PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Mesh Grill

MyGarbageLXi
09-22-2002, 07:03 PM
hey kids, any one do this??? i know there was a thread about this somewehre but i cant find it..how do go about doin this?? wat are the materals used and how do i cut and bend it so i doesnt look elike a ghetto sloppy job???? help anyone?

MyGarbageLXi
09-22-2002, 07:08 PM
Hey Micah i know u did, howd u do it and watd u use??!?!?!!

Chubs87Accord
09-22-2002, 07:44 PM
k dude... its gutter gaurd, lol... in home depot shovel on down to the gutter section and look for gutter gaurds that stop leaves from gettin in... and some glue if you want but be careful.. i used krazy glue cause it dries instantly so i can make sure it will stay the way im holind it to dry... and im not sure but i think i cut an initial piece (for the front grille) that was about 1"x29" then i cut off whatever else had to be... an inch is a lil too big... basically you want 3 and a half circles goin up and down ..like...

u
. 0
. 0
. 0

basically thats it... for the part on the bumper... i havent gotten around to do that yet... i think imma be doin it tomorrow, should be too hard

staticpat
09-22-2002, 07:45 PM
go to lowes or any hardware store and buy some gutter guard (keep leaves out of gutters). then just get some wire cutters, clip to to size and put it in. different ppl do different things to attach it, i just screwed it straight to the center plastic pieces.

Chubs87Accord
09-22-2002, 07:46 PM
oh yeah... and its a pain to cut if you dont use the right scissors.. if you have tin snips then cut away... but i had to use kitchen shears and ended up slicing my nuckles like at least 20 times (very small cuts.. ony one was big enough to bleed and it was very little blood

Chubs87Accord
09-22-2002, 07:47 PM
but basically thats it... you can paint it too.. as for me im gonna take mine out and paint it red.. my cars gonna be black so i think the red grilled would look really sweet

Chubs87Accord
09-22-2002, 07:48 PM
screws are good.. but i like the glue... you cant see the glue if your careful

Micah 89LXi
09-22-2002, 08:14 PM
I basically cut a slit in the bottom with a dremmel then i cut the mesh to shap lightly longer on the bottom and i slid it into the bottom and held it in place then i screwed it into the plastic cross pieces that go across the middle ....on the bottom cut i cut all the way across then slightly up the side so the mesh would fit in without bowing

u can sorta see where i screwed it in ..basically to size it i kept cutting it large untill i got it the right size..measuring helps..but it didnt..hehhttp://www.angelfire.com/ut/SSGoku/frontgrilleshot1.jpg (http://www.angelfire.com/ut/SSGoku/frontgrilleshot.jpg)

for the top part..i just cut it to size and i fastened it in there with twist ties to the only parts u can fasten anything to then i burned off the paper..its a little warped where it fastens in 3 places..but there was no way else to do it..only up close u can see..straight in front of it u cant tell..and mine didnt turn out too bad..u can get black gutter guard or silver or paint it or they sell white stuff too..i used the metal stuff i would suggest using the metal just so it wont bust if a rock hits it or something..plus it doesnt rust and it easy to clean

hope i helped,

Micah

Micah 89LXi
09-22-2002, 08:31 PM
stupid angelfire...they are my images but it wont let me link to them...oh well that last link doesnt work this one does

better explanation here (http://www.angelfire.com/ut/SSGoku/grille.html)

staticpat
09-22-2002, 08:49 PM
o also garden shears were very handy at cutting the stuff now that i think about it.

2Fast_Fiero
09-22-2002, 09:19 PM
Pull the bumper off, make a bigger sheet, and where that plastic crap is, pull that shit off, and mount it behind everything, I like the grill tho.

MyGarbageLXi
09-23-2002, 03:43 PM
ok thanks for all the input fellas jsut one question..micah how did u cut a slit in the bumper?? did it get gheetto?? and did u ahve to take it off to do it?? Also I wanna Pop those little Black Cover out and Put Mesh in there (Micah:wehreu have ur fogs) anyone do that?? how do i get those things out?? one already out i lsot it so i figure ill take the otehr out too

Mike's89AccordLX
09-23-2002, 03:49 PM
I used galvonized steel, and used a garden shears to cut it. It looks just like the profesional job.

Flyguy125
09-23-2002, 03:58 PM
I have a question for you guys that made grills. How did u take out the plastic pieces from the bumper?

Mantis88LX
09-23-2002, 04:05 PM
use a small electric saw and carfuly cut it out

Mike's89AccordLX
09-23-2002, 04:09 PM
I was lazy and left them in, it would look better if you took the time to take them out though. Although mine isn't that bad for spending only $4 for the entire thing and I had enough metal to do 4 other cars. This metal supply store sells that metal for $4 for a 8'x4' sheet.

staticpat
09-23-2002, 04:58 PM
i left mine in too, and i like the way it looks. its probably the most noticeable mod i have too.

Micah 89LXi
09-23-2002, 10:52 PM
i used a dremel man and i just followed the line of the bumper..where the black starts...no i didnt take it off..u should be able to just pull those things off pry em with a screw driver it wont hurt em as for mounting i would have to say make em like an inch to a 1/2 an inch bigger than the hole and glue them in place..i might do that if i ever decide to get different fogs..one of the guys on the forum put mesh in those holes..and it looks good

custom88
09-24-2002, 08:02 AM
Or if you want to save your self a bunch of time and agony you can go to ebay and buy a pre made grille for a sedan for 18.00 shipped, thats what i just did.

Mantis88LX
09-24-2002, 08:26 AM
do u have any pics of it?

custom88
09-24-2002, 08:40 AM
I just bought it this weekend but if you want to see it just go here on ebay and there is a pic.Just go to ebay motors and type in 86-89 accord and it will come up.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1862752263

staticpat
09-24-2002, 03:06 PM
man im gonna start cutting some gutter guard and selling it on ebay.

