PDA

View Full Version : help my dash illumination just died

Micah 89LXi
05-08-2002, 04:42 PM
there seems to be no fuse i can find for this...it has to be a fuse..it doesnt turn illumination on and the headlight beeping has stopped also...help!!

Micah 89LXi
05-08-2002, 05:19 PM
basically this means i can drive at night but ill have no idea how fast im going....common guys..somebody's gotta know somthing

carotman
05-08-2002, 05:24 PM
check the dimmer

Micah 89LXi
05-08-2002, 05:34 PM
Where?...liek where is this thing i should look for..and whats it look like?..there is no dimmer fuse

Micah 89LXi
05-08-2002, 08:36 PM
21 views and no other replys ...somebody has to have had problems like this in the past...how do i check the dimmer..i gotta get this fixed...

88WhiteLX-i
05-08-2002, 08:46 PM
did you check all your fuses under your hood too?

HostileJava
05-09-2002, 06:04 AM
The dimmer is the little roller thing next to the switch that makes your lights popup without turning them on. It adjusts the brightness of the interior illumination.

1988starter
05-09-2002, 07:45 AM
it should be a 15 volt fuse blue next to your spare ones it is not labled for the dash. Under the dash bord.

Micah 89LXi
05-09-2002, 12:33 PM
okay ur gonna have to be a whole lot more specific
...i looked for what u said..next to where?..what number slot?
i need a diagram or something if u know where it is u should be able to tell me where

smufguy
05-09-2002, 12:46 PM
hey micah, its u again. :) that is really weird man. your guage all of a sudden went black. how is the dimmer switch? did u roll it up and down. that sounds cheesy. is any of the lights in your console like the heater control and the fan switch light up too or are they out too? this is the first every problem we have heard of. did it happen all of a sudden or after the accident and happen after u started to fix it?

Micah 89LXi
05-09-2002, 01:29 PM
happened yesterday man as far as i know...and it worked when i got my headlights workin..it juts decided not to..nothing on the dash lights up..and headlight indiactors dont beep anymore

Micah 89LXi
05-09-2002, 01:46 PM
*indicators..haha indactors

1988starter
05-09-2002, 02:46 PM
OK ajust your seat all the way back and then tilt it all the way down lay on the seat with your feet at the top. look under all the stearing wheel stuff and above the brake pedal area there should be a fuse box for me it was the number 14 fuse a blue 15volt or amp take a look good luck

Micah 89LXi
05-09-2002, 05:23 PM
yup it was fuse 14 but only prob is something is pulling too much power and fuse 14 blows everytime i turn my lights on...so now not only do i have no dash i have no license plate lights or tail lights..which means still no night driving...guh..i dont know whats wrong..what could be pulling power..i havent done any mods in quite a while

Micah 89LXi
05-09-2002, 05:31 PM
my friend suggested maybe i got some water in one of the lights and thats why its shorting out...would make sense considering all this rain...ill check that tommorow...gotta be either the right tail or the license plate lights

offthahook
05-09-2002, 06:41 PM
Try the brightness control amplifier. It's under the steering wheel. It's black and looks like a pack of cigs with a place to plug in a harness. That was my problem. It's not the switch, it's under your wheel next to the warning chime...

smufguy
05-09-2002, 07:47 PM
hey offtha hook are you talking about the one like right below the steering wheel and the cover that pops off? the one near the steering tilt lever? i dont have a clue what that thing is man. is it the warning chime? hmmm, hey micah, the bulbs blowin off wont make everything go bizzar bro. IF any of your tail lights blow off, the braklight warning indicator appears on your dash. it must be the one offthahook said, but i have no clue if its that thing. do u think it might be some loose connections? but u said even your license plate lights wont work. thats really odd. :confused: . You seem to get all the weird probs. :p just kidding man. hope u figure it out.

1988starter
05-10-2002, 04:11 AM
the dash licence and rear lights are all the same fuse.

