PDA

View Full Version : B20A compatible flywheels

rjudgey
07-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Has anyone got a definative guide to what can fit and which clutch kit to use? I'm in need of a ally flywheel with a clutchnet clutch kit to be fitted, i know the B20A5 one can be made to fit but i don't want to have to machine the bellhousing, i don't mind having to mod the flywheel maybe but would really like a direct bolt on answer.

Does a B18A one fit and am i right in saying that an A20 clutch kit will fit it as well? What about a flywheel from a 2G accord or 2G prelude Carb 1.8l they have same clutch kit as early 1st gen teggy and JDM Civic and CRX D16 DOHC. The gearbox is a B20A one not a B18 hybrid i think the Euro spec box's are the same as the JDM ones they certainly aren't like B18 ones as they have half shaft and no black removeable plate on the end.

thanks Rich.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
07-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Wesku’s from preludepower his flywheel look like it from a20a here a pic and link

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/483190/3

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/3/web/483000-483999/483190_65_full.jpg

rjudgey
07-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Trouble is i don't have an A20 flywheel to compare it with only B20A and ET from carbed lude although i suppose if it were the same starter gear and it physically fits it should be an issue, and i can use a clutchnet kit for a carbed lude which i know is still good for well over 200bhp as tested in my ET1 2nd gen. I suppose if it were the same i could just get a clutchnet flywheel for ET or A20 anyone happen to have a A20 flywheel and B20 one to compare???

RobT5580
07-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Im using a B20A5 Fidanza flywheel at the moment but i might try my stock one next time around for the weight.

AccordB20A
07-03-2008, 05:03 PM
i have had a lot of different flywheels on my b20a. when i got my 1st manual b20a i used a B18A flywheel and clutch. This is basically an flat flywheel and the same splines as the a20a gearbox cause thats what the b18 gearbox has. Then that clutch kind of sucked so i got the recessed flywheel from a a20a2 and used that with the stock a20a clutch disk and pressure plate worked fine. THIS WAS USING THE B18 GEARBOX. dunno about using the a series flywheels on the b2k5 and f2k5 boxes tho. i think using the a series pressure plate and flywheel with the b20 disk that fits the gearbox.. i think i had a problem with the starter motor not engaging onto the flywheel. can someone confirm this....

AccordB20A
07-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Wesku’s from preludepower his flywheel look like it from a20a here a pic and link

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/483190/3

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/3/web/483000-483999/483190_65_full.jpg

that type of flywheel comes stock on the gold top b20 engines. later blacktop accord b20a engines use flat flywheels.

But the A20A2 flywheel i got ( from a 1986 accord) looked exactly like that. I really Should Colmpare them but currently i do not have any B20A recessed flywheels floating about, Only the A series one, But i do know that the A20A and B20A recessed flywheels do share the same disk size and pressure plate. Someone should confirm if the starter ring gears are the same

RobT5580
07-04-2008, 06:28 AM
I had a slight starter binding issue but i swapped gear heads on my starter and it fixed it. However the new gear head only had one bolt hole match up but i have put a few thousand miles on it with no issues. I have to look through my parts and find one that bolts up on both sides.

The issue with the starters is one has a father throw when it engauges. So the grinding comes from a short throw that only ingauges part of the way on the flywheel. And i think i used a JDM B20A starter head with a USDM A20 starter.

bullard123
07-04-2008, 07:17 AM
I had a slight starter binding issue but i swapped gear heads on my starter and it fixed it. However the new gear head only had one bolt hole match up but i have put a few thousand miles on it with no issues. I have to look through my parts and find one that bolts up on both sides.

The issue with the starters is one has a father throw when it engauges. So the grinding comes from a short throw that only ingauges part of the way on the flywheel. And i think i used a JDM B20A starter head with a USDM A20 starter.

Yeah I'm gonna have to do this too. I hear a lot of grinding when I start mines up but it stops when I push the clutch in. It only makes the noiise when I'm idling. When I drive it stops. Is the Jdm B20A starter compatible with any U.S starters?

rjudgey
07-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Right then after taking my Flywheel down to my workshop, the B20A one has a bigger ring gear than a A18A/ET from 1.8 carbed lude, so looks like i'll have to use the stock B20A one and have it lightened quite a bit can come off so it should help a little, thing that i'm struggling with is clutch, now the A20 plate may fit but as you rightly pointed out the spindle on the disk is smaller, so does anyone know if a B20A5 disk would fit or something else thats the same, obviously needs to be same 212mm disk size thickness of the disk is pretty generic and if i can use a Clutchnet Red pressure plate for an A20 and then a disk from B20A5 then that would be perfect. What do you guy's reckon?? The clutch has to be mega beefy is going to be handling upto 400bhp.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
07-06-2008, 02:27 PM
I used the B20a5 flywheel i had the machine shop remove 0.030 from the back side of the flywheel by doing that there was no need to grind out the trany and the starter does not grind.Here is a pic to show you where i had the 0.030 removed from the flywheel.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n80/TwoLoudNproud/flywheel.jpg

rjudgey
07-08-2008, 01:52 AM
Thanks was that a stock B20A5 flywheel you modded or a aftermarket ally one?? I take it you used a B20A5 clutch kit then so the B20A5 clutch disk uses the same spline size as the B20A box whats the diameter of the Disk 212mm as well??

Thanks Rich.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
07-08-2008, 06:29 AM
Thanks was that a stock B20A5 flywheel you modded or a aftermarket ally one?? I take it you used a B20A5 clutch kit then so the B20A5 clutch disk uses the same spline size as the B20A box whats the diameter of the Disk 212mm as well??

Thanks Rich.
The pic of the flywheel i used as a example of where i had the work done to my B20a5 flywheel and yes i used the stage 3 six puck clutch disk and the spline is the as the 2nd gen B20a.