PDA

View Full Version : EGR valve problems

HondaBoy
06-30-2008, 01:40 PM
well not in the 3gee since its not needed any more with the mods i have. but i thought this is the best place for this. its for a '97 plymouth neon 2.0 SOHC. came up with an exhaust recircutaltion code.

here's the symtoms i've observed. hard starting, has to be cranked, let off, cranked over again then starts but runs shitty until at idle. now has a bit of a rough idle. another thing, exhaust smells like rotten eggs, gets horrible fuel milege and at freeway speeds it shudders now and then. lower speeds its ok, but just not right. another thing, it will have pinging/detonation when using 87 octane, but not with slower buring 93 octane. but all this now leads me to believe its needing a new EGR valve, especially with the exhaust recircutation problem code comming up. does this sound right? does to me and now makes sense. LMK what yall think. its my mom's pos neon so i'm trying to help her out there.

she should have traded it in for a honda like i told here a long time ago! lets just say this isnt the only problem its having, but this is a problem with these high fuel prices.

Oldblueaccord
06-30-2008, 01:51 PM
The bad fuel mileage and rotten egg smell I'm not so sure the EGR would have alot to do with that. I'm not really up on OBD II really.I have my EGR on the Honda with the pipes blocked and it never hurt it either way except a little pinging maybe.

Now if its running rich because of the code well heh thats not very surprising on a big 3 car.

My wifes 99 astro has the rear O2 sensor out of spec code but it runs idles well and the fule mileage is the same.

Does it have alotta blow by ?

wp

jellydoughnutt
07-02-2008, 10:32 AM
your catalytic converter is gone, get it replaced as soon as possible

DBMaster
07-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Well, Mr. Doughnut has it more or less right. Rotten egg smell is Sulfur Dioxide so it does indicate a problem in the cat. It could be something further upstream, though, causing a poor air/fuel mixture which is saturating the converter. It does not necessarily mean you need to replace it as it could be something else entirely. I think the EGR Valve is stuck open which relates to your idle and starting problems. You might get away with cleaning the valve. If you get that working or replace it run a can of Berryman's Chem Tool in a full tank of gas and see if that cleans the cat ond gets rid of the rotten egg smell. It's not an unusual problem for Chryslers, by the way.

Oldblueaccord
07-02-2008, 07:04 PM
try www.allpar.com as well.

wp

greentee76
07-02-2008, 07:11 PM
I've been studying up a little to try and help out a friend with a neon. The best site I have found so far is:http://www.neons.org
Hope this helps. Good luck with it.

HondaBoy
07-04-2008, 01:16 PM
well i made that little POS neon run pretty good. i really hate working on mitsubishi made engines for some reason. the egr valve was not in the most convenient of spots. but i did get it done. also cleaned out the throttal body. once i had it pieced back together, it ran like crap at first but smoothed out once it burned out the crud that was cleaned out of the egr tube and tb. it used to take 2-3 trys to get the engine started. now it starts right up and doesnt have the horrible rotten egg smell from the exhaust. so for about 3 years this was the problem. so i took the liberty to get it diagnosed and fixed. otherwise my mom would have just let it go. anyways, made her happy and now the car runs just fine. wont catch me driving it though.