.htm

You should also check your Venturis like Greentee suggested.

Starting problems can be really frustrating, so the last step (and one I've used very, very often) is to take the car to the shop and pay for diagnosis. Once you have the diagnosis, decline the repairs and fix it yourself.

Hope that helps and good luck!

chowder
06-21-2008, 08:27 PM
the cool thing for me is that my dad has hook ups with a friend of his shop that will give us free diagnostics and pretty much only charge for parts, but recently i have been questioning the quality of work and parts due to the car excessively breaking week after week. i have recently had the distributor replaced and he did say he found a matching part to fit the dx's a20a distributor that wasnt ridiculous. but he did take a while to get everything adjusted so it worked "right". but im really not sure. he fixed my dads saturn and it has had issues since maybe a year plus now. its just really confusing

Dr_Snooz
06-21-2008, 09:16 PM
I wasn't going to bring it up, but yeah, you might have a mechanic problem. I'm not sure what your history is with the car. The only repairs you list are a timing belt and a distributor. Both are pretty expensive and not unusual. If you've been doing a lot of other goofy stuff, or redoing stuff; it's time to take a step back. These little cars just run and run, largely without any big blowups. Your car should be getting you stoked, not bumming you out. You should smile every time you drive it that this million year old bucket of bolts still runs great and is heaps of fun.

Try another shop and you might have better luck.

Pico
06-21-2008, 09:32 PM
send a PM to skycam_313, he's pretty good with carbs. He helped geddy when he had his carbed 3G.
I dont know if he's been on in awhile but it's worth a try