PDA

View Full Version : 3gee vs Old lady in rav4 :(

frantik
06-22-2008, 01:25 PM
fuckin a.. driving to the grocery store today with my gf.. i'm in an empty turn lane headed to the light and i see this lady in the lane next to me start to move over, like right in front of me. I honk and swerve.. she sees me and pauses, then fucking continues to turn RIGHT INTO MY CAR :rocket::hmph::uh::pc::slap::wtf::gun::thumbdn:

luckily it wasn't major damage just cosmetic but still it sucks cause it's on the main body and can't be replaced. i'm a lil worried her insurance is gonna try to total my car though.. we'll see i might have to enlist Cheese's help in that dept lol. sucks this is the worst accident the car has been in in it's life too. of course her car had like no damage since it was the plastic bumper that hit me mostly. didn't call the cops but i should have since she crossed the solid white line (illegal lane change) in addition to being blind and stupid

the scrapes on the lower part of the bumper were there before as well as the vertical scratch in the dent area.. everything else is new though

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/3865/p6220043smallle8.jpg

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/1382/p6220045smallld6.jpg

race12001
06-22-2008, 01:31 PM
man that sux i hope they dont total it and thats a bad place to have insurance look at.

Vanilla Sky
06-22-2008, 02:20 PM
IMO, I'd have them appraise it, give you a quote, and if they try to total it, then get an independant appraisal. That portion of the car isn't that hard to replace. Any competent body shop should be able to replace that for $1500 at most, and have it look like it never happened.

paul
06-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Even popping the dent out by hand and compounding out the scratches would make it almost undetectable, except the obvious stuff like the tail light & where it's through the paint...

It's my understanding that the only reason for them to total the car is if repair costs are higher than the bluebook value of the car (usually); so can't you just accept less of a reimbursement from her insurance, and keep your car?

frantik
06-22-2008, 02:53 PM
i was able to push it out somewhat and it doesnt look quite as bad but still. their insurance place is closed but i already filed a claim with mine

BITESIZE
06-22-2008, 03:12 PM
You should have called the police, made a report. You also shouldn't have popped the dent out. I hope everything works out ok.

frantik
06-22-2008, 03:24 PM
yeah i wish i had called the cops but at the time we were in a hurry and i just didnt want to deal with it.. i was hella pissed and just wanted to leave lol. and it's not really popped out just a lil bit was then i was like hmm i dont know what i'm doing i should wait till someone who knows how to bang out dents works on it.

mushroom_toy
06-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Yeah any competent body shop should be able to get that out with body hammers and dollys, or replace the panel completely. It shouldnt be totaled. :)

frantik
06-22-2008, 03:35 PM
i hope so.. everything is more expensive here in the bay area though.. and painting it would be expensive i bet :nervous: whatever no need to worry bout it being totaled till it happens

AccordB20A
06-22-2008, 04:14 PM
its really only a minor dent but its gay how they always seem to hit panels that dont unbolt. thats the exact panel i dented when i crashed my car but mine was way worce. either way a good panel beater should be able to beat that panel back into shape.

Dr_Snooz
06-22-2008, 04:44 PM
That sucks. Body damage is the worst. It's so expensive, and doing it yourself really isn't an option for most people.

Best of luck with that.

Civic Accord Honda
06-22-2008, 07:43 PM
god damnit man! that fucking sucks :(

try taking the trunk panel off and pop the dent out with ur fist

codyJDM
06-22-2008, 07:48 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOO

My favorite 3g. :(

GraniteLXI
06-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Arg, i dont see why your car would be considered totaled even if the dmg is higher then the value of the car....I mean a lot of older cars (collector cars) even fixed up are not worth a lot as our cars are, shouldn't there be some kinda protection for older vehicles like ours from being considered "totaled"?

cameron7710
06-22-2008, 09:24 PM
i think its crazy if they total a car for a dent and some sraches i mean the car is still drive able

lostforawhile
06-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Yeah any competent body shop should be able to get that out with body hammers and dollys, or replace the panel completely. It shouldnt be totaled. :)
thats not that bad,my hatch corner looked like that from some idiot doing almost the same thing,except she fell asleep. i was able to fix it with hammer and dolly work. can never tell it was dented at all. almost no filler except for the sanding scratches. and dammit why does everyone live on the opposite side of the united states, i would have fixed that for you in an hour or so

forrest89sei
06-22-2008, 09:55 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Good Luck on the Repair

MessyHonda
06-22-2008, 10:11 PM
wow dude...that fucking sucks...reminds me of when i saw my dent on my car after i parked it in the street...damn bastards...hope they dont total it out.

