PDA

View Full Version : Stop wheel wells from rusting

bhad133
07-07-2008, 04:29 PM
My wheel wells are currently rusting out. If I sand them down and then put on some rust preventing primer followed by a rubber undercoat, will that slow the rusting?

Ichiban
07-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Well, the best way is to sand all the metal back around the rust, cut out the rust, and mig weld in new material. Since you're probably not going to do this, your best bet is to try to neutralize the rust and keep the water out. Make sure you chisel the seam sealer off of the backsides of the rusted area, as it's often loose and trapping water underneath. Scrape it off until it is firmly adhered and reveals no more rust underneath. Grind off the flakey rust, then treat with a rust converter. I usually use Permatex rust converter. Sandblast first if you can. Then fill surface roughness and small pinholes with a quality fiberglass body filler, which will be water resistant and contain its own corrosion inhibitors. Make sure you replace the seam sealer with a quality product (I use Pro-form PF 206, comes in a caulking tube ). Also be sure you get all the angles, wheel well rust can involve visible body metal, the actual wheelhouse, and the trunk and interior. Anything not painted metal should be generously smeared with seam sealer first. Afterwards, prime and paint. Anything that isn't finished body metal, definitely cover with rubberized undercoat.

lostforawhile
07-07-2008, 04:52 PM
you can also buy a pint of epoxy primer mix it like you are going to spray then use a brush,it won't look the best,but it will stop the corrosion and you can paint over it.

Civic Accord Honda
07-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Well, the best way is to sand all the metal back around the rust, cut out the rust, and mig weld in new material. Since you're probably not going to do this, your best bet is to try to neutralize the rust and keep the water out. Make sure you chisel the seam sealer off of the backsides of the rusted area, as it's often loose and trapping water underneath. Scrape it off until it is firmly adhered and reveals no more rust underneath. Grind off the flakey rust, then treat with a rust converter. I usually use Permatex rust converter. Sandblast first if you can. Then fill surface roughness and small pinholes with a quality fiberglass body filler, which will be water resistant and contain its own corrosion inhibitors. Make sure you replace the seam sealer with a quality product (I use Pro-form PF 206, comes in a caulking tube ). Also be sure you get all the angles, wheel well rust can involve visible body metal, the actual wheelhouse, and the trunk and interior. Anything not painted metal should be generously smeared with seam sealer first. Afterwards, prime and paint. Anything that isn't finished body metal, definitely cover with rubberized undercoat.
trust this guy! he did a great job fixing his 2nd gens body he knows what hes talking about!

stat1K
07-07-2008, 07:20 PM
move.

gp02a0083
07-07-2008, 10:31 PM
if your looking into stopping rust POR-15 is the way to go

cubert
07-08-2008, 03:43 PM
if your looking into stopping rust POR-15 is the way to go

Ive heard excellent things about the POR stuff...id say give that a try.

lostforawhile
07-08-2008, 04:15 PM

look at the rust stopper eastwood.com has,it was pitted against the por and did much better.

Low_Rida
07-25-2008, 08:07 AM

I have used POR many times and in my judgement it does the job good.

Vanilla Sky
07-25-2008, 10:58 AM
AFTER you have the rust fixed, spray the inner fenders inside the trunk with bedliner or a POR-type product. I've watched one of my parts cars go from rust free to rusted through, and it started inside the trunk.