PDA

View Full Version : valve cover gasket (inc. sealer)?...

paul
06-21-2008, 07:33 AM
hey guys,

Just picked up a felpro valve cover gasket, the people at the autoparts store said I must also use permatex blue RTV silicon gasket maker to seal the gasket.

I was under the impression that I was to simply add in the gasket, and screw the cover back on, no extra sealents needed. Should I use the sealent anyway?...

Thanks!

Dr_Snooz
06-21-2008, 01:06 PM
You want to use a sealer at the sharp corners that seat next to the camshaft. Just a little dab will be sufficient. You don't really need it, but the possibilities for leaks are greatest at those points.

I've always used black RTV sealer and haven't had a problem, but some guys here recommend against RTV with rubber gaskets.

BITESIZE
06-21-2008, 01:08 PM
I agree ^^

paul
06-21-2008, 02:02 PM
ok! Thanks for the input guys...

2oodoor
06-21-2008, 02:37 PM
I would not use rtv on the valve cover gasket except for those corners around the cam gear end. Just a touch on the two spots. You need to keep in mind you want to be able to remove the valve cover in the future without tearing up the gasket. The rubber gasket should stay intact on the cover when you remove the cover to adjust valves and check head bolt torque during routine servicing.
If you need something to hole the gasket in place you can use weather strip glue (gorilla snot) or either permatex hi tack. Either would be used sparingly between the gasket and cover. For the most part the gaskets and cover are designed for a "locked in fit"

Civic Accord Honda
06-21-2008, 04:53 PM
i used the grey colored gasket sealer

turabaka
06-22-2008, 12:18 AM
I put in a new one I bought from Napa when I switched over to the lx-i valve cover. I didn't use any extra sealants aside from just the gasket. No leaks at all so far.

paul
06-22-2008, 04:24 AM
I had to actually use a thin line of sealer around the entire 'inset' of the valve cover to just get the gasket to stay in place with the cover...

Seems like the former owner used sealer though, all the leaking areas had sizeable mounds of old dryed sealer, which was the cause of all the leaks.

Good news though, the timing belt is a fresh-looking Gates one, so seems like I can hold off on doing that for a few more months at least!

paul
06-22-2008, 04:34 AM
Lost a valve cover bolt... and of course only Honda sells them (hopefully), now the waiting game begins...

87lxiaccord
06-22-2008, 05:29 AM
go to the junkyard and pull a couple or got to the hardware store and get a nut that is the same size and thread pitch

paul
06-22-2008, 05:36 AM
...update, found it thankfully! I do have to go lookup some junkyards in the area though for future use.

Dr_Snooz
06-22-2008, 10:35 AM
I had to actually use a thin line of sealer around the entire 'inset' of the valve cover to just get the gasket to stay in place with the cover...

Seems like the former owner used sealer though, all the leaking areas had sizeable mounds of old dryed sealer, which was the cause of all the leaks.

You probably already know this, but you want to be in the habit of removing any old sealer before adding more.

I do have to go lookup some junkyards in the area though for future use.

Junkyard = Disneyland

Woohoo!

paul
06-22-2008, 10:58 AM
You probably already know this, but you want to be in the habit of removing any old sealer before adding more.
Junkyard = Disneyland
Woohoo!

I've owned a dohc saturn, I know all about scraping off gasket sealer ;)