Toneloc5145
06-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Man that sucks big time, that is in the absolute worse place for a car to get damaged. I would've been pissed beyond belief. An old person the other day pulled out of a turn lane and I almost ended his life, because he literally pulled out right in front of me as i was going 50 mph and jumped across three lanes of traffic.

frantik
06-22-2008, 11:47 PM
I would've been pissed beyond belief

trust me i'm glad my gf was there to tell me to calm down otherwise i dont know what i would have done

and yeah it can be banged out and i bet most of the marred paint fixed with rubbing compound but there is bare metal near the tail light

Stock89LXi
06-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Believe it or not, I know of a situation where an old person, who has cataracts, mind you, had to get tested for driving skills after crashing into a stationary object (the object jumped out in front of this person -- yeah, right). And then at the DMV, at least here in the Bay Area, all the tester did was tell the person to drive a 10 minute route that everybody knows is the test route. And then, when the vision test part came up, the old person wasn't told to look at the eye test charts. Instead the tester was gabbing with her coworkers at the DMV and just passed the person to still be on the road. Since that day, this old person has hit other things but is still driving. No, this old person is not the one who hit you Frantik, this person doesn't have a RAV-4. My point here is, WTF is up with the testers at DMV? That's why it's dangerous to drive around the Bay Area, and California, in general. When people's driving skills get to the point of being a danger to others, they should not be allowed to drive. Sorry to hear about you getting hit. It really sucks. Hey, I'd be fuming...FUMING!!

lostforawhile
06-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Believe it or not, I know of a situation where an old person, who has cataracts, mind you, had to get tested for driving skills after crashing into a stationary object (the object jumped out in front of this person -- yeah, right). And then at the DMV, at least here in the Bay Area, all the tester did was tell the person to drive a 10 minute route that everybody knows is the test route. And then, when the vision test part came up, the old person wasn't told to look at the eye test charts. Instead the tester was gabbing with her coworkers at the DMV and just passed the person to still be on the road. Since that day, this old person has hit other things but is still driving. No, this old person is not the one who hit you Frantik, this person doesn't have a RAV-4. My point here is, WTF is up with the testers at DMV? That's why it's dangerous to drive around the Bay Area, and California, in general. When people's driving skills get to the point of being a danger to others, they should not be allowed to drive. Sorry to hear about you getting hit. It really sucks. Hey, I'd be fuming...FUMING!!one of the people responsible for this is the AARP, they feel it's not fair to take away people driving privleges
even when they can't drive. it's DISCRIMINATION based on age. it's insanity is what i think it is. they were going to pass a law here that once you got to a certain age, you had to be tested every year, state was going to pick up the tab. but the dam AARP fought it and got it defeated. i guess it's not right to be unfair to them,even though we have to share the road. I know someone at work,who can't see ten feet in front of himself, he drives by weaving until he hears the edges of the road, or the center markers,yet he got a doctors excuse that allows him to not have to take the eye test. :rocket: there are a lot of people getting older and according to them, it's their right to drive,whether it's safe for them to or not. next the drunks will fight to have the right to drive plastered because it's their DISABILITY that they are alcoholics. someone out in cali already won a dui case because of claiming that,

frantik
06-24-2008, 09:55 AM
the lady wasn't super old like 60 something prolly.. i dont think it was her age that made her a bad driver just her lack of looking before turning

ug i hate looking at the dent i want to bang it out more and try some rubbing compound on it but i guess i should wait till it's appraised or something

gp02a0083
06-24-2008, 10:13 AM
thats an easy fix as far as the body goes

cameron7710
06-24-2008, 11:17 AM
the lady wasn't super old like 60 something prolly.. i dont think it was her age that made her a bad driver just her lack of looking before turning

ug i hate looking at the dent i want to bang it out more and try some rubbing compound on it but i guess i should wait till it's appraised or something

u hate looking at that dent well i know how u feel cause last week i rolled my moms truck into my brothers 3gee and pushed it through the brick wall of our carport:slap: so know i have to look at a broken wall and my brothers broken bumper the onley thing differnt is i cause it

ghettogeddy
06-24-2008, 12:09 PM
i mean some old people can drive but some shouldn't even be able to walk
my grandmother stop driving about a year ago not cause she couldent but cause my grandfather drives lol she is going blind but still thinks its not safe for her to drive so she dosent

lostforawhile
06-24-2008, 01:06 PM
i mean some old people can drive but some shouldn't even be able to walk
my grandmother stop driving about a year ago not cause she couldent but cause my grandfather drives lol she is going blind but still thinks its not safe for her to drive so she dosent
well there are a bunch of them who can't drive anymore,yet insist in doing it anyway.

