PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light

fogged
06-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Ok here is my problem. My check engine light is comeing on and off at random.:werd: It never comes on and stays on for the whole drive. Ive got under the seat and checked for codes, but none are flashing. My ? is has anyone had this happen and if so how did you go about fixing it?

Civic Accord Honda
06-21-2008, 08:14 PM
thats what mine did when the 02 sensors died but when i did get the code if i checked it right after i turned the car off

fogged
06-21-2008, 08:25 PM
My O2s are only 8 months old at best.

fogged
06-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Ok it has finaly giving me a code. 6 flashes (ECT) If thats a true code and not my ECU f&#king up on me. That would explain why my fan keeps coming on at will. Anyone know where the darn thing is, and is it a pain in the ass to fix or a walk in the park? I cant find my manule.

Dr_Snooz
06-22-2008, 11:43 AM
The ECT (TW sensor) is one of the sensors on the thermostat housing. It's the smaller of the two sensors, closest to the head. To check it, warm the engine until the fans come on. Disconnect the sensor and measure resistance between the sensor terminals. There should be between 200 & 400 ohms. If not, replace. Then measure the connector terminals for voltage. There should be approx. 5V. If not, you have an ECU or wire problem. I think the sensor is around $50 from Napa.

I had to replace my ECT not long ago, but I didn't have what you're describing. I just had a minor warm start problem. As for your fans, I think the ECT is just a sensor to give info to the ECU. The fans are controlled separately.

Anyway, you might have something more going on. Check out the ECT and report back if you still have trouble.

Good luck.

fogged
06-24-2008, 07:01 PM
OK.... I have the ECT sensor. 17mm fits it just fine. The problem im having is that the plastic at the top where it plugs in is a lil to large to fit in the socket. Do I force it in the socket and risk the damage to the ECT or is there another way to get it in? Hopefuly with out the removal of a shit load of parts.

fogged
06-25-2008, 10:38 AM
OK... Fixed the issue and the check engine light is off. How do I reset the ECU or will it do it by itself?

codyJDM
06-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Unplug the negative battery terminal for a few minutes. That will reset the ECU.

AccordB20A
06-25-2008, 01:34 PM
yupyupyup

fogged
06-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Thanx. I love this place. :rockon: :bow: