PDA

View Full Version : will it fit???

mark_salad_bar
07-04-2008, 03:01 PM
i want to buy this engine i saw on craigs list today....i was wondering how i can tell the difference between an engine equipped with manual trans or automatic trans...being that the engine im buying isnt coming with a transmission at all..and the owner doesnt know jack about it. I have a 5spd ..so i want to know if a auto will fit up to it

lostforawhile
07-04-2008, 03:12 PM
i want to buy this engine i saw on craigs list today....i was wondering how i can tell the difference between an engine equipped with manual trans or automatic trans...being that the engine im buying isnt coming with a transmission at all..and the owner doesnt know jack about it. I have a 5spd ..so i want to know if a auto will fit up to it
auto engine? you will need the flywheel i know that much,just buy a new one and get some good arp bolts to bolt it up. i believe it has the bolt holes already for the flywheel not completly sure. if the engine you are getting is a carb i know you will have to use the carb from the five speed,they are different slightly, the auto carbs also have a dashpot that closes the throttle slower,so the engine doesn't stall,from the drag of the converter.

russiankid
07-04-2008, 04:33 PM
The engines are the same except that the automatic uses a flywheel plate followed by a torque converter where as a 5-speed uses a flywheel with a clutch setup.

Demon1024
07-04-2008, 10:41 PM
just make sure it's an a20... or jdm b20 from an accord. if you have a functional car to begin with and don't mind taking it back apart again later to do the clutch or whatever you already have everything you need just swap the stuff from one to the other. tho i'd suggest getting a new t-belt, oil pump, water pump just for security reasons.