PDA

View Full Version : Weird idle

russiankid
07-05-2008, 04:19 PM
I am experience a weird idle issue. It is hard to describe, that is why I got a video. Mainly, the idle will stay steady for a little bit and then it will surge 50-100rpms. Car runs fine, has new spark plugs and wires. Fuel bowl level is set correct, and I even tried to advance the timing which didn't help. Anyone know what could cause this?
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/?action=view&current=DSCF0086.flv

Whenever the idle surges, it is followed by the pop sound out of the exhaust.

russiankid
07-06-2008, 09:43 AM
No responses? I am going to check my coil as I read it could cause this type of idle.

russiankid
07-06-2008, 03:30 PM
I tested my coil and it has to much resistance. I am going to replace it.

steveko
07-06-2008, 06:03 PM
If that fixes you're problem I'd like too know.

My car has exactly the same idle I tested the coil about a year ago., Exactly like the book says and it passed with flying colors. 70degree weather and so forth.

Oh,by the way clean body you got their. I wish my quarters looked that good I'm jelous.

steveko
07-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Also,forgot too add you're from Pa so am I. Deleware County.

russiankid
07-06-2008, 06:38 PM
I am ordering a replacement tomorrow so I will update as soon as I put it in. Thanks, the car is from down South so that explains the body. I am in Lincoln University, but about 40 minutes from Delaware County. If you want to meet up send me a PM.

steveko
07-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Cool, going on vacation for a week I'll PM you when I get back.

russiankid
07-08-2008, 10:39 AM
I changed the coil out today and it runs smoother. The idle is still a little jumpy, but it was never very smooth on this car.

I have a new problem though. Whenever the engine is cold, there is a loud click or clack noise coming from the distributor area. After the engine is warmed up, it goes away. I am pretty sure it isn't the valves because if I take the oil fill cap off the noise doesn't change.

2oodoor
07-08-2008, 10:52 AM
I changed the coil out today and it runs smoother. The idle is still a little jumpy, but it was never very smooth on this car.

I have a new problem though. Whenever the engine is cold, there is a loud click or clack noise coming from the distributor area. After the engine is warmed up, it goes away. I am pretty sure it isn't the valves because if I take the oil fill cap off the noise doesn't change.

sounds like the dist shaft bearing has too much play...
when you repl the cap and rotor were they a matched set?
might want to check your plug wires going into the cap too

russiankid
07-08-2008, 06:26 PM
sounds like the dist shaft bearing has too much play...
when you repl the cap and rotor were they a matched set?
might want to check your plug wires going into the cap too

Wires and plugs are new. Cap and rotor were bought at the same time and they are about 2 years old. I know the distributor had shaft play a few years back when I replaced the advance diaphragm. I know that reman distributors suck, so whats my best route if I need to replace it?

2oodoor
07-09-2008, 03:39 AM
there are PLENTY of them in the JY. Let them guarantee a used one, that is about the cheapest way out. You could get a fairly new one there by chance as well.
I would attempt to put a new sleeve bearing in if I could find just the bearing too.
Even though the wires are new there could be small break in the wire around the crimp, also may not be fitted well into the cap. Sometimes the rubber boot slides up and the metal crimp is pushed back.

lostforawhile
07-09-2008, 06:05 AM
since he's carbed can't he switch over to the hitachi? you can get a well rebult hitachi for around 140 with an ignitor plus core,vs 400 for a tec

lostforawhile
07-09-2008, 06:06 AM
there are PLENTY of them in the JY. Let them guarantee a used one, that is about the cheapest way out. You could get a fairly new one there by chance as well.
I would attempt to put a new sleeve bearing in if I could find just the bearing too.
Even though the wires are new there could be small break in the wire around the crimp, also may not be fitted well into the cap. Sometimes the rubber boot slides up and the metal crimp is pushed back.well his dizzy is rattling internally as well,it's probably shot,he said it got a lot worse.

russiankid
07-09-2008, 06:48 AM
Right now I have a vacuum leak somewhere, so I am replacing all the lines including ones in the black box. I put a screw driver to the distributor and it seems quiet, so I put it to one of the studs on the valve cover and I hear the ticking noise. So I assume my valves tick when they are cold.

russiankid
07-09-2008, 09:01 AM
I cannot find the damn vacuum leak. I sprayed every vacuum line with carb cleaner and it didn't make a difference!

russiankid
07-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Update:

Looks my jets are clogged. When its trying to idle I can here it 'spitting' fuel, but once I rev it it stops. When I do rev it, I look down the carb and the primary jet(?) has an uneven stream plus droplets of fuel.

lostforawhile
07-09-2008, 09:42 AM
i think you ought to get the rebuilt from importcarbs.com it's around 229 plus core charge and it's totally rebuilt and tested. this company has been around since 79 and the same guy rebuilds every single carb. then you have a fresh carb without problems. when they get this old they start to have more and more problems.

russiankid
07-09-2008, 12:29 PM
i think you ought to get the rebuilt from importcarbs.com it's around 229 plus core charge and it's totally rebuilt and tested. this company has been around since 79 and the same guy rebuilds every single carb. then you have a fresh carb without problems. when they get this old they start to have more and more problems.

I'll eventually will either get one or rebuild one myself, but right now I need to get the car running. I came to the conclusion that its not getting enough fuel because if I mist carb cleaner over the carb it smooths out a lot. Tomorrow I am going to put new fuel filters in and go from there.

Oldblueaccord
07-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Could try this. Rev the motor up a little and slap the choke shut and open real quick not letting the motor die. Dunno what it actually does but it always seemed to make a carb run better. You ll see black smoke out the back when you do it.

wp

lostforawhile
07-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Could try this. Rev the motor up a little and slap the choke shut and open real quick not letting the motor die. Dunno what it actually does but it always seemed to make a carb run better. You ll see black smoke out the back when you do it.

wpthats why i like cars with a manual choke,if someone is tailgating you,next time you come to a light,hit the choke a couple of times smoke him up and leave.

Dr_Snooz
07-10-2008, 10:41 PM
I know I like to harp on bad gas, so l won't here ...much. If $5 gas (in Calif.) has sent you searching for the cheapest option, it might be time to step it up a notch. It probably wouldn't hurt to run a can of Techoon through it either.

russiankid
07-11-2008, 04:59 PM
It happened to be the ground wire on the thermostat. My brother told me to try and mess with it while the engine is running, so I did. Once I touched it the engine smoothed out and idled fine. So I cut off the bad section, soldered a new wire, used heat shrink tubing on the whole wire. I then covered the wire in insulation that was also covered in heat shrink tubing. I then soldered a connector that would go onto the housing and also sealed it with heat shrink tubing.

Also, the idle smoothed out a lot.

lostforawhile
07-11-2008, 05:20 PM
It happened to be the ground wire on the thermostat. My brother told me to try and mess with it while the engine is running, so I did. Once I touched it the engine smoothed out and idled fine. So I cut off the bad section, soldered a new wire, used heat shrink tubing on the whole wire. I then covered the wire in insulation that was also covered in heat shrink tubing. I then soldered a connector that would go onto the housing and also sealed it with heat shrink tubing.

Also, the idle smoothed out a lot.doh!!

steveko
07-12-2008, 06:07 AM
Just got back glad too see you got the problem solved. Sounds like you're not completely satisfied from the last sentence you wrote?

russiankid
07-12-2008, 07:20 AM
Just got back glad too see you got the problem solved. Sounds like you're not completely satisfied from the last sentence you wrote?

It could idle better, but it does idle smooth. :tongue: