PDA

View Full Version : My first Honda... 89 Accord LX-i

Dodge Aries K
06-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Here's some pictures of the Accord I picked up a few weeks ago. Southern car it's whole life which means it has NO RUST. Bought it from some lady for $300. :thumbup: This is my first Honda (I was a Mopar man but I lost a lot of faith in Chrysler except for my 1st gen Neons) and is most definately not my last.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/teamaenoy/Honda%20Accord%20LXi/DSCF1297.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/teamaenoy/Honda%20Accord%20LXi/DSCF1301.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/teamaenoy/Honda%20Accord%20LXi/DSCF1298.jpg
Upgraded the front seats from an 88 LX-i coupe in the junkyard. Good use of $28 for the pair.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/teamaenoy/Honda%20Accord%20LXi/DSCF1300.jpg
233,479 miles.

The a/c works, headlight motors work fine, sunroof works good, and it drives decently. The only problem I have is sometimes it's hard to go into 1st or Reverse like the clutch isn't disengaging all the way but other times it doesn't have a problem. I'm guessing the clutch cable is bad?

Stock89LXi
06-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Welcome, Dodge Aries K! Ni-i-ice find! Great seats, too. Amazing that the AC still works after 200,000 miles. I was told that if you keep using it, it lubricates the innards of the AC and is less likely to fail. Being your in the South, the AC got used quite a bit. You even still have the pinstripes! WoW! Any plans for her?

fogged
06-26-2008, 09:32 AM
:welcome: First off that is a very nice base to start off with. Second stiff into reverse is the norm as I have found. Third do you have any mods in mind for the car?

frantik
06-26-2008, 09:56 AM
nice car :welcome:

ghettogeddy
06-26-2008, 10:05 AM
Welcome, Dodge Aries K! Ni-i-ice find! Great seats, too. Amazing that the AC still works after 200,000 miles. I was told that if you keep using it, it lubricates the innards of the AC and is less likely to fail. Being your in the South, the AC got used quite a bit. You even still have the pinstripes! WoW! Any plans for her?

well no ones 3g is cleaner then yours lol
but for 300 you got your self a killer deal
thats how much i paid for my first 3g
all it needed was a tire and a battery
then 400 for ny 2nd 3g
nothing for the parts car
and 500 for my hatch lol

Civic Accord Honda
06-26-2008, 10:44 AM
looks clean man!!
coupe/hatch seats pwn sedan seats :)

and shift in to 2nd gear before shifting to reverse

2oodoor
06-26-2008, 10:47 AM
:welcome:

Hash_man_Se_i
06-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your first honda, especially being a 3g, you won't regret it.

Slightly high miles, but not bad at all. Looks very similar to my car although mine is now in pieces lol. Be sure to keep us updated with any mods you may have planned, and hope she treats you well. White sedans FTW!

MessyHonda
06-26-2008, 05:48 PM
nice car

86ccord
06-26-2008, 05:51 PM
nice car.. and welcome! :welcome:

Dodge Aries K
06-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Wow, I appreciate all the nice comments.

As for the reverse, I do shift into 2nd first. Sometimes it grinds and is hard to get into reverse and other times it'll be fine. Dunno what's up with it but when it acts up I shut it off and put it into Reverse and start it up.

As for modifications, nothing too much. The pinstripe is in the need of replacement so I think I'll do that. I also repainted the wheel center caps because the paint was chipping off of them. I want to wax it and make it shine up nice. I don't know what is available for modifications to these cars yet so maybe in the future it will get some neat stuff. I'd LOVE to have a digital dash for it.

greentee76
06-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Nice car.....wanna sell it?
Mine had the issue with not wanting to go into first and reverse, since I changed the fluid over to Honda MTF it seems to be alot better.

Pico
06-26-2008, 07:30 PM
:welcome: to the addiction

Dodge Aries K
06-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Sell it? That's the main reason I originally bought it... but it was too nice for me to let go to some punk around here who would let it rot to death and rice it. :)

The car grew on me the more I drove it and I really would like to keep it nice since all the ones like it near here are rotted pretty bad.

However, I won't turn down offers but I'm gunna want a lot more than I paid for it. LOL

MessyHonda
06-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Sell it? That's the main reason I originally bought it... but it was too nice for me to let go to some punk around here who would let it rot to death and rice it. :)

The car grew on me the more I drove it and I really would like to keep it nice since all the ones like it near here are rotted pretty bad.

However, I won't turn down offers but I'm gunna want a lot more than I paid for it. LOL

cool...today i almost cried when i saw a black 3gee with a ricer wing...and some middle aged guy driving it...if it wasn't for the double yellow i would of done a U turn to follow him

Dodge Aries K
06-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Hmm... on that note... no, the Accord ain't for sale. :(

The ones here aren't riced, but are just well WELL worn examples.

MessyHonda
06-26-2008, 08:33 PM
yeah i saw another hatch driving down the street with no driver side fender...and it was beat down to hell

Demon1024
06-26-2008, 10:13 PM
:welcome:tothe best site for any problems/mods you ever have with that car man! you might try just adjusting the clutch cable first if you haven't yet

Dodge Aries K
06-26-2008, 11:08 PM
I did adjust the clutch cable. It's wierd, it does it at random. No clue why. Not terribly worried about it at the moment.

I did some searching around the site and it seems any sort of aftermarket support for this car's engine is pretty much nill. I hope people don't take offense to this, but what would be some simple inexpensive stuff that can be done to the car to get it to keep up with my 98 Neon? It's a 2.0 DOHC 5 speed car, but is also fully loaded like the Accord and is also stock. Since I've never dealt with one of these before, I'm completely clueless to what the engine takes to and doesn't like compared to the Neon.

