PDA

View Full Version : Checking Coolant Level in Reservoir

nfs480
06-27-2008, 12:04 PM
I can't seem to get a good look at the coolant level in my reservoir so I have no idea how much is in there. I know the radiator is full to the neck I just can't see into the reservoir on the left. How do you guys check the level?

Civic Accord Honda
06-27-2008, 12:07 PM
lol actually iv never really checked that i just keep the radiator topped off lol

w261w261
06-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Here's your problem: the schmutz in the coolant over the years has coated the inside of the coolant reservoir, making it non-translucent. Honda did make it hard to check the level under the best of circumstances, by putting the bottle waaaay down there, where it's hard to eyeball. Checking the level in the radiator only is not a good thing to do, as you may have no reserve that way.

Here's what you can do: Immediately, you can shine a flashlight down on the bottle, and bounce the car some. You may be able to see the coolant level in the bottle, if the bottle is not too messed up. You should, btw, always use the bright green coolant, not the yellow stuff, because the yellow stuff will make it very difficult to check under the best of circumstances.

If the bottle is totally clouded, you can take off the hose that goes from the radiator cap to the bottle by unscrewing the bigger cap from the top of the bottle, and then using something as a dipstick to check the bottle level. Of course, put the hose back on when you're done.

This is the final solution: Disconnect and remove the battery (always take off the ground wire first and put it back on last). Remove the battery tray (easy). Then remove the bottle and either replace it with a new one (not really necessary) or clean it out. To do this you'll need something with phosphoric acid in it (pool tile cleaner, "The Must For Rust,"-available at K-Mart, or any product that promises to get rid of rust stains...milkstone remover is another one. Slosh the stuff around, let it sit for awhile, then finish out the nooks and crannies with a baby bottle brush until it looks like new. Replace, refill about halfway with the green coolant, bleed the system with the bleed screw by the thermostat just to be sure you haven't introduced any air into the system, and you're good to go!

MessyHonda
06-27-2008, 01:31 PM
what i did one was just dipped like a plastic stick down till it hits the bottom and then pull it out...just like a dip stick but for the coolant

nfs480
06-27-2008, 02:26 PM
Yeah, that's exactly it. The bottle is really cloudy and I can't see a thing. I have the green coolant in there I just want to know I have enough. As soon as this thunderstorm ends i'll try opening the bottle up like you suggested, w261w261.

russiankid
06-27-2008, 02:41 PM
If you can take it out and clean it out. Mine was cleaned out before so I just use a flash light and shake the car a bit and I can see the level.

nfs480
06-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I think I will do that because it does sound like a good idea anyway.

w261w261
06-27-2008, 07:35 PM
nfs480, I should add that if you change your own oil, that the bottle is very visible from under the car. Changing the oil/filter is easy, just get a pair of those ramps and drive the front wheels up on them. This will give you plenty of room to crawl under. As a bonus, you can do things like check the coolant level, check the drive boots, and so forth. You can also choose your brand of oil, and use a good filter, compared to the drecky Fram or worse that the oil change places might stick you with.

w261w261
06-27-2008, 07:40 PM
More on the coolant level.....what will happen when the coolant bottle empties is that air will get introduced into the system. A warning of low coolant will usually come with the idle stabilizer valve being fooled, and the idle getting weird as a result. If this happens, check the coolant immediately. The penalty for big overheating is a warped head.

nfs480
06-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the tips, and yes I do my own oil. Never did look over in that area but i'll put it up on the ramps tomorrow and check it out. I've always used Valvoline oil with the Purolator Pure-One filters.