PDA

View Full Version : Idle Issue After Rebuild & Other ?'s

chadew
06-28-2008, 06:36 AM
I rebuilt the motor in an 89 lxi. When I got it back in the car it started and ran fine. after it worms up and you touch the throttle ts idles down real low and dies. It will start right back up. I found that I had left a vacuum hose off and had another one hooked up wrong and that helped the problem, but it still does it. I am getting ready to check the compresion and try to look at the timing again. would the timing cause this?

The other question is what does this plug go to?
http://ksons.5u.com/Chad/89%20Accord/DSC06852small.jpg

http://ksons.5u.com/Chad/89%20Accord/DSC06853small.jpg

chadew
06-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Well I just tried timing it. I can only get 10.5^. Isn't it suposed to be at 13-17^? It seems that it need to rotate the top of the distributer back towards the rear of the car, but it can't go that direction anymore. Does that mean my timing belt is off a tooth? Could that have messed up the motor?

carotman
06-29-2008, 04:16 PM
I asked the same question here about 5 years ago for the plug and still haven't found an answer. It doesn't go anywhere. lol.

chadew
06-29-2008, 06:18 PM
lol
Well I unplugged it from somewhere. I didn't figure it was real important, but I didn't know if it might be causing some of my idle problems.

chadew
06-30-2008, 06:44 AM
bump

cygnus x-1
06-30-2008, 07:12 AM
Well I just tried timing it. I can only get 10.5^. Isn't it suposed to be at 13-17^? It seems that it need to rotate the top of the distributer back towards the rear of the car, but it can't go that direction anymore. Does that mean my timing belt is off a tooth? Could that have messed up the motor?

If that's as far as you can go with the distributor then yeah, sounds like the timing belt is off. Seems to be a common problem. And no, it won't damage the engine.

C|

chadew
06-30-2008, 07:33 AM
Thanks! That is what I needed to know. Know what way do I rotate the cam when I get the belt off?

Demon1024
06-30-2008, 07:41 AM
counter clockwise.
and since i'm here and i've never seen that plug on mine i'm going to take some wild stabs at it.
Backup switch. mine doesn't have a plug so i don't know what it looks like
one of the sensors on the thermostat housing. known to go brittle and be replaced.
If everything is hooked up you can find try tracing the wire. use a ohmeter and test to the engine harness connector and around the black box. good luck getting your timing right

Oldblueaccord
06-30-2008, 01:27 PM
I think that plug is the reverse lights switch from the look of that bracket.

wp

moonjaw2002
07-06-2008, 06:28 AM
Look at the throttle angle sensor on the throttle body.The plug is under the throttle body and hard to see.That could explain why it dies when you accelarate.Your engine should be set at 10 or 15 degree for the timing.Mark

chadew
07-07-2008, 05:53 AM
Well I adjusted the timing belt and was able to set the timing. It didn't really seem to help much, so I adjusted the idle up some. It seems to do OK now, but it idle just a bit fast. I will see is I can find the plug for the throttle sensor so that i might be able to turn the idle down a bit. Thanks for all the help so far.

mykwikcoupe
04-26-2009, 04:03 PM
I rebuilt the motor in an 89 lxi. When I got it back in the car it started and ran fine. after it worms up and you touch the throttle ts idles down real low and dies. It will start right back up. I found that I had left a vacuum hose off and had another one hooked up wrong and that helped the problem, but it still does it. I am getting ready to check the compresion and try to look at the timing again. would the timing cause this?

The other question is what does this plug go to?
http://ksons.5u.com/Chad/89%20Accord/DSC06852small.jpg

http://ksons.5u.com/Chad/89%20Accord/DSC06853small.jpg

looks like the plug that goes to the power steering head for the speed sensor. I think I said that correctly. It plugs in by the speedo cable