PDA

View Full Version : Header build help!!

88accordA20A1
07-03-2008, 05:37 AM
Ok so i started putting on my header yesterday and have already run into a few problems. first problem mainly being that they're Pace Setter, but we'll leave that alone. anyway, on the stock manifold the EGR and preheater coupling plugs were practically one with the manifold after what i'm sure has been twenty years of abuse. long story short i had to cut those steel rails because that was pretty much the only way i was removing that manifold. my question is how does plugging the EGR and preheater really affect the carbed motor and if they're required, would rubber hosing be able to take the heat?

second question i'm just gonna throw in... i have an obnoxious stutter anywhere above 3000rpm or 35mph and a lot of hesitation in between. fuel pump? filters, plugs, wires, dizzy cap were just changed and i run 89 in it.

gfrg88
07-03-2008, 04:37 PM
if i rememember correctly, removing the egr doesnt really do much, but does throw a CEL... the heater thing, youll need for when its cold out cause youre carbed. if not i think it wont run that great until its fully warmed or something like that... to plug egr use the manual tranny fill botl, it fits perfectly.

ghettogeddy
07-03-2008, 05:48 PM
if i rememember correctly, removing the egr doesnt really do much, but does throw a CEL... the heater thing, youll need for when its cold out cause youre carbed. if not i think it wont run that great until its fully warmed or something like that... to plug egr use the manual tranny fill botl, it fits perfectly.

hes carbed that equals no cpu lol but if i were you i would try to use everything try not to cut and if you do get another one just for a sake of being done 100% and not half assed lol

cygnus x-1
07-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Ok so i started putting on my header yesterday and have already run into a few problems. first problem mainly being that they're Pace Setter, but we'll leave that alone. anyway, on the stock manifold the EGR and preheater coupling plugs were practically one with the manifold after what i'm sure has been twenty years of abuse. long story short i had to cut those steel rails because that was pretty much the only way i was removing that manifold. my question is how does plugging the EGR and preheater really affect the carbed motor and if they're required, would rubber hosing be able to take the heat?

second question i'm just gonna throw in... i have an obnoxious stutter anywhere above 3000rpm or 35mph and a lot of hesitation in between. fuel pump? filters, plugs, wires, dizzy cap were just changed and i run 89 in it.

I assume you are talking about the two tubes that connect to the side of the exhaust manifold. One of those is for EGR, but the other goes to the air suction valve, not the preheater. The preheater tube goes from the shell surrounding the exhaust manifold to the air intake box, before the air filter. The preheater just helps the engine warmup faster by providing heated air to the carb. It won't help the car start any better. The tube for this is not bolted to the exhaust manifold, but the shell is. Anyway, unless you live in Canada or Alaska it's probably not worth keeping*.

The air suction valve lets fresh air into the exhaust stream to help complete the combustion of any unburnt hydrocarbons, and provide extra oxygen to help the catalytic converter do its job. The engine will run quite happily without this*, but you will need to plug the hole in the new header. If you can get the tubes out of the old manifold you can fold the stubs over and use them as plugs.

The EGR valve lets exhaust gas back into the intake to dilute the intake charge mixture. This has the effect of reducing combustion temperature, thereby reducing formation of nitrogen oxides. Nitrogen oxides are one of the contributors to smog. The engine will also run quite happily without this as well*. Again, you will need to plug the hole in the new header.

* If you have emissions testing in your state you may still need all of these things to pass inspection and/or tailpipe emissions tests. So, YMMV.

The other thing is harder to pin down. Has the carb ever been cleaned out? Is the secondary barrel working properly?

C|

88accordA20A1
07-03-2008, 09:34 PM
the carbs been fed a steady diet of Seafoam and various other cleaners. and the secondary barrel seems to be doin fine but it's hard to tell on such an old carb... damn thing probably needs to be replaced anyway. but i noticed today that my old O2 sensor looked pretty fried. i wasnt sure if OBD0 would react to a bad sensor so dramatically.

gfrg88
07-04-2008, 10:54 PM
hes carbed that equals no cpu lol but if i were you i would try to use everything try not to cut and if you do get another one just for a sake of being done 100% and not half assed lol

i deserved this :slap: lol i dont knw wat i was thinking....

'A20A3'
03-06-2009, 03:33 PM
logan. swap the damn 5-speed into the damn LX-i and stop being damn lazy. then no more damn tractor carb. damn. hahahaha

ps i know logan. he lives in my neighborhood. he's insane in the membrane.:beer: