PDA

View Full Version : car wont turnover

nomocars23
07-08-2008, 01:25 PM
for the last 3 days ive been having problems starting my car in the mornings .. especially after it rains ... i know its not flooded cause i cant smell gas ... yesterday i got it started and it was fine all day i thouhgt it was just a one day thing ... today i sat there and cranked on it and it cranks but the car wont turn over ... every couple of cranks it will act like it wants to start but i t wont turn over ...

i also made sure the engine ground going from the top of the engine to the engine bay was connected ... so i am at a loss

can some one please help me out

cubert
07-08-2008, 03:20 PM
ok..from what i can understand it sounds like the car is turning over, but not firing. How old is the distibutor cap and rotor? It sounds like it may be that..like there is moisture getting in there.

2oodoor
07-08-2008, 04:03 PM
ok..from what i can understand it sounds like the car is turning over, but not firing. How old is the distibutor cap and rotor? It sounds like it may be that..like there is moisture getting in there.

:werd:

nomocars23
07-08-2008, 05:34 PM

old as the car....? ummm well ive rolled out the battery and corrosion ... so far... illl check the distibutor.. and see whats up ... i also thought about it being the carb too... it may need to be rebuilt or ... somthin... idk ... idt fuel its getting to the engine to keep it runnning .. and yea it does rotate ... it just doesnt fire up

edit: would this also contribute to sputtering and coming close to stalling asome times while driving ... or maybe a cut in power when needed

nomocars23
07-08-2008, 05:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw-oJHJHE7U

87blue88
07-08-2008, 06:29 PM
pull a plug...check for spark...see if there is compression....check timing.

cubert
07-08-2008, 06:38 PM
if it were anything like that i would think it would be a constant problem.....not something random. im still saying dizzy cap

nomocars23
07-08-2008, 06:41 PM
if it were anything like that i would think it would be a constant problem.....not something random. im still saying dizzy cap

would spark plugs and wires be a problem too or not

87blue88
07-08-2008, 06:59 PM
I have had an igniter fail, no spark, similar symptoms also when flooded. If you pull a spark plug and ground it, while trying to turn the engine over you should see a spark. If the plug is wet with gas when you pull it, might be just flooded.
To run the engine needs:
Gas
Spark
Compression
at the right time.
sorry, just reread your original post if there is no gas it might be just a fuel filter.

cygnus x-1
07-09-2008, 06:36 AM
for the last 3 days ive been having problems starting my car in the mornings .. especially after it rains ... i know its not flooded cause i cant smell gas ... yesterday i got it started and it was fine all day i thouhgt it was just a one day thing ... today i sat there and cranked on it and it cranks but the car wont turn over ... every couple of cranks it will act like it wants to start but i t wont turn over ...

i also made sure the engine ground going from the top of the engine to the engine bay was connected ... so i am at a loss

can some one please help me out

This sounds exactly like something that happened to my old Maxima. Everything was fine until it rained one day and was really humid. It would turn over but never start. Turns out there was a crack in the distributor cap and water was getting in. A new cap and rotor fixed the problem.

Keep in mind too that if there is no spark, you might not get any fuel either. The fuel pump relay only turns on the pump if it senses the inductive kick from the coil. So if you're getting no spark or maybe only an intermittent spark, you won't get enough fuel either. Which would be why you don't smell fuel.

C|

nomocars23
07-09-2008, 09:00 AM
ive ruled out .. spark plugs .. because i get a spark
wires
and that ground .. it might be a problem with fuel pump or somthin idk

sorry cell phone picks...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3165/2652528389_4bcdc96ba5_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3267/2652528321_790ac0d087_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3248/2652528265_a1e63ec3cc_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3025/2652528213_3a6a2b9d0a_o.jpg
if you cant see theres a little dampness under the dizzy ... and i felt around it and its kinda moist and oily like ... im still working on getting it off to see whats inside (theres a screw in the back thats hella hard to get to ... cant reach)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3014/2653352254_14ea4c4864_o.jpg

no corrosion and there both tight

now im off to gt the dizz off and see if thers any cracks...

tenchimuyo93
07-09-2008, 09:17 AM
question. will it run if you spray starting fluid in the carb?

if so id say fuel/carb related

nomocars23
07-09-2008, 09:24 AM
i tried puting a dash of fuel in it and nothing happened .. ill try again tho and post what happens

nomocars23
07-09-2008, 10:48 AM
nothin happened .. i went on to take off the distebuter cap and i think i found the problem the spark plug wires where horrible ,,, they were wiggling off the cap and that might be the problem they also had like green junk in the wire connection ... im going to buy new plugs, wires, dizzy, and rotor and install them then ill see what happens

cubert
07-09-2008, 02:58 PM
let us know :thumbup:

AccordB20A
07-09-2008, 09:06 PM
yeah i saw the green on one of the pics and i thought corrosion

cygnus x-1
07-09-2008, 09:11 PM
nothin happened .. i went on to take off the distebuter cap and i think i found the problem the spark plug wires where horrible ,,, they were wiggling off the cap and that might be the problem they also had like green junk in the wire connection ... im going to buy new plugs, wires, dizzy, and rotor and install them then ill see what happens

You have a coolant leak somewhere around there. Antifreeze is kind of oily and causes sort of a green corrosion on copper terminals. If you're brave you can smell/taste the wet stuff. I bet it's sweet like antifreeze.

C|

chowder
07-09-2008, 09:45 PM
if not none of that work last resort is fuel pump i recently had the same problem but my car already has a new dist, plugs and wires, so i ruled those out and my car would turnover but not fire all the way, and ended being the fuel pump, pump was replaced maybe 4 years ago too.

nomocars23
07-10-2008, 08:59 AM
You have a coolant leak somewhere around there. Antifreeze is kind of oily and causes sort of a green corrosion on copper terminals. If you're brave you can smell/taste the wet stuff. I bet it's sweet like antifreeze.

C|

... i know what happend .. along time ago .. i had an accident and antifreeze must have got in the terminals ... omg ... shit i know hat happened now ... thanks .. and btw the spark plugs wires rotor and dizzy all worked ... the rotor was missing the external peice or what ever ... so that might of add to the problem also .. thanks alot guys...

now i have to fix a leaky valvle cover gasket