Also, it rides bouncy so would new struts all the way around take care of that? The car seems to haul ass around corners pretty well which suprised the heck out of me.

markmdz89hatch
06-27-2008, 05:38 AM
pretty nice and clean. you'll soon abandon those neons for the 3G if you're a fan of a damn good suspension right out of the gate. ...unless of course you manage to find a ACR.

great base to either start from, or just drive as is. Do you have any plans for it?

Civic Accord Honda
06-27-2008, 09:30 AM
if u want more power here is some cheaper things u can do

Accel Super Stock coil or MSD blaster coil 2 there under $50
NGK plug wires $27 shipped on ebay
NGK V-Power plugs $2.09 each at autozone
Cold Air Intake around $40 on ebay
Pacesetters or DC (rare tho) header pacesetters are pretty cheap and can be found on ebay at times
2.25 Catback exhaust with a good muffler Monzo makes a cat back for the car but iv herd the muffler is shit on them

and if u want a smoother ride should replace the shocks with some tokicos and replace all the bushings and check for any play in the ball joints

Dodge Aries K
06-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Abandon my Neons? Never. They're like my children. I also have the most important part (to me) from the ACR installed on two of my cars, the rear sway bar assembly. I need to find one more since my 99 ATX car doesn't need to handle all that great since my wife drives it to and from work.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/teamaenoy/NEON%20FLEET/DSCF1238.jpg
My army of Neons.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/teamaenoy/Honda%20Accord%20LXi/DSCF1296.jpg
Reinstalled the center caps today... I think they came out decent. The factory paint was all flaking off and looking bad. Sanded them down and shot like... 6 coats of paint on them. I'm terrible at painting but I think they look good.

Civic Accord Honda
06-27-2008, 10:21 AM
get some black paint and color in the H's on the center caps :)

greentee76
06-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Yeah I was mostly kidding about the for sale thing,mostly. I am just on the look out for good 3gees up this way. As you might have noticed they are in pretty short supply up this way( the ones in decent condition anyway.)
Just need something else to drive while I rebuild the engine in mine.

Dodge Aries K
06-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Well, I just took my 98 Neon out after driving exclusively the Accord for the past week and a half...

The Neon felt like a ROCKET. :( It's a completely stock 5 speed DOHC car and it would have whooped the Accord no problem.

So this leads to a dilemma... what are some easy cheap tricks to make the Accord wake up? I figure some distributor advance would help along with the stuff listed above... but I'm talking about the insanely cheap (free) stuff that can do wonders.

ghettogeddy
06-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Well, I just took my 98 Neon out after driving exclusively the Accord for the past week and a half...

The Neon felt like a ROCKET. :( It's a completely stock 5 speed DOHC car and it would have whooped the Accord no problem.

So this leads to a dilemma... what are some easy cheap tricks to make the Accord wake up? I figure some distributor advance would help along with the stuff listed above... but I'm talking about the insanely cheap (free) stuff that can do wonders.

next to none
the neon might fell like a rocket but i know it handles like a rock lol ive driven a 95 neon and a 98 sport both felt sluggish for the most part

Dodge Aries K
06-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Nah, they handle excellent. I have no complaints about my Neons at all except they are a bit small for four people, as that's what the Accord is for.

Anyway, since I didn't really see any straightforward things, any cheap/free stuff I can do to help my Accord go a bit better?

ghettogeddy
06-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Nah, they handle excellent. I have no complaints about my Neons at all except they are a bit small for four people, as that's what the Accord is for.

Anyway, since I didn't really see any straightforward things, any cheap/free stuff I can do to help my Accord go a bit better?

if you dont have smog checks you can do a vacume line removal
cai or short ram
exhust
cam
adj cam gear
teg gear swap
pacesetter header

gfrg88
06-28-2008, 01:02 AM
also dont forget a b series intake mani.. id say b16. but yeah, geddy got most of the ones that would be great for you ...

Dodge Aries K
06-29-2008, 09:37 PM
All right. I appreciate the information. Thanks! I'll update this once I get funds to do anything. First up on my list of stuff to do is the timing belt on my 94 Neon. It's due and if it breaks then valves get to meet pistons in a very unfriendly way... and I need to use the car very soon so it gets first priority on the little money I can spend on the cars.

markmdz89hatch
06-30-2008, 06:31 AM
yeah those damn timing belts are a necessary evil.

As for quick mods, that B16 or B18 intake manny's are a dime-a-dozen on ebay and craigslist now, so that's a great place to start. Although free is not really an easy thing on these, very cheap is.

If you need a new exhaust, keep your pennies, and go visit a local exhaust shop and pay someone $120 to custom bend some 2.25" from the cat-back, and it'll way the hell out of it on the highway.

As for quickness, upgrade (or just replace with OEM replacements) the struts/springs. The car is old, and the struts/springs are tired. You lose so much quick response from the car when the suspension lurches and absorbs all of the power.

Dodge Aries K
06-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Not to mention the very VERY shot motor mounts... which I think are original.

It'll take some time, but it'll eventually be back to the way it should be.

Now, what's a B16 or B18? I'm gunna take a guess at a 90-93 Accord or same era Civic engine? There's a lot of those in the local yard and I think I can score an intake manifold for pretty cheap.

Dodge Aries K
07-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Money around these parts got really tight... unfortunately I gotta sell the Accord. :(

Someday when I have money again I'm definately buying another Honda. Ol' Mopar doesn't make anything these days I'd want to buy. :(