Kid_Hatchback
05-10-2002, 08:05 AM
Hey,
I'm with you on this one man. I have the same type of probelm only without the blown 14 fuse. I've checked them all, even the ones that don't even pertain to the problem. All the fuses check out fine. I've been looking for this pack of cigarettes thing and am not finding anything of the sort. If anyone has some pics of this cigarette pack looking thing by all means post them cause I'm about out of every other option and the next step is the shop :(

offthahook
05-10-2002, 10:11 PM
It's the plate covering the tilt lever. It's held on with a few screws and it just drops sorta. It's black with a 5 pin harness that plugs into it and the chime is right there, too. That has to be it. Hard to describe, right under the steering column.

CoAsTeR
05-11-2002, 05:50 AM
keep blowing a fuse? replace it with a penny.............
hehehhehe... just kidding, don't listen to that one :)

:pissed:

CoAsTeR
05-11-2002, 06:00 AM
here is the wiring diagram ffor the dimmer control. 2 parts

look in section b27 for the dimmer control amplifier

CoAsTeR
05-11-2002, 06:05 AM
here is the other half of the diagram.... if you need the rest of the underdash or engine compartment diagrams, just say so and I'll post em' as well..... Hope this helps

CoAsTeR
05-11-2002, 06:09 AM
errr... that diagram is for an 88', not an 89'. the only difference is a couple extra options, but the wiring never changed much. if this isn't good enough, I'll post the 89' schematics as well. :D

smufguy
05-11-2002, 07:44 PM
shit coaster, how many programs do u run simultaneously. damn man u got freaking 500 MBS of ram or what??? :lol

CoAsTeR
05-11-2002, 08:14 PM
hahaha buddy, thats nothing.... I run so many programs, I get two arrows on the end of it cuz I filled up the taskbar :) I'm running 512mb crucial DDR overclocking ram. Just need a Vid-card to finish off the system... I only have a geforce 2 :rolleyes:

smufguy
05-11-2002, 10:20 PM
geez man...... DDR?? Dude your one crazy maniac for sure. :D geforce 2 only? your just going crazy sky high. hahaha, cant wait to dump this 128 of mine and get a 512, but its not a ddr, its gonna be just a SDRAM. :mad: . freaking dell 4300. grrrrrrr. but geforce is good though, got a MX on my puter with P4. Runs decent but for sure i need more ram. and by the way, nice computer. :flash:

CoAsTeR
05-11-2002, 10:33 PM
Thnx.. its about as riced out as my car is hehehehhe.. I'll post pics of it heheheh... I got neon cathode lighting inside, with plexiglass sidepanels so you can see all the LED's blinkin away and the 9 fans pumpin' air to keep this b*tch cool enough to overclock hehehe..
She gets overclocked to over 2.2Ghz when I'm doing more complex instructions.....
its only an XP1600+ on Epox 8KHA+ w/512 crucial DDR, SB Live, Geforce 2 (I want at least G3), about 50gb HD (and I'm full?!? can you believe it?!), and of course... my 21" Iiyama Visionmaster 502 :) Its a very... 'pretty' computer :) It gets me by...... could be better.... but the car sucks my money in the summer, computer in the winter heheheh

:rice:

smufguy
05-12-2002, 06:42 PM
:bow: :bow: COASTER :bow: :bow:

You are a God :bow: :bow: :D

Micah 89LXi
05-12-2002, 10:59 PM
aight..i fixed it..turns out it was hella simple..when i was messing with ym cd player..my dimmer wire touched a metal part and grounded out that circuit..so i got it taped off and everything works now..thanks for everyones help

CoAsTeR
05-13-2002, 06:58 AM
yeah, you bring up a valid point there..... I can't remember all the millions of wires I forgot to put tape on after I cut em'... hahhaha... I'm like 'yeah, I'll just do that later'.... I have this feeling my laziness will catch up to me.... my stereo goes BSSSZZZZZZZZZTTTTTT!!$!$!@%% everytime I turn a corner :eek: cuz I forgot to tape up the wire from my amp/sub after I removed it (blew my 2ND 12" pioneer lethal bass). Time for a kicker....

smufguy
05-13-2002, 08:14 PM
Dude you are one funky guy u know that? but we all still like u :p :lol :D

Kid_Hatchback
05-16-2002, 09:27 AM
finally found the illumination thing. It was mounted to the plastic piece under the wheel. I can finally see how fast i'm going at night. The road is a safer place.