PDA

View Full Version : battery light @ over 4000 rpms

roofusgooner
06-21-2008, 12:06 PM
My battery comes on or blinks a little bit sometimes when I rev over 4000 rpms. I'm on my third alternator in less than a year and this is how it always starts. What could be the problem? I'm almost positive it's not the alternator at this point.

Edit~Oh yeah, and sometimes when I try to start it it's a little weak and there's a bit of tach jump. Once in a great while it takes multiple trys to start for no apparent reason. Idles crappy too.

BITESIZE
06-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Bad alternator.....many many times of experience......

Check all of your grounds. I had a bad ground, so that was killing the voltage regulator inside of the alternator.

Civic Accord Honda
06-21-2008, 04:58 PM
i'd just replace all of the grounds and the positive battery wire once wires hit a certain age they don't tend to work as good as they once did lol
also id recommend upgrading the size of them

MessyHonda
06-21-2008, 05:22 PM
i remember my car did that...and it was the alternator. now i have a napa reman rated at 77amps....now i rev my car to 7000 and no bat light.

roofusgooner
06-21-2008, 07:10 PM
ok, here's a dumb question, where are the grounds?

AccordB20A
06-21-2008, 07:51 PM
by grounds i think they mean engine earths

but i have good good engine earths and new wiring and my alt fucks out all the time aswell.

EricW
06-22-2008, 07:31 PM
ok, here's a dumb question, where are the grounds?

There is one from the valve cover to the radiator support and one from the transmission to (?) on the other side of the motor.

Bass Man
06-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Mine did that and I replaced the $10 brushes and it stopped doing that... The alternator is one of the hardest things to replace on these cars if you don't have all the emmision crap off of it... Good luck is all I have to say...

It's easy if you know what you are doing and have the right tools for the job... From Rollable to alternator out for me was about 1 1/2 hours my first time, now I could do it in about 40 minutes. With all the emmision off, my best time is 9 minutes.

Bass Man
06-22-2008, 08:00 PM
The BIG 3 is pretty easy to do; also with the right tools...

BIG 3 is:
GROUND
1. Engine to Frame
2. Engine to Battery
3. Battery to Frame

If you throw hot wires in, you will be replacing one from the alternator to the battery and the starter to the battery.

AccordB20A
06-22-2008, 10:38 PM
i have battery to engine, battery to chassis and then gearbox, and engine to chassis in two places, a 4 gauge alt to battery wire and flash battery terminals

anything in your car thats draws large current amounts? i think my alt keeps dieing due to my inefficient amplifier putting loads on the regulator and the regulator fucks out trying to keep putting out 12v on large bass lines.

if my alt belts loose it squeaks with the beat sometimes lol

roofusgooner
07-06-2008, 09:50 PM
if you're curious, here's a video of the light in action, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm2zH6roRqA .I had taken time away from this and I almost forgot about it since I don't drive that much. Someone said it could be a loose alternator belt. I don't buy it but what do you think?

Hauntd ca3
07-06-2008, 10:07 PM
it dosnt bring the cat converter light on aswell duz it?
check the charge voltage when the light comes on and see what it is
mine dun that and it turned out the regulater in the back of the alt was stuffed and was trying to charge at 18 volts