MyGarbageLXi
09-24-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Micah 89LXi
i used a dremel man and i just followed the line of the bumper..where the black starts...no i didnt take it off..u should be able to just pull those things off pry em with a screw driver it wont hurt em as for mounting i would have to say make em like an inch to a 1/2 an inch bigger than the hole and glue them in place..i might do that if i ever decide to get different fogs..one of the guys on the forum put mesh in those holes..and it looks good
yea i know someone did taht ,tahs wat gave me the idea it looks dope,
and custom88 yeah olike StaticPat sed , polyl jsut some guy thats doin wat we'er doin our selves, and selling it for a profit..not a bad idea...hmmmmmmmmmmmm

custom88
09-25-2002, 06:22 PM
I could have done it myself and posibly fucked it up, and I felt like being lazy and had the cash to throw to pick one up. So I said what the hell and bought it.

GreenMachine
09-25-2002, 08:47 PM
You can also cut the plastic of with a new razor blade. Thats what I used, haven't actually put put mesh in yet though...didn't know where to find it. Gutter gaurd ..hmmm... sweet

MyGarbageLXi
09-26-2002, 05:27 PM
gutter gaurd is dope, but how do u custom fit it??? wat tools i need, and am just gunna bend it in there after i cut and pray its stays??

Mantis88LX
09-26-2002, 05:57 PM
super glue it in :D

Chubs87Accord
09-27-2002, 12:39 AM
super glue baby!!!!!!!!!!! lol all about the super glue:stupid:

1989se-i
09-27-2002, 07:42 PM
I made mesh grills to cover up my foglight thing... i glued them in, and they look OK.
I tried to put one on the main hole thingy... but i couldnt get it to fit. :(

Chevman17
09-27-2002, 08:30 PM
:cool: Yo, let me just say that the guter gaurd idea is fucking awesome. I took off the plastic shit right under the hood pop. I left the black metal frame there to screw the mesh into. it worked great. (i was surprised that something actually went smooth and fast for once) Now im gonna do the bottom. U all say glue it. good idea, but what kind of glue. im gonna try the super glue....fuck it. my mesh is cut so ill try it. Oh eya nd definately mesh covering my floodlights. Ill try to get a pic of the finished product.

- 1989 Accord LX-i sedan. White.
Flowmaster exhaust (looks ghetto)
Custom restored rims
Carbon fiber shift knob
Blue lights wherever possible
Clear bumber lights
Custom 3.5 inch short ram intake w/mass flow filter
2,12 inch Pioneer subs

Chubs87Accord
09-27-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
I was lazy and left them in, it would look better if you took the time to take them out though. Although mine isn't that bad for spending only $4 for the entire thing and I had enough metal to do 4 other cars. This metal supply store sells that metal for $4 for a 8'x4' sheet.

a 4 foot by 8 foot piece?!?! dude... i could use a nice big piece ike that.. but couldnt find any anywhere at all... wanna bu a big piece like hat and ship it to me? ill gladly pay for it cause im goin something where ill need a really big piece... and i don wan to glue 2 pieces together - gluing together = ghetto

89lxi95zx7
09-28-2002, 09:51 AM
the gutter guard comes in 5 piece pkgs. i just bought it at home depot for like 7bucks. i painted it white, will install this weekend. one sheet is perfect for main bumper hole.I have four more pieces to play with,fog light holes,and right under honda logo in that long skinny hole.i'm sure it will look sweet.

89lxi95zx7
09-28-2002, 09:52 AM
oh ya, the pieces are 36"x6"

BMS
01-08-2003, 09:16 PM
I really wanna get some fogs for my car. If I put them under the gutter guard, will they shine through all right?

Chubs87Accord
01-08-2003, 10:14 PM
yeah, and will also give a weird
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
effect when shined on a wall i suppose :D

BDaccordguy
04-03-2003, 07:28 PM
alright, i bought that off ebay (yes im lazy) and the guy told me it only fit on 86-87models...now custom88, since u bought it too, i am wondering if it fit on your 88

HondaBoy
04-05-2003, 11:55 PM
yeah, well i did mine a while back. that mesh stuff u can find at Home Depot or a different hardware store was called stucko mesh. i got a big ass sheet for like $2!!! that grille looks pretty cool that i made. ive found many more uses for the mesh stuff since then. i made this light cover for my garage door light.

Veedubya
04-09-2003, 08:12 AM
Does anybody have the measurements for the hole under front bumper?

3rd gen 89 se-i
08-05-2003, 12:40 PM
can any body post the measurements for the grills for the 89 accord.

MrBen
08-05-2003, 12:45 PM
I just used mesh metal screen. I took off the grille, Unscrewed EVERY screw on it, and set the screen between the chrome front and the black housing behind it. I cut out holes for the screws in the screen, and put it all back together. Looks nice.

BITESIZE
08-05-2003, 12:54 PM
I did it to mine too. Check out my cardomain site.

killerhonda
08-27-2003, 12:12 AM
screw the gutter guard in with little screws and washers

3G Jester
08-27-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by 3rd gen 89 se-i
can any body post the measurements for the grills for the 89 accord.

go out and look at your own damn car ya lazy bastad! :tongue:

89accord_lxi_coupe
08-27-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by 3g Jester
go out and look at your own damn car ya lazy bastad! :tongue:

hahahahahhahaha:lol i agree with jester. that's what i did, though i haven't gotten around to doing it. it only takes a few minutes. so stand up, get a tape measure, and go outside. Look at your car, then take the measurements.:stick: