PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to remove the fuel rail to get to the PCV valve?

Brently
07-02-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm stumped because it seems like it so much stuff in the way to get it out. Plus I can't get my hand under the intake. (87 lXi hatch). Trying to get stuff done so I can drive it down to see Forrest on Saturday.

forrest89sei
07-02-2008, 09:52 PM
I'm stumped because it seems like it so much stuff in the way to get it out. Plus I can't get my hand under the intake. (87 lXi hatch). Trying to get stuff done so I can drive it down to see Forrest on Saturday.

It should be as pictured

http://www.3geez.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23

just take like a cloth and some pliers and pull
it will come out pretty easy, then put the hose on the new valve and press back into the intake

A18A
07-02-2008, 09:56 PM
if you have a plastic one, i wouldnt bother removing the hose from the valve end but intead remove the whole hose with it, unless you plan on replacing it. cause the plastic ones like breaking. either that, or i've always had bad luck with them

Brently
07-03-2008, 06:35 AM
Thanks. I'll stop being a wussy and pull it

russiankid
07-03-2008, 09:47 AM
if you have a plastic one, i wouldnt bother removing the hose from the valve end but intead remove the whole hose with it, unless you plan on replacing it. cause the plastic ones like breaking. either that, or i've always had bad luck with them

You just need to be careful with them. Not sure how it is on the fuel injected ones, but on the carb'd engines the base is plastic. So yanking on it hard will crack the plastic base. I find pulling and twisting it slightly side to side helps.

Brently
07-05-2008, 04:32 AM
Had to remove the fuel rail because I didn't want to rip anything. Placed vice grips on the valve and worked it for 5 mins - twisting and pulling.

A18A
07-05-2008, 04:40 AM
You just need to be careful with them. Not sure how it is on the fuel injected ones, but on the carb'd engines the base is plastic. So yanking on it hard will crack the plastic base. I find pulling and twisting it slightly side to side helps.

Had to remove the fuel rail because I didn't want to rip anything. Placed vice grips on the valve and worked it for 5 mins - twisting and pulling.ah yeah patience is the key