PDA

View Full Version : Timing issue with my 1988 Accord

TH1988
07-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Ok, I attempted to time my 88 Accord this weekend. Before, when I adjusted the valves, I noticed that when I had my cam sprocket lined up for TDC on the #1 cylinder, that the "T" mark on the flywheel was not near the pointer. Now, when I went to set the timing, I removed the vac advance line, plugged them and did the prelim adjustment to the T mark. I then plugged the vac advance line back to the dizzy, and had to turn the dizzy almost all the way counterclockwise jut to get it to the 24 degrees listed on the sticker on the hood. My other issue is that I cannot get the idle to adjust to 750-800 rpm that is recommended, 950-1000 is as far down as it wants to go.
My concern is that the previous owner changed the timing belt, and did not make sure that the cam gear and flywheel were properly aligned. Am I correct that when your cam gear is on TDC for the #1 cylinder, that the flywheel "T" mark should be in line with the pointer? I am wondering if it is indeed off, if that is what is causing me to not be able to properly adjust my idle. If this is indeed the issue, is it possible to loosen the belt enough to just slip it off the camshaft gear and get the cam and crankshaft aligned properly? Or will I have to bite the bullet and pull everything off and remove both belt covers?

2oodoor
07-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Yes it sounds like it is off, you have the cam gear were the word "UP" is at 12 o'clock correct?
Get the T mark lined up, then proceed....

The timing belt on these is pretty snug even with the tensioner loose so you can just loosen the tensioner bolt that protrudes out of the cover just below the power steering pump. Then you can pull the belt off being very carefull not to let it fall off any other pulleys, then line it up properly.

If you pull all the plugs out the engine is easy to turn over by hand and you can also shine a light in to see the number one piston go to TDC.

TH1988
07-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Yes it sounds like it is off, you have the cam gear were the word "UP" is at 12 o'clock correct?
Get the T mark lined up, then proceed....

The timing belt on these is pretty snug even with the tensioner loose so you can just loosen the tensioner bolt that protrudes out of the cover just below the power steering pump. Then you can pull the belt off being very carefull not to let it fall off any other pulleys, then line it up properly.

If you pull all the plugs out the engine is easy to turn over by hand and you can also shine a light in to see the number one piston go to TDC.

Yes, my cam gear has the word "UP" and the two hash marks to line up with the top of the cylinder head. Will I need to re-adjust my valves after I line up the crank and camshaft?

russiankid
07-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Not sure if this will help but I have an after market flywheel on my car. The T mark on my flywheel seems to be off a little because my distributor is centered in between retard and advanced. From what I know, that is how its suppose to be.

I am saying this because when I replaced my timing belt, I lined up the cam gear with the UP mark and the two indentions on the gear with the head. The T on the flywheel was off by approximately one tooth.

russiankid
07-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Yes, my cam gear has the word "UP" and the two hash marks to line up with the top of the cylinder head. Will I need to re-adjust my valves after I line up the crank and camshaft?

If the crank and camshaft were not aligned properly, the valves could have been adjusted improperly. To be on the safe side, I would just check them and adjust as needed.

P.S. It seems that your timing is advanced, which is why it could be idling that high. Did you try working with the idle stop screw? Also, is it carb'd?

TH1988
07-07-2008, 01:03 PM
If the crank and camshaft were not aligned properly, the valves could have been adjusted improperly. To be on the safe side, I would just check them and adjust as needed.

P.S. It seems that your timing is advanced, which is why it could be idling that high. Did you try working with the idle stop screw? Also, is it carb'd?

Yes, it is carbed. I adjusted the idle stop screw a lot, and could not get it to adjust below 950 rpm. More and more it seems that they got the timing belt off, and they had to advance the dizzy almost all the way to make up for it.

So, in order to line everything back up, here is what I should do. Line up the "T" mark on the flywheel with the pointer. Double check the cam gear, loosen the tensioner bolt, then slip the top of the timing belt off, rotate the cam gear enough to get it to line up properly with TDC. Then slip the belt back into place, tighten the bolt, adjust the valves, then retime and readjust idle. Anything that I missed, or should check as well?

russiankid
07-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Yes, it is carbed. I adjusted the idle stop screw a lot, and could not get it to adjust below 950 rpm. More and more it seems that they got the timing belt off, and they had to advance the dizzy almost all the way to make up for it.

So, in order to line everything back up, here is what I should do. Line up the "T" mark on the flywheel with the pointer. Double check the cam gear, loosen the tensioner bolt, then slip the top of the timing belt off, rotate the cam gear enough to get it to line up properly with TDC. Then slip the belt back into place, tighten the bolt, adjust the valves, then retime and readjust idle. Anything that I missed, or should check as well?

Sounds like you got it all figured out. If the idle still does not seem to go down afterwards, check the throttle controller. It controls the idle as well, so the stop screw may be out all the way but the throttle controller is still holding the throttle plate.

2oodoor
07-07-2008, 02:32 PM
you got a handle on it !
when you get the belt back on, turn the motor to move the cam gear about 3-4 inches then tighten the tensioner bolt. Turn the motor over a few times and recheck the marks.
If the valves were adjusted too far wrong it would really run like crap, it would be a good idea to check them anyway because it is considered routine maintenance.