PDA

View Full Version : Timing Confusion!!

PearlDrummer00
07-05-2008, 03:56 PM
im useing a timing light to look at the marks on my flywheel, while adjusting the dizzy (while its running obviosly) and i cant find the
" T " !!! Moving the distributer as far as it can go EACH way. only brings it to past 30 degrees and to 10 degrees!! I cant go any lower than 10 degrees!! My car only runs the best when my dizzy is all the way advanced. This cant be right...could it? Am i missing some other adjustment ?? like crank to cam timing??
any suggestions would be GREAT!

EricW
07-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Is the timing light adjustable? If it is set it to 15 deg and set the pointer on the motor to the T. If the lights not adjustable then find the 15 deg mark on the flywheel or drive plate.

Demon1024
07-05-2008, 10:19 PM
did you remove the vacuum hoses on the dizzy?

with the car off turn the crank by hand till the dizzy is pointing at #1/the up mark is in position on the camshaft. is it where it's supposed to be?
if you still don't see it get someone to help you and slowly crank over the engine by hand while the other person looks for the mark. that should figure it out.

moonjaw2002
07-06-2008, 06:16 AM
When installing the timing belt the t should be visable in the timing window.The cam should say up with both hash marks even with the deck of the head.When the car is running you should not be able to see the t.You should see 10 or 15 in the timing window.Depending on your engine it should be set on 10 or 15.If you advance it too much you will get pinging.Mark

PearlDrummer00
07-06-2008, 08:22 AM
ya when i installed the timing belt all that was acounted for...thats why im a little confused. But im going to check all of this anyways. Its been a couple months since i last worried about it and i just now decided to post something lol