frantik
06-26-2008, 04:14 PM
estimate : $1605.. $5 more than what i paid for it lol

Stock89LXi
06-26-2008, 08:44 PM

:ugh: Sorry to hear that, man. Maybe they won't "total" it because your vehicle is worth more???

lostforawhile
06-26-2008, 08:54 PM
:ugh: Sorry to hear that, man. Maybe they won't "total" it because your vehicle is worth more???take it to a local tech school see if the autobody class will fix that dent
also see what the insurance will give you if you accept less then total. also get an estiimate just on fixing the dent without repainting the car, you can get touch up paint put in spray cans for you

87roach
06-26-2008, 09:21 PM

You serious? Thats a fucking joke.

frantik
06-26-2008, 10:28 PM
well i got the estimate for them to repair it the right way not half ass it

14 hours of body labor @ 72 hour, 4 hours of paint labor and supplies at $102 hour (72 for labor, 30 for supplies(?)) and $150 for a new tail light

im not paying it so i dont give a shit.. looking at the invoice though it looks like it'll be $43 just to remove and install the rear bumper lol. i could also cut $200 off it just by doing the light myself (parts & labor). if the insurance people dick me around then we'll see what up. kelly bluebook says my "good" price is $1650 so i'm crossing my fingers. also i could probably go find somewhere else and get a cheaper estimate if i tried or could find some place which will work with me or whatever

Civic Accord Honda
06-26-2008, 10:32 PM
200 for a light?!?!?! and 43bux to remove a bumper?!? shit i need to get in to the body work

frantik
06-26-2008, 10:40 PM
yeah they have "remove and install rear bumper = 0.6 hours labor" x $72/hr = $48

remove and install the light is half an hour too lol

Civic Accord Honda
06-26-2008, 10:56 PM
LOL it takes 5mins to replace a light and 10 mins to remove the rear bumper

frantik
06-27-2008, 12:05 PM
yeah but these places always round up. if i were paying it myself i'd probably shop around more but i just picked some place which got good reviews on yelp since they're paying lol. 15 minutes to remove a light isn't hella long anyways.. i mean it would probably take me around that time the 1st time i removed it too.. after that no time at all i'm sure

Vanilla Sky
06-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Prices are quoted as per Mitchell on Demand, I'm betting.

frantik
09-30-2008, 02:13 AM
well the insurance place said my quote was too close to being totaled so they had one of their guys look at it, and supposedly i'm gonna get a check for $800 which is cool but still sucks cause the money wont go to fixing the car cause i've got so many other bills :\ (including a $270 speeding ticket.. damn dc header getting me in trouble already lolz)

MessyHonda
10-04-2008, 10:38 PM
that sucks....i got a loud exhaust ticket the other day

A18A
10-05-2008, 01:01 AM
man rav4s suck, i had one damaging the style of my car the other day :(

AccordB20A
10-05-2008, 11:52 AM
tell me about it. In other news some lady in a ford nearly deformed the left hand side of my car yesterday, if i didnt happen to swerve agressivly into the other lane to avoid them

MessyHonda
10-07-2008, 09:46 PM
today i almost got hit by a Mercedes Benz...i had to move to the other lane cuz it was merging to mine...got to be more protective

AccordB20A
10-07-2008, 10:25 PM
too many dumb fucks on the road these aye, 99% of them are asian

RamThis
10-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Most any body shop with a competent body worker (not todays cut it out, weld it back in, and slather bondo on it) can straighten that panel out where it would only need a very thin skimcoat of filler to fine tune it, then paint and blend it, and slap a new tail light on. I dont think it would cost more than 500 to fix really. Im sure the insurance estimates were to cut and install a repair panel which takes lots of time and labor.

frantik
10-12-2008, 10:21 PM
yeah it's not too bad and pico already hooked me up with a light so it's just the dent. sometime when im not broke im gonna get an estimate on just banging it out without paint hopefully i can get it close to how it was