PDA

View Full Version : does ac still work on b series intake manifold

mykwikcoupe
06-24-2008, 04:04 PM
so Im upgrading my car to OBD1 and installing a edelbrock victor x intake manifold. I see in the book that a lot of vacuum controls are on the A20a intake manifold that cannot be adapted to the b series intake. Will the ac still operate without the black box (efi not carbed) and without any of the intake sensors. Is there anyone who has a b series intake and kept the ac functional?

2oodoor
06-24-2008, 04:46 PM
I have to look into that for Honda, does the ecm support idle learn? usually OBD 1 and 2 will do that and keep the idle inside parameters determined from idle learn. This will compensate idle speed during ac cycling, alternator load, emmissions vaccum switching, any electrical loads like lights etc., tune changes.. blah blah blah.

2oodoor
06-24-2008, 04:48 PM
it's gotta have an IAC or throttle motor though, does the aftermarket intake use those?

mykwikcoupe
06-24-2008, 04:50 PM
I have to look into that for Honda, does the ecm support idle learn? usually OBD 1 and 2 will do that and keep the idle inside parameters determined from idle learn. This will compensate idle speed during ac cycling, alternator load, emmissions vaccum switching, any electrical loads like lights etc., tune changes.. blah blah blah.

ok man you do that. Im pretty mechanically inclined but you loast me there towards the end. If you check youll have to see if it changable in ecu tuning. Ill be using a P06 ECU from a newer OBD1 car but it will be chipped to change whatever is needed. Im wondering though if removing the vacuum components from the block and head will in some way effect the outer components of the accord. Oh and my car is an 89 coupe.

It looks like the black box only houses emissions and such and the map sensor that will be moved to the intake manifold itself.

2ndGenGuy
06-24-2008, 05:37 PM
I'd take a 95% bet on the fact that the A/C will work just fine. You might just lose the idle up at worst, but I bet you can make that work. When you do a Weber conversion on the carb'd models, you kill all the emissions controls and the A/C still works the same. And I doubt the A/C setup is different on the carb'd vs EFI models other than where the signal wire for the compressor clutch runs.

Not like the weather is going to crack 75 degrees this summer here anyways... :chainsaw:

mykwikcoupe
06-24-2008, 06:55 PM
yeah man I know what you mean. I work outside for a living and normally im nice and dark tanned like a beached whale. I didnt know the ac still worked on the weber conversion. does the cc still work.

Im not worried about the idle up anyways. the only time I ever use the ac is when Im on the freeway and the roadnoise is too loud.

mykwikcoupe
06-24-2008, 08:21 PM
it has a TPS and a IACV is that the same thing

2oodoor
06-25-2008, 04:00 AM
ok, If you are converting to obd 1 what year model is the ecu coming from? Gen 4 ecu, the ac switch does go thru the ecm and it has a delay, it also increases the rpm slightley to compensate. I really need to know your ecu origin to give you pinouts that involve ac operation and where they go.
Im still looking.

With the webers, the ac and cc works yes but it needs an idle solenoid to kick up the idle when ac is on. The 38 weber I picked up from cygnus probably wouldn't need it though, that thing has the smoothest unbelievable idle .

I may have jumped ahead of you, to repsond to the original post, yes it should work fine without the black box of junk. Thing is you will have to reroute a circuit or two, that I can help with.

-$MOKIN-
06-26-2008, 02:52 PM
If the ac mount and the belt pully line up it will work.

2ndGenGuy
06-26-2008, 03:32 PM
The cruise still works too. It's a fully independent system from everything else. All it needs is a VSS. It actuates the throttle cable by vacuum so that's just gotta have a vacuum can and manifold source. Honda did a pretty good job keeping everything modular so that if one system breaks it doesn't take out everything else in a chain reaction.

2oodoor
06-26-2008, 03:42 PM
he is using EFI

2oodoor
06-27-2008, 06:31 AM
89 Accord ECU does have the Air cond signals
pinout B4 comp clutcth relay
pinout B8- ac sig/ diode box