PDA

View Full Version : Painting Rims

jpetrovic
07-04-2008, 01:32 AM
I am looking to get the 91 Bmw 3 series rims for my accord, and i am also thinkin about painting them black...

the questions are what paint would i use and where would i get it, and what do i need to do to prep the wheel for painting??

thanks

ghettogeddy
07-04-2008, 01:45 AM
local parts store should have wheel coating i would clean them real well with soap and water and a good degreaser make sure to get all the dirt off
then you might want to sand them with a high grade sand paper to rough them up a bit to make sure the paint will stick and then paint
but use a satin or flat black not a gloss

A18A
07-04-2008, 02:09 AM
lol got a big enough sig? i like your tail lights

GraniteLXI
07-04-2008, 04:27 AM
local parts store should have wheel coating i would clean them real well with soap and water and a good degreaser make sure to get all the dirt off
then you might want to sand them with a high grade sand paper to rough them up a bit to make sure the paint will stick and then paint
but use a satin or flat black not a gloss

Why would you not use a high gloss? My original plan when i got my rims for my 3gee. (pulled off another car, free from a friend whenever he gets out of jail :sad2:) was to go with a nice high gloss black. Does flat/satin turn out better on rims with all the curves and such?

cubert
07-04-2008, 05:50 AM
I bought a set of fat fives that were painted gold....

i used a paint stripper, washed them off, sandblasted them, and washed em off again. I used the cheapy 2 or 3 dollar cans of paint from home depot, and did a few coats of paint, and they are holding up excellent.

Accordtheory
07-04-2008, 08:58 AM
lol got a big enough sig?

...dude. You Really need to lower your car. Damn thing looks like an off road vehicle..:)

I painted my 17s with some dupli color gunmetal shit, everyone liked it when I did it, but it needs maintenance. The paint slowly gets chipped, damaged, etc with normal driving. Esp if you have a lot of brake dust and are always cleaning it off, or you drive on gravel, etc.

What do the bmw wheels look like? Are they 17s?

ghettogeddy
07-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Why would you not use a high gloss? My original plan when i got my rims for my 3gee. (pulled off another car, free from a friend whenever he gets out of jail :sad2:) was to go with a nice high gloss black. Does flat/satin turn out better on rims with all the curves and such?

i think so specially if your gonna rattle can it this is just my personal experience and preference

Civic Accord Honda
07-05-2008, 07:45 PM
car look pretty cool maing
and u shud be able to use any spray paint to paint them but if u want a good finish use duplicoil wheel paint from autozone or almost any other auto parts store

jpetrovic
07-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Actually.. I was thinkin a gun metal paint... But i like the tips, the bmw rims are 14inch basicly the same as the 3Geez but it looks a bit better, i saw an accord with them on here
( http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62933 )

Since my car is a darker blue i beleive the gun metal paint will look better,
I KNOW!!! OL' Vonda is sittin pretty high, I want to do a 2 inch drop, but idk what set up i should go with i read the supension thread on what to get but Idk.. i dont really understand...
any pointers on that? b/c my car needs new struts and i wana do the struts and springs at the same time... but idk what kinda springs to get for a good ride... i want a 40% more firm ride...
But yeah, im gettin theses rims at the pic and pull super cheap :D and due to the fact i lost my Job im pretty poor :[

Civic Accord Honda
07-05-2008, 11:42 PM
gun metal would look like sexy nude dubble d titays
(@)Y(@)

ghettogeddy
07-06-2008, 12:09 AM
lol got a big enough sig? i like your tail lights

on that subject i thought there was a size limit and if it was to big it would deny it
whats with that

Civic Accord Honda
07-06-2008, 08:33 AM
on that subject i thought there was a size limit and if it was to big it would deny it
whats with that
i dont think the new version suports the sig thing u can just about upload any size sig now lol

A18A
07-06-2008, 05:23 PM
you just set the link before uploading the pic to get it anysize you want

jpetrovic
07-06-2008, 09:37 PM
you just set the link before uploading the pic to get it anysize you want

Yeah, I did what he said :P

2oodoor
07-07-2008, 03:43 AM
Nice red out taillights !
The duplicolor wheel paint system works great, amazing product. Clean them up good and maybe use a fine grit scotch-brite pad. You may want to dress off any nicks on the rim first as they will show up when it's painted.

The gloss thing I don't know about, the duplicolor uses a clearcoat optional.
You will have to make sure your tire people use rim clamp style tire mount machines, which most use not anyway but be advised.

my duplicolor wheels
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/roodoo2/guy025.jpg

jpetrovic
07-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks on the tail lights,
Thats a nice paint job, looks like the rim came like that.
Is this duplicolor wheel paint system avail at autozone?