PDA

View Full Version : Hate Brake Dust?

HondaBoy
06-22-2008, 02:17 PM
yeah, i bet you do. i do, and its something we just have to deal with when you have disk brakes which alomost every car has in on the front end unless you drive a car from the '60s with four wheel drums. all of my cars have 4 wheel disk brakes. well anyways, my subaru's front brakes dusted so bad that i could wash the car, drive it for a few minutes and they would have a bit of dust very fast. so i've changed them to ceramic pads. noticeably less dust with the ceramic pads, smoother stops, and less fade out when braking from high speeds. i've also changed the ones on my '02 accord with ceramic pads. brakes way better than it ever did with its original pads. it always had good brakes but now they are impressive for being an accord. anyways, you'll never get rid of the pads dusting on the wheels unless you use the dust shields you put behind the wheels, but nah, not for me. anyways. the dust they do produce is light in color so its not even noticeable. i'm impressed. the pads i used are ones i sell. Brake Best Select ceramic, they were cost effective and perform nicely. so i can definately recommend them.

2oodoor
06-22-2008, 02:28 PM
good info !

ghettogeddy
06-22-2008, 02:34 PM
ya thats why i hate that aem's are no longer made i get little to no brake dust on my rims and what is there isent really noticeable

bullard123
06-22-2008, 03:11 PM
How much are the front pads?

mushroom_toy
06-22-2008, 03:30 PM
My pro satisfied ceramic pads leave little to no dust at all and only cost $23 a set Front Or Rear. So $46 all around. Only time my wheels get dusty is if I push the car, and even then its no worse than average brakes do in a day of use.

paul
06-22-2008, 03:42 PM
My pro satisfied ceramic pads leave little to no dust at all and only cost $23 a set Front Or Rear. So $46 all around.

My brakes dust worse than a STi... definitely picking up a set of those, cheap too!

mushroom_toy
06-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Yeah I get mine at Slacks auto (local place), but im pretty sure you can get them at Napa, or a local store. The autozone or advance auto parts do not carry pro satisfied brakes around here.

mushroom_toy
06-22-2008, 04:10 PM
THis is what I buy btw guys.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/brakes/satisfied/ceramic_pads_sm.jpg
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Satisfied&model=Pro+Ceramic+Pads

paul
06-22-2008, 04:10 PM
tirerack has a good price on them too, and semi-local distribution centers...

AccordB20A
06-22-2008, 04:26 PM
cool that good info.

cause brake dust fucks alloy on your alloy wheels and thats bad

Dr_Snooz
06-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Good to know. Thanks for the info!

MessyHonda
06-22-2008, 09:55 PM
yup...the first week i bought my car i got AEM pads and EBC dimpled and slotted rotors. the light brake dust is worth it than the stock pads that turn all black and nasty.

HondaBoy
06-23-2008, 08:26 PM
pretty much anything with a nice sound reduction backing is what to look for. my brand is Brake Best Select, which is comparable with Wagner. i dunno, not the most expensive. customer cost would be $29.99 plus tax for the front, about the same for the rear, but of course i got them for less since i work there. just make sure its got the sound deadner backing, otherwise they will sometimes make that nice squeeking noise that we want to get away from.

knarg
06-23-2008, 08:54 PM
i have the akebono pads and they are a bit dusty though not too bad, it takes about 3 weeks to be noticable

HondaBoy
06-23-2008, 11:01 PM
the ones on my 3gee arent as bad as my '02 accord and 05' legacy were. but when i would have the 17s on my 3gee they would need a cleaning weekly. not so bad with my prelude 14's, but its because theres less spoke area on the 17's to catch the dust. so if can also depend on what style rim you have. like if it has smaller open spokes or more of a large face area like a stock wheel. i plan to get some nice ceramic pads for the 3gee. the ones i found were EBC brand but they are pretty expensive. unfortunately the ones i have in stock would be semi metallic for the front and organic in the rear i was going to replace them right now, but i can probably find them elsewhere in ceramic material.